SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-21-15, 06:22 AM   #31
Leandros
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by eon2k View Post
Slient Hunter 4 on Win 8.1 I don't have problems at all. runs smooth.
I'm sure we are all happy for you........ I have also my problems sorted out now after some good help from the Community here.

Regds

Fred

Old 01-21-15, 02:16 PM   #32
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

I never understood the need for LAA. I have used SH on 32 and 63 bit OS and never had an issue.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-15, 10:48 AM   #33
pdiddy
Gunner

Downloads: 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc4ulfate View Post
I never understood the need for LAA. I have used SH on 32 and 63 bit OS and never had an issue.
I can vouch for LAA. On a new machine with 8gb of RAM, I almost never had CTD issues, but did have lag issues until using LAA. Smooth as silk now.

So depending on your system, maybe not essential, but could be helpful.
pdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-15, 12:09 PM   #34
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc4ulfate View Post
It's not so much which 32 or 64 bit OS you're using, but how much RAM memory your computer has AND, the amount of memory the game has access to. Not all memory your computer has is used by the game. The stock SH4 game is limited to using less than 2 gig's of memory, no matter how much memory your computer may have. This is ok as long as you don't use too many mods that don't pay attention to how much memory it takes to display things.

For instance, when mods don't pay attention to their created image memory size, the game becomes bogged down....using too much memory of the less than 2 gigs allowed by the game. How does the mods new images do that? By either making the mod image larger than the original (instead of having a stock 64x64 pixel size image, it's made into a 512x512 pixel size image) or, there are MipMaps added to the image when there's no need to have them added. These are just two ways a modded game will increase the need for more memory usage over a stock game. TMO, RFB, are notorious for adding memory hogging images to the stock game causing additional memory shortages.

Put a large convoy of ships, plane fly overs, explosions, into the mix and the game can literally come to a stop.

LAA forces the stock game to use more than the 2 gig's maximum memory, set as the "standard amount" in 2003 (the game engine for SH4 is the same as SHIII). The difference in which 32 or 64 bit OS systems used is in the amount of extra memory the game will have added once LAA is added. A 32 bit OS gains 1 additional gig of ram memory for the game. A 64 bit OS will use a total of 4 gigs of ram memory for the game. Either way, it's an improvement over the stock game usage of available ram......no matter how much ram memory your computer may have. Don't fool yourself in thinking that having a cutting edge 12 gigs of ram is going to keep the game running smoother than a computer having 3 gigs of ram. It won't. The limitation is in how much the game has access to, not the total amount of ram memory in your computer.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-15, 04:39 AM   #35
Lt commander lare
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 781
Uploads: 35
SHO

Hello I cant get sh4 to work on my machine upgraded my windows 7 computer to windows 8.1 and now sh4 wont work at all and it worked fine on this pc before the install and I have a labtop and sh4 works fine on that tried compatibility mode everything the game wont start and even installed it on c drive not in programs/86 and still wont start can anyone help get me back on patrol thanks.

Lt Cmdr Lare
Lt commander lare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-15, 04:45 AM   #36
Lt commander lare
Grey Wolf

SHO

And when I click the exe tab nothing happens at all totally frustrated.

Lt Cmdr Lare
Old 02-09-15, 05:53 AM   #37
Lt commander lare
Grey Wolf

SHO

Hi working fine now had display settings wrong didn't know it all good works fine on windows 8.1.

Lt Cmdr Lare
Old 02-17-15, 06:10 AM   #38
lasse9u
Nub

Downloads: 148
I bought Silent Hunter 3 from Steam, it was not so expensive, did not work on my OS, Windows 8.1 computer. makes the SH-4 it?
Do they work on DVD? Both SH-3 and SH-4th?
Would be very grateful for answers.
lasse9u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-15, 09:55 AM   #39
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasse9u View Post
I bought Silent Hunter 3 from Steam, it was not so expensive, did not work on my OS, Windows 8.1 computer. makes the SH-4 it?
Do they work on DVD? Both SH-3 and SH-4th?
Would be very grateful for answers.
I can't speak for SH3, but SH4 should very well under 8.1. Listing your computer specs might help give us a better idea.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-15, 05:39 PM   #40
lasse9u
Nub

Downloads: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
I can't speak for SH3, but SH4 should very well under 8.1. Listing your computer specs might help give us a better idea.

Thank You. I bought today a begangnad 'physically' DVD copies {cheap] SH 4th it works in Windows 8.1. will try to find similar SH-3.
Buy and download from Steam of these older games are not preferable.
To look for some good modds to the game here. SubSim seems to be the best, for it.
I thank you for your prompt reply.
lasse9u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-15, 06:05 PM   #41
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I have a newer copy of SH3 (purchased in 2010) and it works fine with Win 8.1.
Old 06-02-15, 11:35 PM   #42
kenny11715
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 7
Default What display settings did you change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt commander lare View Post
Hi working fine now had display settings wrong didn't know it all good works fine on windows 8.1.

Lt Cmdr Lare
Hi, just wondering what you changed with display settings (old; new). Was it simply a matter of changing the screen size/aspect ratio, or was it a more complex change? Were they SH4 Options Menu display settings, or settings in the Windows Control Panel?

For me, SH4 runs great in Windows 8.0, but after it auto-updated to Windows 8.1, SH4 crashes early and often in any 3D screen (that is, pretty much any screen except crew management or navigation), especially when fire is involved. I noticed in Device Manager that several of the display mode files had been rewritten during the 8.1 upgrade. No combination of anything yet on this thread resolved it (compatibility, read only, install location, etc), but my problem was fixed very nicely by reinstalling Windows 8.0. FWIW, the following link gives a solution for preventing the 8.0 to 8.1 automatic upgrade:
HTML Code:
http://www.askvg.com/how-to-stop-automatic-forced-upgrade-from-windows-8-to-windows-8-1/
just in case this may be helpful to others.

Maybe what you changed with your display would help my issue. As for the long run, I may opt to create a sandboxed Windows 7 virtual machine using VMware, that way I can get my workshop PC back up to the present without having older games break on some future auto update. It looks like SH4 runs a bit more reliably on Win7.

Thanks everybody for the many helpful thoughts.
kenny11715 is offline   Reply With Quote