SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Indie Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-20-15, 08:20 AM   #121
nsomnia
Weps

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 0

My partner simulating every single tank on the Nautilus. 18 I think.

Old 03-23-15, 12:19 AM   #122
nsomnia
Weps

Got a basic radar system setup that detects all enemies within your radar systems range. Currently its just a GUI but unreal makes it easy to display it on a 'monitor' on a 3d model, so future feature -> man the radar station.

Next up get a basic sonar system working. Much harder.

Tech demo still april release date.
Old 03-24-15, 10:16 AM   #123
nsomnia
Weps

Blender doesnt appear to be working well with Unreal 4 so I'm having to learn to apply my 3D modelling skills to Maya. Will take us back a little bit but a demo release for first week of april is still my goal and somtime in april is my deadline.
Old 03-25-15, 04:49 AM   #124
nsomnia
Weps

Got it rigged up in Maya, now we can focus on building everything we were supposed to be building when we were trying to bandaid the Blender skeletal problem, should've just used Maya in the end. It took me one day to learn to rig and bind in Maya properly for Unreal 4.

Expect big updates soon. Radar, time system etc.

The cool thing about Unreal is now that its rigged I dont need to animate it, I just go into Unreals skeleton editor and record me rotating the rudder 45 degrees and then cut out the empty frames and call it "rudder45dToPort_anim" its pretty frickin cool. Once Unreal fixes its bugs and adds some more support for formats other than .fbx and .png it'll blow Unity out of the water for anything except 2D and Mobile.

Unfortunatly theres no webplayer for an unreal game (well there is sortve, but not for what we are doing) so I have to post videos of the "cool stuff" if you guys dont mind watching them.
Old 03-25-15, 07:58 PM   #125
Chad
ACE

Downloads: 60

Post everything you got! Videos preferably, but will take just about any update
Old 03-26-15, 02:10 AM   #126
nsomnia
Weps

A lot of work for two people. Got a basic compass working tonight in about 30 minutes of playing around. And in inverse, it allows us to calculate angle off bow from an enemy ship, whether that will make it into the free demo, we'll have to see how far we get and how long we put the release date off, we have a new buyoancy system to play with and weather is supposed to be done this week. Im offically on the ocean plugin dev team should I should have access to beta features earlier.

Simple example just drawn on the hud.

Old 03-26-15, 11:19 AM   #127
rainiere
Seaman

Downloads: 281

This is one intriguing thread! Following the progress here and just being amazed at what is being created!
rainiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-15, 03:38 PM   #128
nsomnia
Weps

Got a whole new buoyancy system which uses the water density versus the mass density so we can simulate blowing and venting tanks more realistically. We also have the ability to make any mesh blow apart into random seeded chunks and float on the water (working to make them sink randomly at random speeds)
Old 03-26-15, 06:40 PM   #129
nsomnia
Weps

Having to do my C++ coding on the new buoyancy system to add a feature for my co-founder and having errors. Calling it a day for the time being. Coding stresses me out when I cant use regular debugging.

Building bird flocking based off fish flocking so when your on the bridge and surfaced birds will be attracted to the player if wihin a ceertain distance of land.
Old 03-27-15, 03:46 AM   #130
nsomnia
Weps

Putting things like environment and sensors and modelling aside because while I'm not putting blame on my partner, alot of changes has caused our base sub logic to change 3 or 4 times over. Were now doing it for hopefully the last time., together.

Then the real fun can start.
Old 03-27-15, 06:58 AM   #131
nsomnia
Weps

Helped him out to get it turning. How do you guys figure it looks when turning?

2 minutes - dead slow ahead hard to starboard then back flank.

Edit: I should add I got my binocular script from Unity ported over about 75% to Unreal. The reaason we've made such progress so fast is because I have an 'in' in the community ocean project and weve been working 10-16 hour days each.

Last edited by nsomnia; 03-27-15 at 07:50 AM.
nsomnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-15, 04:23 PM   #132
nsomnia
Weps

Getting drag figured out today with my partner and while he takes breaks I'm making my binoculars and learning raycasting (its not advanced per-say in Unreal, just very very flexible, it returns what object it hit, how long it took to it how, how far the ray took to hit it, where the object is the ray hit, where on the object the ray hit, the surface normal it hit, the location of the impact point, the location of the normal it hit, the physics material type it hit, the actor type it hit (actor = gameobject like a mesh, light, skybox, trigger volume, character etc.), the component it hit (components are things like text widgets, meshes, cameras, etc), the bone it hit (in a rigged mesh aka a skeletal mesh aka a 3d object with moving parts), the bone item it hit (not sure about that one), and it returns a boolean (true/false) if it hit anything at all as well as a boolean if anything is preventing it from ray casting to its full distance IE did it raycats the full distance you specified or did it hit somewhere inbetween.

Thats outputs. Inputs are where to start the raycast, where to end it, trace channel (visibility vs camera have to research that one), trace complex boolean (allows for complex hits it says), it allows you put input an array of actors (again actor = gameobject) to ignore and pass right through, it has input for drag debug type to draw an actual line which is an enum selectin of none, one frame, or full raycast duration, and a boolean input to ignore itself.

Very flexible. You will love Unreal once you get used to it Chad you will be able to build your prohibition game like it was nothing. Especially with a partner that can get you started (like I was lucky to get).

So yeah, binoculars today and getting the drag setup so the boat slows down and speed up properly.

Just so I'm sure. Ahead slow is is about 1/16-1/32 speed, slow is about 1/3, standard is 2/3 ful is 3/3 and flank is 110% right? And then reverse dead slow is 1/32-1/64 full speed, reverse slow is 2/3 minus about 15-20% reverse full is full speed minus about 25% and emergency back is full sped minus about 35-40%.... sound about right for a WWII boat like the Nautilus? (No cigar shaped bow). If anyone has any speed figures for any US submarines post WW1 at the different telegraph settings let me know.
Old 03-27-15, 05:47 PM   #133
nsomnia
Weps

Some atmosphere pics WIP on the lightning.

Old 03-28-15, 05:15 AM   #134
nsomnia
Weps

Tonights progress. I was watching tv and my partner suprised me with this.

Gotta fix a small bug and some technical innaccuracies (for example you only use the stern planes to level out not dive and surface, correct?) then I can add crash dive and blow all ballast some sounds, work on my textures and materials and then start a torpedo system.

The clock is ticking.

I dont want to release a terrible demo on the 5th.

- 30 seconds just to show all the moving parts.
Old 03-28-15, 05:26 PM   #135
nsomnia
Weps

Forgot about this one. Our debug HUD (you can have multiple huds for different levels, debugging etc.)