SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-07-12, 12:21 AM   #91
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno_Mariner View Post
I've been working on getting a circular orbit with "Givemevodka III" and well... my very first 'successful' Orbit ended up as an Elliptical Orbit....

I can't get the rocket to stay where it should be while I'm adjusting, but I'll get there... (using trial ver til I can afford the better version)
Checking back on it before I posted, it seems to have worked, I'm still in the orbit track, guess it's successful on the part that I actually entered orbit...
You do know the mechanics of how to enter an orbit right??

1. Fire straight up (I go to about 25k)
2. Turn towards 90* (East) at a 45* angle for a while (Gravity Turn)
3. When your AP reaches a desired height (Lowest is 70km I believe) cut engines (x) and float to your AP (IMPORTANT TO MAKE SURE YOU ARE POINTING AT EXACTLY THE 90* (East)
4. When you reach the Apoapsis (AP) Full throttle and go into map view and cut engines when your PE reaches the same height

Good luck out there!
Old 12-07-12, 03:56 AM   #92
Geno_Mariner
Weps

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I really don't know the mechanics (Obie did explain some.. xD), I tried watching a few Youtube vids and following what they showed but yeah, my rocket kept drifting so much til it exceeded 100,000m before I even got to orbit... The elliptical orbit eventually ended in distaster as soon as it got to the Peropsis, something happened to the structure and I heard some explosion while I was chatting to someone else, checked back to see the crew KIA. Since I couldn't find the time warp, the orbit lasted nearly 1.5 hours or so

Thanks I shall give this another go til I get a perfect orbit!
Old 12-07-12, 04:22 AM   #93
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

@Lionclaw
I totally love your designs, very nice, clean and functional!

I just posted some of my stuff, including a link to my program for the rest of this year in the screenshots thread.
Old 12-07-12, 06:26 AM   #94
Lionclaw
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
Loving the lander Lionclaw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nippelspanner View Post
@Lionclaw
I totally love your designs, very nice, clean and functional!

I just posted some of my stuff, including a link to my program for the rest of this year in the screenshots thread.
Thanks guys.

I like the station you've made, clean thought out design.

And that "Krussian" module, can't see all the details. But from the bottom part of the ship where it's angled out and the solar panels it resembles the Soyuz spacecraft.
Lionclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-12, 10:24 AM   #95
Geno_Mariner
Weps

Downloads: 0

Severvaya made her first orbit. And it looks a bit better than Givemevodka's last orbit but still not perfect... Working on it!

Old 12-07-12, 11:26 AM   #96
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno_Mariner View Post
I really don't know the mechanics (Obie did explain some.. xD), I tried watching a few Youtube vids and following what they showed but yeah, my rocket kept drifting so much til it exceeded 100,000m before I even got to orbit... The elliptical orbit eventually ended in distaster as soon as it got to the Peropsis, something happened to the structure and I heard some explosion while I was chatting to someone else, checked back to see the crew KIA. Since I couldn't find the time warp, the orbit lasted nearly 1.5 hours or so

Thanks I shall give this another go til I get a perfect orbit!
Another tip, to help circualize your orbit, when you are at the Periapsis or Apoapsis, to raise the one opposite of it, burn prograde (The direction you are heading it looks like the tail of a plain with a circle (green) on your navball) and to lower it burn retrograde.

The explosion I believe is a bug from a while back, that shouldnt happen if it didnt hit anything.

Go to KerbalSpaceProgramForums and look at all the how tos there, learn orbiting,

THEN getting to the Mun (Its easy, orbit easterly and burn prograde when the Mun 'rises' above kerbin (AS SOON AS YOU SEE IT) ,

Then learn orbital rendevouz (Because as soon as you get 18.1 with docking, youre gonna want to know) and try to get good at it. But work on the basics first getting cirular orbits (or whichever orbit you want for that matter) is the basics.

Keep asking qeustions too

ON ANOTHER NOTE..

It seems like actually building something to go up into space is a bit tougher via .18, Idk if it was me being used to SundayPunch packs or what but man its tough.
Old 12-07-12, 12:39 PM   #97
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Speaking of rendezvous:

Bob and Jeb in a second successful rendezvous, now with extra docking!

This is a good thread for rendezvous and docking:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/...ial-request%29

Last edited by Oberon; 12-07-12 at 12:57 PM.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-12, 02:38 PM   #98
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

How is the Kerbal engineer mod supposed to work? I place the chip on my craft but it does not seem to do anything is there some way to activate it?

I see on the file page that it is for 0.17 it does not work yet with 0.18.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-12, 03:24 PM   #99
Spike88
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealhead View Post
How is the Kerbal engineer mod supposed to work? I place the chip on my craft but it does not seem to do anything is there some way to activate it?

I see on the file page that it is for 0.17 it does not work yet with 0.18.
Probably broken for .18. It should open a window when you place it on your ship.
Old 12-07-12, 11:24 PM   #100
Stealhead
Navy Seal

In the KSP forums the mod developer said that he thinks it has something to do with how the GUI works with 0.18.
Old 12-08-12, 12:34 AM   #101
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Man this game is truly awesome I like simply trying to figure things out on my own it makes it more enjoyable when you get it right.I have got getting into a sucessful orbit down pat after trail and error.
Old 12-08-12, 12:45 AM   #102
Spike88
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealhead View Post
Man this game is truly awesome I like simply trying to figure things out on my own it makes it more enjoyable when you get it right.I have got getting into a sucessful orbit down pat after trail and error.
I spent a good 2 hours(while Deep Impact was on) trying to get a Probe around Eve. It was a fair amount of trial and error, and when I finally succeeded it felt great.
Old 12-08-12, 06:55 AM   #103
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike88 View Post
I spent a good 2 hours(while Deep Impact was on) trying to get a Probe around Eve. It was a fair amount of trial and error, and when I finally succeeded it felt great.
Then Wolf crashed into Kerbin?
Old 12-08-12, 07:24 AM   #104
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Meanwhile, the mission to put a Kerbal on the Mun and return him to Kerbin has begun!

Lift-off of the Kerblas IIIb rocket, Jeb is smiling, all is good.

Prepare to jettison boosters...oh...fuuuuuuuuu

That awkward moment when Jebediah Kerman stops smiling...

A few modifications later and the mission is now in Kerbin orbit, ready to begin transfer to the Mun...hopefully...
Old 12-08-12, 07:36 AM   #105
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionclaw View Post
Thanks guys.

I like the station you've made, clean thought out design.

And that "Krussian" module, can't see all the details. But from the bottom part of the ship where it's angled out and the solar panels it resembles the Soyuz spacecraft.
Soyuz? I don´t know much about russian space engineering, could be a Soyuz.
Anyway, it burned up in athmosphere many hours ago...

I started a new one and just added my "Nightingale" (after Florence Nightinglae) service/life support module, which is a Oxygen tank I created out of an old Expi Stations mod(?) part.

The new KSS now looks like this:

Unity is the top module, Nightingale the tank at the bottom.
I placed it far away from everything important in case of an explosion (how clever to attach lights, driven by electricity on it).

ARGUS Program mission 03 is a go in ~ 5 minutes, brining up the "Newton" (Isaac Newton) module,
which is a science and research module containing an ISA dish and a technically highly complicated... thermometer.

That is my current workhorse, the Kariane 5 (C mod). It can boost ~20t into a low circular orbit with some extra fuel.
However, since my KSS is on a path with 52° inclination, I need every drop of fuel available.
Do you have any tips how to efficiently rendezvous with a target that has so much inclination?
I usually achieve a more or les circular orbit around 80-120km, coast to AN/DN and burn to change the inclination, which takes a looong time and mostly 3-5 burns.