SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-29-17, 02:47 PM   #1
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbeauregard View Post
You do not need a precise 90 degree AOB, which a clear understanding of the firing geometry makes plainly obvious. In fact the ideal torpedo track angle is between 100 and 120 degrees as shown on this convenient Wikipedia chart. (Valid only for 46 knot torpedoes)

A understanding of the math involved allows zero gyro angle shots with ANY target AOB. One need only reduce the 90 AOB bearing by the appropriate amount for the AOB situation.

25% reduction for 60 degrees

50% for 40 degrees

75% for 18 degrees.

I still haven't seen your video demonstration of hitting a 27 knot target at 8000 yards with four consecutive torpedoes.

I can see why you are reluctant to post it. It seems you are prone to errors and reluctant to use any method that requires you to accurately determine precise values under pressure.

PS I think it is hilarious that the method you posted by Gutted and mine are identical and in your haste to be "right" you can't even see that.
First of all, there is no AoB in your method, which uses only the velocities of torpedoes and targets. And if you don't have a 90 degree angle, your fancy arccotangent has less meaning than the back of a cereal box. You can't hit the broad side of Hawaii. Trigonometry only works for right triangles. Your method is busted. It's a ruse.

I already explained how you can set up missions in SH4 where the target track is 90 degrees from your course (coincidence! No need to even mention it! Just an insignificant detail unworthy of note!) and with your bogus dog and pony show, put dozens of ships on the bottom and claim victory. Another clown has done that long before you got the idea. I can do it to and refuse. My proof of concept is in the hundreds who have, after frustration with other methods, used my methods and succeeded. I don't have to make any claims. They do it for me. The Sub Skippers Bag of Tricks thread is full of them over a nine year period.

I teach complete methods, methodically, in simple language. No outside tools or calculators, every detail can be done completely within the game with tools provided by the game. I don't use tables or calculations that can't easily be done in your head. I don't skip any steps. If your cat follows the recipe he will sink ships in the game with no cheater setups needed to supply missing details. My methods work all the time for random encounters.

It seems like that's a pretty simple recipe for success and many others on Subsim have done as well, but you, sir, are not one of them. Nobody, following your instructions alone, will have much success so long as you stick to the use of only two factors, target speed and torpedo speed, to generate a "solution." Once in a hundred shots where the tracks are at right angles, they will get a hit. But they will quit using it long before then. Leaving out parameters and steps spells doom to your method.

Gutted specified that the target track be 90 degrees from your course. You claimed it wasn't a factor and didn't need to be considered. They are not the same. You can't seem to see that. Let's quote you again and graph the consequences of your statement, just for fun. You never backed off your foundation statement and it is so wrong that anything after it is garbage.

The conclusion is inescapable. Only by rigging the mission in the game and making a fake video claiming that your factors were the only ones considered can you hit the broad side of Hawaii. Your method is a fraud.

Your only defenses available are you've been quoted wrong (easily refuted), somehow setting up according to your scheme forces the opposition to assume a course 90 degrees from yours (deja vu from the other fraud), or fixing your method to account for the missing necessary parameter in order to have a valid firing solution at all. To describe a specific triangle you need three sides, two sides and one angle or two angles and one side. All demand three parameters, not your two. You have described an infinite number of triangles, as my graph plainly and irrefutably shows. That is why you have refused to engage it. You can't. So like a Flat Earther, you distract with an impressive pile of irrelevant stuff that means nothing: accusations, spouting formulae and numbers, hey, look at your videos, general statements that mean nothing like "understanding the math makes it possible to shoot straight", hey, check out this Wikipedia article, claiming 100% correspondence with a method entirely different......it will go on and on as it does for anybody admitting defeat. All those behaviors are those of someone who knows they're in the wrong but is unwilling to do anything to fix it. It's sad, but common.

I probably said it before, but you haven't done it yet: defend your position. I say that in addition to torpedo speed and target speed, owncourse and target track are necessary parts of a solution. You say "The only information required for a zero gyro angle firing solution is the target speed and the torpedo speed." Show me and everyone else you're right. I proved my side more than once in the thread.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 08-29-17 at 03:35 PM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote