Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-19, 06:10 AM   #9691
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Now that May and Steptoe are talking (I doubt any worthwhile conclusion will happen) the divisions in Labour are starting to unfold.

Quote:
Labour chairman Ian Lavery offered to resign from the shadow cabinet after twice defying party orders to vote in favour of a new Brexit referendum.

Labour ordered its MPs to vote in favour of a "confirmatory referendum" on a Brexit deal, but Mr Lavery abstained.

His Wansbeck constituency voted 56% in favour of Leave in the 2016 referendum.

Labour sources confirmed Mr Lavery's offers of resignation were both turned down by Jeremy Corbyn. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47814353

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 04-04-19, 07:23 AM   #9692
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

It was reported on the radio last night some paper was saying seven cabinet ministers were going to resign over May's meeting with Jezzer.

Sounds like a load of FAKE NEWS too me.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 04-04-19, 10:11 AM   #9693
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Dear oh dear, a leaky roof has closed the Commons for the day. It must be cricket they play in there because it certainly isn't politics

I should imagine the bars and restaurants inside are doing a roaring trade right now

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-pol...-to-water-leak

Old 04-04-19, 10:52 AM   #9694
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

That fits. The German translation for "damage on the roof" would be "Dachschaden" - and that is a synonyme for a person being nuts. "Der hat einen Dachschaden"/"He has a damaged roof" means: he is nuts, crazy, insane.
Old 04-04-19, 02:19 PM   #9695
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

I'm not making fun of anybody, okay!

But still this number is shocking

June 2016 UK votes to leave EU
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Old 04-04-19, 02:34 PM   #9696
Skybird
Soaring

Me too does not make fun of anybody, okay!

But these numbers are shocking, too!

June 2008: Ireland votes No to EU constitution (later relabelled as dictate of Lisbon).

June 2005: the Netherlands votes No to EU constituion (later relabelled as dictate of Lisbon).

May 2005: France votes No to EU constitution (later relabelled as dictate of Lisbon).

Not taking No as a No, has system, and a solid tradition.

Old 04-05-19, 05:37 AM   #9697
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Dear oh dear, a leaky roof has closed the Commons for the day. It must be cricket they play in there because it certainly isn't politics

I should imagine the bars and restaurants inside are doing a roaring trade right now

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-pol...-to-water-leak
It would appear one person was certainly still at work to justify their £300 daily attendance allowance

Quote:
Theresa May has written to the European Union to request a further delay to Brexit until 30 June. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47825841

Old 04-05-19, 05:37 AM   #9698
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Theresa May has written to the European Union to request a further delay to Brexit until 30 June.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47825841

And on it goes...

Quote:
Labour has held on to the Newport West parliamentary seat with a reduced majority following a by-election.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-47786885

Jezzer will be jumping up and down with joy.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 04-05-19, 05:42 AM   #9699
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Labour has held on to the Newport West parliamentary seat with a reduced majority following a by-election.

Labour saw its majority over the Conservatives fall to 1,951 from 5,658 at the 2017 general election. Mr Flynn had held the seat since 1987.

Eleven candidates stood, with the 37% turnout higher than some had predicted.

Eleven candidates stood, with the 37% turnout higher than some had predicted.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-47786885

Old 04-05-19, 05:54 AM   #9700
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Dear oh dear, a leaky roof has closed the Commons for the day.
Mr Spoon bender claims he did it as reported on LBC.

Old 04-05-19, 06:36 AM   #9701
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

A pretty interesting article from the Independent that focuses on Angela Merkels question to the Irish leader on her visit the other day about the Irish border and the possible eventual outcome.

Quote:
In reality, then, the EU must be edging towards the condition that they cannot have a hard border in Ireland, and therefore, though it may irk them, they can never set the British a deadline for Brexit if it means no deal. A settlement has to be found, even if it may take a long time. The Irish border is as tricky a problem for the French and Germans as it is for the Irish and the British – a conundrum with no known answer.

So a hard border, and therefore a no-deal Brexit, is in reality unthinkable. In every centre of power – Westminster, Stormont, Dublin, Paris, Berlin and Brussels – the thought is slowly crystallising that a no-deal Brexit is at best a purely theoretical possibility. The British have virtually outlawed it; and the Europeans cannot override Ireland’s objections or the legal and moral force of the Good Friday Agreement.

Without the possibility of a no-deal Brexit, that only leaves two possibilities, amounting to the same thing: Brexit is over. https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexi...id=mailsignout

Old 04-05-19, 09:44 AM   #9702
Skybird
Soaring

Morals are desirbale or not, but not legally binding, and a legal obligation of the Irish to not brexit into a hard border I do not conclude from good Friday Agreement. Therefore the author, while practically probbaly describing a likely scenartio for the future of Brexit beiong endlessly delayed, doe snot describe a hardw-riutten fact, imo, but describes excuses why a hard Brexit could not be done because it should not be done, from his pov.

Anyhow, a treaty that cannot be cancelled, in my book in this specific detail is always already non-valid from geginning on, becasue wehre it needs consent for sides to come toegther, any side necessarily also must have the right to cancel its consent. The freedom to decide for something, necessarily must include also to decide against it, or to alter one'S views later on due to changinging times and conditions. I agree iuts can be tricky to find a reaoisable bvalöance there when to still stick with a treaty and when to concel it, practical life on many levely and ordinary laws and court cases prove it every day. But the pricniple here is what I am about. There can be no irredeemable law or treaty or agreement. Where this is claimed in it, it is naturally invalid a claim from start on.

This is not to say that it would be desirable to have the good friday agreement gone. The problem I see over Ireland is that both sides so far argue with maximum demand-positions of their opwn,. and that the eU also wants to prevent a successful Brexit by Britain at all costs to turn this whole mess into a precedence intimdating for all time to come other people thinking about leaving the eU.

Germany also has another interest here, which is behind its Euro- and credit-polcies as well: the germans have heasldessly agreed to lend so much money to others, that any collpase of the Euro and any debtor leaving the currency union would ciost Germany hilasriosu, fan tastic ammounts of money that already is goine by now, but still gets "sold" to the poublic as money we will get back later on. Germany cannot afford to help raising threats to a desintegrating Euro union, and for the same reason it can not afford to ever leave the Euro itself: the losses then could no longe rbe hidden from the german voters, ranking in the trillions (plural), if adding up everything. The last thing the Germans want, is the threat of a UK being econimically successfull in thelong run, not beign affected as much ba a Euro collapse in the forseeable future, and beign able to raise a low-tax-competitiopn against the high-tax reghime in the block that is the only thing that keeps German social systems still afloat, more or less.

Really, morals are ther last thing playing a role in international politics. On this the author of that article really is naive. Its about power and money interests.
Old 04-05-19, 11:38 AM   #9703
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Labour has accused the government of failing to offer real change or compromise during talks to end the Brexit stalemate.
https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-cr...abour-11685156

Looks like the cracks have started.

What they need is...

OR

Old 04-05-19, 11:50 AM   #9704
STEED
Lucky Jack

One good reason to leave.

So before the EU censures me go (THE FOLLOWING HAS BEEN CENSURED BY THE EU)

Oh man that was quick of them.

Last edited by STEED; 04-05-19 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-05-19, 12:48 PM   #9705
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Why did the UK sign the petition then?

And is the EU the initiator or aren't some greedy companies from the US behind this? It just makes the most powerful companies more powerful, and tries to undermine the free internet worldwide.
The EU just buckled to lobby pressure, with the UK.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Closed Thread

Tags
british, politics