SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-04-10, 11:59 AM   #76
vonce1
A-ganger

Downloads: 23
Uploads: 0

amazing, wonder if it was uploaded by someone from subsim? love it!
vonce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 12:06 PM   #77
alx100
Watch

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonce1 View Post

amazing, wonder if it was uploaded by someone from subsim? love it!

Haha, very funny!
Downfall is a pretty good film!
alx100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 01:08 PM   #78
paul_kingtiger
Watch

Downloads: 60

I've noticed cracked versions of SH5 are avalable on torrent sites. I've no idea if these versions work or have full fuctionality, but if they are it shows that any DRM can be cracked.

So the question is: Is the amount of revinue 'saved' with this DRM greater than the amount of revinue 'lost' through people refusing to buy the game because of the DRM.

HOI IV | SH3 | Uboot | World of Warships
paul_kingtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 01:31 PM   #79
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_kingtiger View Post
So the question is: Is the amount of revinue 'saved' with this DRM greater than the amount of revinue 'lost' through people refusing to buy the game because of the DRM.
Since it appears that half the people who said they wouldn't buy it already have, probably not.
Old 03-04-10, 01:33 PM   #80
Letum
Navy Seal

Downloads: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Since it appears that half the people who said they wouldn't buy it already have, probably not.
Source?

I see no evidence of this on any kind of scale.

I don't think it's fair to make vague accusations of hypocrisy without some evidence.
Old 03-04-10, 04:35 PM   #81
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letum View Post
Source?

I don't think it's fair to make vague accusations of hypocrisy without some evidence.
I'm not accusing anybody of anything. In fact pretty much everybody who has posted saying they got it anyway has recieved nothing but praise from me.

As for evidence, people are posting all the time saying "this number of people are doing that", and you don't seem to have questioned them.

But since I'm supposedly special, I'll apologise once again for overstating my case.

On the other hand, do you have a guess on the 'revenues' question I was addressing?
Old 03-04-10, 04:41 PM   #82
Farinhir
Loader

Downloads: 154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letum View Post
Source?

Agreed. I still have not bought SH5 or AC2, and I am still active on the UBI forums in protest of this DRM. It is less out of principle, and more due to the fact that my internet fails all the time. Although, I do consider myself a person with whom their word is their bond. If I were to break that bond I would not be an ethical person in my view.
Old 03-04-10, 08:27 PM   #83
talonclawz
Nub

Downloads: 0

I have no intention of purchasing this game as long as Ubisoft has their draconian DRM attached to it. If someone comes out with a crack to bypass their DRM, I might consider purchasing it, but with all the posts from people saying how poor the game is, I might just pass for good. Seems like the Romanians can't do anything right. SH3 was the last good game in the series. SH4 had issues even after the last patch and I just quit playing it. This one seems like a total dud. Downhill ever since SH3 it seems. Plus, I have no intention of supporting the Ubisoft nazis and their DRM. Ever. I held my ground on MW2 and refused to buy it for PC due to the absence of dedicated servers. I also refused to buy AC2 due to the same nazi DRM they are using here, even though I played the original and really enjoyed it. They will NOT get my money.
talonclawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 08:47 PM   #84
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Dunno if someone posted this or not, but it's a hoot.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 08:57 PM   #85
Herodotus
Sailor man

Downloads: 85

I went ahead and got it (kind of an early Birthday pressie for myself...that was my excuse, anyway). At the moment I'm more confused than anything.
Only one or two of the original keyboard commands are the same, so in the heat of battle you hit what would normally be view left, and your rudder turns one point. Hit enter to fire a torpedo and you unlock your view of the target. Why they had to go and mess with a formula that has survived every iteration of the title is beyond me, and has the official forums ablaze.
The graphics are a mixed bag. On the whole I'd have to say - console port (and it's not even available on console
).
As for the DRM...not a problem so far, but loading a mission or saved game can take 1-2 minutes+. One thing that is very jarring - no swastikas (just an Iron Cross). They might be banned in Romania, but they aren't in Australia.
I won't go on, as I would actually very much like to think this is a game with promise.
Fellow submariners...notice I said GAME, as this is not a sub sim at all.
Herodotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 09:45 PM   #86
theluckyone17
Captain

Downloads: 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
For what it's worth, I still haven't bought it. Nor has my wife bought it . I've been pitching a fit about the DRM for long enough that even she knows enough not to buy it for me, too.

If it wasn't for the DRM, I'd be picking it up ASAP.
theluckyone17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 10:00 PM   #87
TarJak
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 150
Uploads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thruster View Post
"If you are online then you shouldnt have problems as long as ubi servers are up, however one cannot play the game legally when they travel/are offline etc this is where this drm really hurts."

Im very glad that those with a stable home base and blessed with good internet are happy. honestly i am. i really want SH5 to be a great success cos i have worried about the genre survival.

however i feel that DJSatane has summed it up for me with his comment above. i travel heaps for work. internet is either non-existent or utterly 3rd world ****e. because i cannot play solo off line this policy effectively excludes me from playing this awesome game.

whilst i accept that i am obviously in the minority it doesnt make it less frustrating. for everyone else; unlike your 'Amex travellers cheques', you may as well leave home without it.
You are not alone. This is the major reason why I don't intend to buy the game until a patch to remove OSP has been released.

The problem when travelling is not restricted to there being none or poor internet availability, the problem is when travelling that any internet access can hideously expensive. I was in a hotel last week where internet access could be purchased in 1 hour increments for $5.00 ea or get a whole day for $15! Extortion at its best and therefore as my company is footing the bill I only use these sorts of connections for work and only when absolutely necessary.

Trying to find free WiFi can be a bugger as well, depending on where in the world you are.

Without the net this game is merely lost data storage space. I'm hanging onto my $100 until it gets removed officially.

Last edited by TarJak; 03-05-10 at 01:29 AM.
TarJak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 10:24 PM   #88
Ships-R-Us
Commander

Downloads: 134

Ubisoft needs cash flow and released SH5.

Aside from the "Realism" geeks, and the "hardcome subsimmers" represented at Subsim.com, which maybe represents 10% of Ubisofts sales.....

90% of Ubisofts sales are a new smash hit amongst all the moms, dads, and kids worldwide, as they all get "immersed" in their own "realistic" world of family activity together.

I'm going to run next door and play with that family rather than listen to the kids whine at Subsim.

Reminds me of the selfish bitc..... that threw back the engagement ring because it wasn't big enough.
Ships-R-Us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 10:36 PM   #89
Iron Budokan
Sea Lord

Downloads: 32

I decided not to buy this game way before I even heard about DRM. I still haven't bought it and I have no plans to buy it for the foreseeable future until many of these problems are corrected. And even then...who knows?

http://kennethmarkhoover.com
Iron Budokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 10:41 PM   #90
BlackSpot
Lieutenant

Downloads: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Budokan View Post
I decided not to buy this game way before I even heard about DRM. I still haven't bought it and I have no plans to buy it for the foreseeable future until many of these problems are corrected. And even then...who knows?
I can't wait to see what you decide to do ...
BlackSpot is offline   Reply With Quote