SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-09-07, 10:29 PM   #1
Grey_Raven75
Mate

Downloads: 30
Uploads: 0
Default A New American Sub Movie

I'd love to see a movie made about American subs in WWII that could be equivilant to Das Boot. The last thing we need is another U-571. Rather, a film that really shows the reality of what it was like to sail around the Pacific in a Tambor or Gato at the height of the war. What kind of story do you all think could facilitate that?

P.S. - Personally, I think the XO and Captain at odds story is kind of old. Not that there couldn't be an element of that, but it's been done a lot.
Grey_Raven75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-07, 07:22 AM   #2
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

I honestly don't think this will happen.

I think one of the reasons non-subsim audiences liked Das boot was because of the underlaying political message about the futility of the war effort.

That would be lacking in an American version.

I don't think Hollywood could make a movie about WWII American subs without craping it up. I don't think the audiences would or could appreciate the real life drama without adding Hollydrama to it (coughCrashDivecough).

Besides American Sub patrols from Pearl encompas a lot of boring travel time.

Also, any accurate depiction of American Subs would be rather critical of the military (poor training of the initial Captains, Politically charged torpedo design, Lack of a true submarine strategy at the start of the war). This is probably not the time to have movies pointing out failures of military stratety.

I am probably being overly pessimistic but I just don't see today's hollywood being capable of making a movie about American Subs that we subnuts here would enjoy.
Platapus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-07, 08:34 AM   #3
UglyMowgli
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 9

A remake of Operation Pacific (1951) with John Wayne
A mivie with civilain extractions, dud torpedoes, fighter pilot rescue and a love romance between a submariners and a pilot all in black& white.
Old 04-10-07, 06:16 PM   #4
Camaero
The Old Man

Downloads: 18

Only an independant could ever give us something close to Das Boot these days.
Old 04-10-07, 09:31 PM   #5
Neptunus Rex
Frogman

Downloads: 0

"Clear the Bridge" by RADM Richard O'Kane would get my vote!

Perhaps we could get Ken Burns to do one of his documentary series on the sub wars of WWII.

"In the spirit of reaching across the aisle, we owe it to the Democrats to show their president the exact same kind of respect and loyalty that they have shown our recent Republican president." A.C. 11-5-08
Neptunus Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-07, 10:40 PM   #6
Camaero
The Old Man

Downloads: 18

Somebody call Wolfgang Peterson and tell him to get back to basics!
Old 04-11-07, 02:22 AM   #7
desertisland
Gunner

Downloads: 34

How about this:

Lusitania

A US submarine is sent to sink the Lusitania in order to create a pretext to go to war with the Kaiser.

[dodge tomatoes]

The XO fights with the captain when in fact they are suppressing their mutual admiration.

[dodge more tomatoes]

In the end they choose not to launch the torpedo but a German sub sinks the Lusitania anyway. XO and captain kiss. Adult content follows.

[Run away]
desertisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-07, 06:58 AM   #8
Mush Martin
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 4

Or a narrative of Uncle Charlies Sink em all
or maybe dealey and the destroyer killer.

does anybody now why there trying to
re certify Silversides I suspect that it
may be for this function. but havent
been able to locate any info as of yet.?

Actually I really like that plot line Desertdood

Tutorial
Mush Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-07, 03:48 PM   #9
Grey_Raven75
Mate

Downloads: 30

How about this for a premise:

April 1942. The Doolittle Raid on mainland Japan is a success. America has gained its first victory against the Japanese, but the effect is merely psychological. US Forces are in desperate need to achieve a decisive strategic victory. Intelligence indicates a small island near the Mariana Island chain is being used to base Imperial Navy warships. The task of attacking this island falls to the US submarines.
The attack will not be easy. Outdated and overly cautious doctrine plagues the submarine force. At the behest of Lieutenant Christopher Beckett, Captain Jonathan Walcott is called back to active service, having been forced into a desk job in the late 30s owing to his bold and (what was perceived as) reckless tactics. The two men plan a mission deep into enemy waters where the objective, nearly impossible to achieve, makes a return voyage unlikely.
Grey_Raven75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-07, 11:27 PM   #10
desertisland
Gunner

A little off-topic, just a point:

I believe the problem with mainstream movies is, they are made to feature a specific cast. Producers are not looking for actors to play in a specific script. Rather, they build entire script around a particular star, because that's what sells movies. People didn't went to see MI2, they went to see Tom Cruise.

Good movies don't sell. Movies with good selling points sell. The box office wars is lost or won on 2 factors:

1. What can you present on the movie poster. Cast, scene shots, big names, awards. These decide for the moviegoers if they will reach for their wallet.

2. What can you present in the trailer. A good movie may not sell well. A movie that sells must have scenes which will look good in the trailer.

The second factor has become so important that I believe producers "backward produce" movies from trailer ideas: They first decide how the trailer will look like -- explosions, sex, violence -- and what interesting plots to have -- funny, witty, scary, cool punch lines -- and produce a movie from the trailer; rather than summarizing a movie into trailers.

This is evident in movies with plots that don't work or punchlines that may be cool but sounds awkward in the context they are delivered. They are not an organic part of the movie, they are there so that the trailer will look good.

Last edited by desertisland; 04-12-07 at 12:36 AM.
Old 04-12-07, 04:19 AM   #11
UglyMowgli
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 9

gets FRAPS, SH4 and make a small movie, send it ot hollywood and sell the concept, scenario and gain $$$.
Old 04-12-07, 11:07 AM   #12
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I HATE thread titles like "A New American Sub Movie"!

I thought there WAS one, and you had a link!
Old 04-13-07, 12:40 AM   #13
desertisland
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSgalileo
gets FRAPS, SH4 and make a small movie, send it ot hollywood and sell the concept, scenario and gain $$$.
And Ubisoft will get a huge chunk off that $$$...

"...we never authorize the use of our software for use other that personal entertainment... this is a case of outright intellectual property right infringement... blah blah blah..."
Old 05-22-07, 07:51 PM   #14
bigbluevan793
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0

I am new to this forum, but a big sub supporter. Run Silent Run Deep and Dust on the Sea should be a PBS type of production/miniseries. This time, RSRD should be depicted as it was written, not that tripe starring Gable, and Lancaster. Respects to Edward L. Beach jr.
bigbluevan793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-07, 09:43 PM   #15
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_Raven75
I'd love to see a movie made about American subs in WWII that could be equivilant to Das Boot. The last thing we need is another U-571. Rather, a film that really shows the reality of what it was like to sail around the Pacific in a Tambor or Gato at the height of the war. What kind of story do you all think could facilitate that?

P.S. - Personally, I think the XO and Captain at odds story is kind of old. Not that there couldn't be an element of that, but it's been done a lot.
How about the USS Growler story with Cmdr Gilmore.