Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-14-18, 01:36 PM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Google tracks users who turn off location history

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-45183041

No surprise to me. I say since years that privacy options and software guards cannot be trusted. They< are just code, and what the code actually does and what not, you do not k ow, and is beyond your control.

What is needed instead is that customers get full control over what software is installed on their smartphone, and that no automatic packaging of Android OS with Google software suites and bloatware is taking place anymore. Consumer rights organisation then can test every new device for whether or not it still phones home to mama or not.

A new cellphone you buy should have nothing more than just the pure Os of your choice, and nothing more. Evertyhign else should be installed manually at choice of the user. I had two older Smasdung tablets, both were heavily infested with bloatware you canot get rid of without rooting the device. My now Huawei P9 lite however, had some bloatware, but much less than the Samsungs, and the little that was there for the most was removable easily. So a lot here is company policy. Samsung I have logged as one of the worst offenders. Will never buy Samsung tablets or smartphones again, their policy is a customer-hostile offence.

This is one of the few occasions where the EU commission actually goes after something positive: it has started actions against Google to force it to stop packing OS together with bloatware suites that favour Google services.

In case you need a map or navigation app, I recommend OSMAND. Its free for a limited amount of map areas stored for offline use, it is, as just said, offline-capable, and it has better maps then Google esoecially in urban areas. Via this site

LINK

you can easily and comfortably create tour tracks and move them for use onto you cellphone, for use in Osmand.

No online need. No tracking. Just passive GPS. Monthly updates of maps. Better quality maps.
Old 08-15-18, 08:17 AM   #2
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Appreciate the link

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-18, 08:53 AM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

Its really worth to familiarize oneself with the interface both in PC and Android, its a very capable software and very good map material.

And no account needed.

However, the ergonomy in the Android app Osmand is not optimal, it needs some time to get into it. Tutorials may help. I strongly reocmmend to realyl do tour planning on PC and then move the tour data file onto the smartphone. This way its hard to beat.

Just keep in mind that the maps for wilderness areas with few inhabitants may lack, compared to other map spources, since all maps are done by volunteers, and of these you have more in urban areas and densely populated regions. It may be reocmmendable in these cases to use maps from other sources, which can be switched to inside both apps.
Old 08-15-18, 08:54 AM   #4
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Yep, it is the fact no account is required that appeals to me

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-18, 09:01 AM   #5
Skybird
Soaring

Four map packs can be had for free. In Germany, every federal state is one pack. For other reigons, a whole nation may be one pack. England (without Scotland and Ireland) has ten packs.