SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-28-18, 06:36 AM   #76
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 0

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-18, 06:47 AM   #77
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-18, 09:43 AM   #78
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Not with Football.

Yes, I know. My comment was in response to the earlier post that there's little reason to take notice of the group stage since you already know the teams that will advance before a ball is kicked.

I'll be shocked if that wasn't Low's final game in charge. It's a bit of a chicken and egg thing, but it appears he was found out in Russia. His lineups, substitutions and tactics were questionable at best, and the decision to leave Sane at home is looking like a bad one at the moment. I don't think anyone would argue that Germany would have progressed simply because Sane was available for selection. But he offers something that no other German player does. A directness that they might have benefited from when Plan A was clearly not working. Draxler in his place didn't play badly I don't think, but Sane could have possibly turned a game with his speed and directness. Off the bench against tiring defenders he could have made an impact.

Aside from the fact that their coach had no ideas to fix the problem, I'll say that their failure is down to a sense of overconfidence. In the run up to the tournament Germany had poor performances against Brazil, Spain, Austria and Saudi Arabia. They felt that despite these warning signs, that they would show up in Russia, flip the switch, and play like World Cup champions. Some players and the coach even said as much publicly. But when that didn't happen they had no answers. No plan B that would show a different look, or cause tactical problems for their opponents.

The methodical build up and patient possession that are hallmarks of the German style are quickly becoming old news. The game is changing, and Germany might do well to update their approach. That will start (presumably) with a new coach. If I were that coach (ya never know!) I'd tell Ozil and Khedira thanks for the memories. In the end, Germany will be fine, they produce some fantastic footballers and will continue to do so. But they need to be shaken out of their current malaise. They need young blood to push the stalwarts, more meritocratic selection, and more of an up-tempo gameplan, even if it's just a plan B. This result is an embarrassment, especially as you could see it coming. Except if you wear your hair like Moe and maybe then it's harder to see
Old 06-28-18, 11:23 AM   #79
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Yesterday I was in sad mood.

My favorite team was kicked out with a bang ending last in their group.

It is Germany.

Well now I have to cross my fingers for Sweden and Denmark.

I say Sweden have a higher chance to win their match against Switzerland
Than Denmark have against Croatia.

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-18, 03:30 PM   #80
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Germany added a new skill to its football: complecancy. But that does not win you matches. It only helps to stage a nice commercial advertising show.

Mercedes. Razorblades. Nivea skin cosmetics. Always combined with a fake image of modern civilized "malehood" that avoids being male and reminds me personally more of a dressed-in-style poodle. Makes me vomit.

There is too much Merkelianism in Löw these days.

The good thing is that the public focus does not get anymore distracted from the political fights currently taking place.

Strangely, the huge outcry in Germany is missing. I said earlier that the mood is strangely calm, desinterested over here. I think this team has started to alienate the German people already earlier. Both sides just do not connect anymore. I also think politics and "sociologics" play into it.

The era Löw has come to an end. It must be so, there is no other believable way. He had his merits and successes, nobody denies that, but his magic has been decoded and the hunger is gone. All world now knows how to beat Löwian team Germany. Already the preratikon pohase went baldy, and what irritates most is that between the lousy matches, no changes too plac ve. No improvements from one match to the next. Just one of 6 or 7 matches was won - and ti was a bad game, too. So at the cup, another 2 defeats and just 1 - very lucky: a penalty against Germany was not given - win was added to that.

Complecancy has taken over. Löw cannot stay. A completely new start is needed, and a completely new team.

An old girl-friend of mine brought it to the point, maybe: she said "Why is in the German men'S football team not one real male? Just carricatures and "Abziehbilder" " (what is Abziehbilder in English?).
Old 06-28-18, 03:36 PM   #81
Skybird
Soaring

One thing just rubs me. There is the German nemesis - Italy - not in the tournament, and what do the Germans make of this chance...? Dud in the starting block.
Old 06-28-18, 04:40 PM   #82
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Icon8

I did not watch England's first two games as it was clear they were going to win. Tonight's game was bloody awful. they made zero effort to win the game and everyone I spoke to days before and today before the match said they will take the soft option to go though...AND THEY DID!

BOO...POOR SHOW.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-18, 03:02 AM   #83
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

cool

@Threadfin: Very good depiction!

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-18, 03:20 AM   #84
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Short notice I know, but this might interest you. A friend of mine has two tickets for the Belgium v England game on Thursday 28th June in Russia. He paid £750 for them including airport transfers, and flights tonight , hotel and corporate hospitality. When he booked them he didn't realise he was due to get married that day, and now needs someone to take his place.

It's at Haywards Heath registry office at 4.00. Her name's Emily, she's 5 foot 6 tall , a size 10, brown eyes, has her own income, quite nice looking and good at cooking.

Message me for more details.

I'm game, if she's willing to relocate.

For all the hubbub going on about Japan tanking the last ten minutes of the game, I don't get it. Playing to not lose isn't always the best strategy, but when you know you'll win if you don't lose (or lose by more in this case), I don't fault them at all. There is no prize for advancing with a better score, it's just as long as you advance.

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-18, 06:43 AM   #85
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
I did not watch England's first two games as it was clear they were going to win. Tonight's game was bloody awful. they made zero effort to win the game and everyone I spoke to days before and today before the match said they will take the soft option to go though...AND THEY DID!

BOO...POOR SHOW.
Rgr that

Old 06-30-18, 05:01 AM   #86
Skybird
Soaring

By the names, it sounds like a great match today:

France - Messi.

In the other match today, its

Uruguay - Ronaldo.

Old 06-30-18, 06:49 AM   #87
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

I would be struggling to pick a winner from either of these matches

Old 06-30-18, 07:30 PM   #88
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 109

Quote:
I would be struggling to pick a winner from either of these matches

Easy, Uruguay!

Since we our out, I can post here!

From the first page:
Quote:
IMHO Portugal rely far too heavily on Ronaldo so future opponents may either man mark him or take him out through injury.
Yes, indeed, but then again, France did that and we win the eurocup, but that was another story.

Jim has possibly 100% certain, we are Ronaldo dependent, and our team is a old one. Full of older players and also players that didn't play much in their respective championships.

Our coach is a conservative one and only wants the player A or B for that position, do not experiment with a younger player, this can be a double edge sword.
And then we have the football style, that worked in one cup, but working in all the cups, we need a good team,players, miracle to do so.

Our first match, could had put some dust in the eyes of the team. When I saw Mexico-Germany, I thought, if it would be with us, we had taken 3 or 6-0. A fast team, against our old, slow team, taking time to get out, pass and attack, no way we would win.

The game with Morocco was a warning and a rehearsal of what I said, but we won. We had and should had won against Iran, but no, complacency, failed penalty (yes, I know, but even if one player as Ronaldo scores in X, y and fail 1, it could not did that one).

It was a game to win and to even if the referee did wrong with that supposed penalty, we should had been wining by 3 or 4. I always thought that we didn't had team for Uruguay. Russia, it would had been so much accessible, and with in mind, we should have done for it.

And in today, we should had done even more to win.

My father has always the "it is a game, so good luck/bad luck interfere", but for me, that is one excuse. It is true, to some extent, but I always thought our team, can do better.

The game style worked one time, it can not work another, but several factors worked to see if so, and we lost.

As a small people we can say, at least we did pass the group part, Germany (world champion) didn't, but this again is the small mind talking, again and forever.
Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-18, 04:43 AM   #89
Skybird
Soaring

Portugal - a small people? Uruguays population equals that of Berlin, three times smaller than Portugal's. But the Urus are totally fanatic about football. Its a part of state reason.

Portugal constantly raised the pressure in second half. Its not as if they were "bad". Its just that the light-blue stonewall was better.

And in the end the little luck that also is needed, was missing.

Messi's gang out - in the same stadium where the Germans were kicked out. The two finalists of four years ago. And after the one one-man team left, the other one-man team - Ronaldo's - left, too. Who said football has no symbolism?
Old 07-01-18, 07:28 AM   #90
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

I'm thinking Spain and Croatia will triumph today.