SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-21-11, 07:03 AM   #2971
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Downloads: 139
Uploads: 0

Dolphin? They're probably in Miami.

---------------------

Hylander_1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-11, 07:13 AM   #2972
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylander_1314 View Post
Dolphin? They're probably in Miami.
But in SH4 TMO, if you havenīt the terrain dat of FOTRS, you havenīt the Panama Canal and for a visit of Miami you must arrive via the Drake and the South Atlantic...

I have the terrain dat installed in my SH4/TMO/RSRDC and works fine; I have Panama Canal and Suez.

The dolphins donīt help to the wartime effort. I want cowboys sharks, allied hungry sharks anxious of lifeboats lost in the sea.... I provide the "load" of the lifeboats with my torpedoes; the sharks make the rest.... Itīs needed an AI shark for that.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-11, 01:56 PM   #2973
HMCS
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 186

I just got promoted to a new command, a Gato. I see that there are empty crew slots in the forward torpedo room. Why is that?

Also, do I need to move my deck watch crew into other compartments if I am about to get depth charged?

Mods Loaded:TMO 2.2, RSRDC, MaxOptics, Strategic Map Symbols, Stop The Shouting
OR:
RFB, RSRDC, Maxoptics, SCAF, Strategic Map Symbols and the sanity-saving "stop the shouting".
HMCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-11, 03:11 AM   #2974
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMCS View Post
I just got promoted to a new command, a Gato. I see that there are empty crew slots in the forward torpedo room. Why is that?
I'm guessing your last boat (whatever it was) didn't need as many crew as a gato does, and your current crew transferred over. Since your current crew was (im guessing) smaller then a gato's crew size.. you had empty slots to fill.

Quote:
Also, do I need to move my deck watch crew into other compartments if I am about to get depth charged?
NOOOOO. I specifically avoided tweaking this part of the sub damage system to avoid having to move the watch crew. I figure deck and AA guns are enough to shuffle around, let alone the watch crew. I've never been big on micromanaging.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-11, 03:25 AM   #2975
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
But in SH4 TMO, if you havenīt the terrain dat of FOTRS, you havenīt the Panama Canal and for a visit of Miami you must arrive via the Drake and the South Atlantic...

I have the terrain dat installed in my SH4/TMO/RSRDC and works fine; I have Panama Canal and Suez.

The dolphins donīt help to the wartime effort. I want cowboys sharks, allied hungry sharks anxious of lifeboats lost in the sea.... I provide the "load" of the lifeboats with my torpedoes; the sharks make the rest.... Itīs needed an AI shark for that.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo
I used to have a great book called Devil Boats, http://www.amazon.com/Devil-Boats-PT.../dp/0891415866

and in there the PT Boaters in the Solomons feared the giant tiger sharks more than the Japanese. Since they grow to an average size of 20+ feet, or 7 meters on average.

---------------------

Old 02-22-11, 01:12 PM   #2976
HMCS
Sonar Guy

Tigers aren't that big!! You don't see many Tiger sharks over 15' often and the average is 10 to 14'. Anything more than 15' would be very, very rare.

OR:
RFB, RSRDC, Maxoptics, SCAF, Strategic Map Symbols and the sanity-saving "stop the shouting".
Old 02-22-11, 05:19 PM   #2977
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Just relaying what the PT Boaters said in the Solomons. Yes the average size is roughly 16fy, which is nothing to sneeze at, but a tiger caught in 1957 was said to be 24 ft. long, or there abouts. Yes they are rare, that big, but also, 70+ years ago, tigersharks weren't overfished either, so larger specimens were probably more abundant then too.

Reguardless though, the slightest bleeding wound, would bring the usual marine preditors around for a sample.

---------------------

Old 02-22-11, 05:30 PM   #2978
HMCS
Sonar Guy

You almost never see White Pointers over 20'; and they are the big ones. I am thinking that the lads were exaggerating - that the old fishing adage "it was THIS big" comes into play. Tigers aren't necessarily over fished, they're not on the endangered list, per se.

Then again, this is somewhat off topic.

OR:
Old 02-22-11, 06:08 PM   #2979
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Default From Wikipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMCS View Post
You almost never see White Pointers over 20'; and they are the big ones. I am thinking that the lads were exaggerating - that the old fishing adage "it was THIS big" comes into play. Tigers aren't necessarily over fished, they're not on the endangered list, per se.

Then again, this is somewhat off topic.
According to J. E. Randall, the largest white shark reliably measured was a 6.0 m (19.7 ft) individual reported from Ledge Point, Western Australia in 1987.[14] Another great white specimen of similar size has been verified by the Canadian Shark Research Center: a female caught by David McKendrick of Alberton, Prince Edward Island in August 1988 in the Gulf of St. Lawrence off PEI. This female great white was 6.1 m (20 ft) long.[3] However, a larger great white shark specimen was verified by T. C. Tricas and J. E. McCosker in 1984. This specimen was 6.4 m (21 ft) long and had a body mass of about 3,324 kg (7,330 lb).[15]
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-11, 11:06 AM   #2980
Sub Sailor
Commander

Downloads: 66
Default I need Help really bad.

I will admit I don't have the computer smarts all of you seem to have, in fact I am not good at all. But I really love to play sub sims, especially Sh4 and SC. My overall problem I don't fully grasp how to use JSGME. I have TMO, I show TMO 20 and TMO 20 to 21 but I don't have either completely and I can't figure out what I have done wrong.
I know all of you have tried to help me, and believe me I appreciate it, further more I feel like a complete ass to keep asking for help. Honestly I have felt like giving up and playing what I have, but that is not who I am.
I just reread this and said I dont fully grasp, hell I don't have a clue. So if anyone wants to attempt helping an old retired nuke who is not the smartest compter person, guys when I started in Nuke School we used slide rules. I had been teaching about 10 years before I learnd well sorta learned to use one of these infernal machines.
So if anyone would care to try to help me I would be forever im your debt.
I guess I am asking for a "how to use JSGME for dummies."

Thank you,

Ron Banks MMCM(SS), USN(Ret)
Sub Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-11, 11:16 AM   #2981
Capt. Morgan
Commander

Downloads: 404
Default About alternate surface search behaviour...

The TMO manual states that surface search radar detection ranges now depend on aspect, size and distance to target ( ).

Am I right in assuming that this feature is the default in TMO-2, or do I have to install TMO_Alternate_JS_Radar_Performance from the optional mods folder to get this behaviour (My reading of the manual kinda' suggests both)?

BTW, we have some mean Hammer-heads up here in Vancouver.

Capt. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-11, 12:11 PM   #2982
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default someone post a link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub Sailor View Post
I will admit I don't have the computer smarts all of you seem to have, in fact I am not good at all. But I really love to play sub sims, especially Sh4 and SC. My overall problem I don't fully grasp how to use JSGME. I have TMO, I show TMO 20 and TMO 20 to 21 but I don't have either completely and I can't figure out what I have done wrong.
I know all of you have tried to help me, and believe me I appreciate it, further more I feel like a complete ass to keep asking for help. Honestly I have felt like giving up and playing what I have, but that is not who I am.
I guess I am asking for a "how to use JSGME for dummies."

Thank you,

Ron Banks MMCM(SS), USN(Ret)
There is link to a post that show you how to use JGSME, explained via screen shots, and it is pretty simple. Someone should post it here. Either that or search for it using the search button.

Initially, download 7-zip and run the program. You can download it to the C:/programs folder. This is a program that will help you extract your download files. You can find a link to it in Neal Stevens' popular mod sticky in the mods forum. Download and run it. Then forget about it unless you computer gives a choice of programs later, and if it does, select it.

In short, first download JGSME and put it in the SH4 folder (the main folder). C:/Ubisoft/SH4/JGSME.) Run the program, and create a shortcut which you then drag to the desktop. Leave the shortcut on the desktop (forever.) Open the JGSME shortcut folder on your desktop, and keep it open while you activate a mod. The opened JGSME shortcut folder will display a right and a left column. The left column is the location for mods that have not been activated. Since you have not moved any mods to JGSME yet, both columns will be empty.

Next, download a mod of your choice to the Mods folder (which is created when you run the JGSME program I believe) and extract the downloaded mod file there. Until it is extracted it should be bundled in a 7-zip file. Right click the 7 zip icon and extract the mod to the MODS folder. Upon extracting the downloaded mod, you will see a folder with name of the mod (ie. Ubisoft/SH4/Mods/TMO2.0.) Next, drag the mod folder (e.g. TMO2.0) across the JGSME program that you have opened on the desktop per the instruction in the preceding paragraph. The mod folder's name should appear in the left column of JGSME, which means that JGSME has accpeted the folder, but not activated it. Now (and you are about done), click on the arrow in JGSME program to transfer the TMO2.0 mod from the left side (not activated) to the right side of JGSME (activated.) Viola! The mod is activated. Run the game. TMO2.0 should show up on the loading screen. (Mods which are not supermods usually do not show up on the loading screen, but you can tell that they have been activated since they are in the right column of JGSME.)

You can do this. Thousand have done it before you. It will seem like a piece of cake once you get the hang of it.

Last edited by I'm goin' down; 02-23-11 at 04:15 PM.
Old 02-23-11, 12:20 PM   #2983
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default Here is a link re JGSME

Go to Neal Stevens' Popular Mod sticky in this forum. Under Commonly Asked Questions there is a link to Step by Step Mod Installation. There is a better, more recent explanation somewhere, but it is a start. If you follow my instructions above, it should work.
Old 02-24-11, 07:43 PM   #2984
Capt. Morgan
Commander

Downloads: 404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Morgan View Post
The TMO manual states that surface search radar detection ranges now depend on aspect, size and distance to target ( ).

Am I right in assuming that this feature is the default in TMO-2, or do I have to install TMO_Alternate_JS_Radar_Performance from the optional mods folder to get this behaviour (My reading of the manual kinda' suggests both)?
So does no one's sure about this one?

Capt. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-11, 08:20 PM   #2985
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

It's optional. NOT a default installation. After testing i thought the changes and the results might be a little too radical for the masses at large. I thought about tossing it entirely, instead i made it an optional mod.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote