SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-07, 09:55 AM   #121
Uber Gruber
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

He be good he be.

Old 07-10-07, 02:46 PM   #122
WilhelmTell
Engineer

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Outstanding !
I must say it's hard to decide which mod to use: Yours or the DieSlowly Stage 16 !
They are both great but you can't have both of them.
Take's a while to find out which suits better ....

Regards,
Tell
Old 07-11-07, 06:21 PM   #123
Horst Mikaelis
Seaman

Downloads: 0
Default Had problem

I sank my first ship after installing your mod and it went down slowly, but in a reasonable amount of time after several hits. My second target, a large, split composite which took one hit under the keel and other amidships, refused to sink. Within five minutes the entire stern was awash. I surfaced (it's December 1941 and the ship had no gun), killed the engine, and hit time compression. Two-and-a-half days passed and the ship was still afloat, with half its deck awash.

And that was the point that Japanese aircraft appeared and drove me down.

Horst
Old 07-11-07, 06:33 PM   #124
kv29
Watch Officer

Downloads: 2

now we know what hit points do!
Old 07-11-07, 07:41 PM   #125
WernerSobe
Commodore

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horst Mikaelis
I sank my first ship after installing your mod and it went down slowly, but in a reasonable amount of time after several hits. My second target, a large, split composite which took one hit under the keel and other amidships, refused to sink. Within five minutes the entire stern was awash. I surfaced (it's December 1941 and the ship had no gun), killed the engine, and hit time compression. Two-and-a-half days passed and the ship was still afloat, with half its deck awash.

And that was the point that Japanese aircraft appeared and drove me down.

Horst
what did you expect? Sinking a large ship with only two torpedoes both hiting its center compartments? Always keep in mind that hitting compartments that are already damaged will maybe speed up the flooding but not add more water in general. So basicly you must hit it on different spots to flood more different compartments. Evaluate which compartments are damaged and estimate their size. Most ships have large compartments under first and last mast (cargo rooms). While the keel, engine room and the fuel bunker are pretty small. When you are unlucky and they dont explode or break the ship they will take less water then cargo compartments.

So basicly if you are not sure how the ship is designed, dont save torpedoes. Give it enough. Take 3 or even better 4 torpedoes for a large ship and MAKE SURE they hit different spots. Set up different torpedoe spread angles.

Dont stay for two days waiting for a ship to sink. If it doesnt sink in one or two hours chances are bad that it will sink at all. You must add more damage to finish it off. Go for compartments that are keeping it afloat. In your case it was the stern. There is a large cargo compartment that was propably dry and saved it from sinking. You could also add 5-10 shells below the waterline with the deckgun on that undamaged compartment that should have done it...

Last edited by WernerSobe; 07-11-07 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-11-07, 08:10 PM   #126
Horst Mikaelis
Seaman

Default Damage

I only stuck around as an experiment to see what would happen. And I understand what you're saying. I guess my question is: was the water covering the stern deck a "real" indication of what was happening to the ship, or was it just a graphics-thing? Could a ship with half its deck underwater continue to float for two days?

Thanks.

Horst
Old 07-11-07, 10:06 PM   #127
WernerSobe
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horst Mikaelis
I only stuck around as an experiment to see what would happen. And I understand what you're saying. I guess my question is: was the water covering the stern deck a "real" indication of what was happening to the ship, or was it just a graphics-thing? Could a ship with half its deck underwater continue to float for two days?

Thanks.

Horst
thats what the mod is about. You can sense the state of the ship by its general condition. Remeber there is no more hitpoint damage. When the ship is half under water it will propably sink but must not, if it doesnt it surely doesnt need much. There is just a little missing from making her sink.

And yes ships can keep going when being half in water. Even ships that have a bad list to one side and are basicly lying on it can in some cases stay afloat.

A sure indicater that a ship has taken enough is when its being abondened by the crew. They know the best when there is no hope. But if theyre still aboard then they is a chance to save the ship and they will fight agains flooding. Its up to you to decide then...

I recomend you to run the test mission that comes with that mod. There you can try differend kind of ships and get an idea about their sinking behavier and indicators.

Last edited by WernerSobe; 07-11-07 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-12-07, 08:05 AM   #128
Horst Mikaelis
Seaman

Will do.

Thanks.

Horst
Old 07-12-07, 09:53 PM   #129
supposedtobeworking
XO

Downloads: 59

1.3 compatible...any word?
Old 07-13-07, 12:18 AM   #130
WernerSobe
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by supposedtobeworking
1.3 compatible...any word?
yes. see the first page its in huge red letters "for patch 1.3"
Old 07-13-07, 12:23 AM   #131
CaptainCox
Sea Lord

Downloads: 4

Thanks for the update! Grabbing it as we speak.
Old 07-13-07, 05:37 AM   #132
Bando
Commodore

Downloads: 23

Thanks WernerSobe

Bando
Old 07-13-07, 12:03 PM   #133
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2

In the work on sinking did you learn a lot about what makes the ships break? I ask because a quick check on the taihosan maru might show a way to work around the CTD. Perhaps we can make the forward split simply impossible to break, then see if it CTDs, even with ammo there.

tater
Old 07-13-07, 12:32 PM   #134
WernerSobe
Commodore

CTD? i didnt know there was one
Old 07-13-07, 12:37 PM   #135
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2

There is a CTD with the small composite merchant---in the stock game, but it also happens with your mod (I tested). It's a flaw in the model or dmage model i think.

Put AMMO as cargo on a small merchant, and it will CTD when it vblows up if it tries to break forward of the superstructure.

So if we could make it NEVER break there, it might prevent the CTD.
Closed Thread