SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-26-09, 01:06 PM   #151
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

That 40 knot speed, while mondo fun, is nowhere near realistic. In war, your average PT boat was hard-pressed to get 25 knots. Any destroyer on the surface of the ocean could run them down and kill them. Every capital ship was faster than our terribly wimpy and ineffective PT boats.

Yeah, I know about They Were Expendable, a wartime fluff-piece written to romanticize these plywood death traps. Read the scathing put-down of that work in The Mosquito Fleet.

A realistic PT boat would be little better than a good place to die. Good thing Digital Trucker decided to go with the mythological PT boat instead.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-10, 02:20 AM   #152
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18

Could we use it in our mod as an AI unit ?

regards

keltos

keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-14, 10:19 AM   #153
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90
Uploads: 0

I can't believe I haven't seen this thread necro bump for later reference.
Old 05-24-14, 04:36 PM   #154
yubba
Admiral

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 2

I got it to run pretty good, got it to fire torps I gave Nikimcbee, and Privateer the files on it a year or 2 ago, I still have it to be uploaded if anybody is interested, but you will have to tell me how to send it , from how to compress it to sending it that is my weak side. I couldn't tell you what I did it was so long ago. Some one needs to figure how to get it to run in a campaign.
yubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-14, 04:46 PM   #155
yubba
Admiral

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 2

I got it to run pretty good, got it to fire torps I gave Nikimcbee, and Privateer the files on it a year or 2 ago, I still have it to be uploaded if anybody is interested, but you will have to tell me how to send it , from how to compress it to sending it that is my weak side. I couldn't tell you what I did it was so long ago. Some one needs to figure how to get it to run in a campaign.
yubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-14, 11:39 PM   #156
Bladekill1298
Swabbie

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0

can you make a USS Fletcher mod or Type 34 Destroyer from Silent Hunter 3 mod for SH4
Bladekill1298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-15, 12:48 PM   #157
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by yubba View Post
Yes, what this PT-109 needs in addition to some important fine tuning to related files, plus more cosmetic and time consuming work on the model, is 'historically accurate campaign layers' and new defined missions for a realistic PT boat campaign. Of course first this requires a lot of research, then it is easier to create realistic traffic layers. Both the Subsim PT Higgins and this Elco topic (that both use the PT 109 mod ???) have that in common; no realistic campaign layers or defined missions to perform in a campaign.

Once historic campaign traffic layers are created, the Skipper could then, 're-create some of the famous PT-boat engagements from WW2' or similar type patrols that is one of the objectives of the Subsim Higgins project.

Unfortunately both of these projects have come to a halt - other than a few 'off topic' remarks here and there in other forums...... oop's, sorry Riken19 - I'm quoting a couple here for later reference because it's useful knowledge Yubba and it looks like some want to see it moved:
Quote:
QUOTE=aanker;2322961]Well that would be nice, to have a PT boat that can fire a torpedo, and have the guns working. How did you do it?)[ QUOTE]
it was quite a while back,, use the pt 109 found here ,, it was lacking torpedos in the equipment files just add them like I said it was a while back and I mostly forgot what I did but I have it up and running sadly I couldn't get it to run in a campaign the torps will fire as same as a sub I had no problems running at full speed and fireing and hitting the target,, your best way to edit this mod is to compare the files of the pt 109 to the files of the sub it is based on and fill in where the torpedos are missing you only get 4 and you will have to go to battlestations and time compress and they will load into the tubes

Quote:
Ok for you hot rods out there,, the pt 109 that is here lacks a torpedo room ,, to add,, open the pt mod go to data/submarine/nss-pt-109/nss-pt-109 UPC file,,,scroll down through compartments you'll find that there isn't a forward torpedo room, I went to the porpoise UPC file and scrolled down till I found that torpedo room I copied it and pasted into the pt109 UPC file reads User player unit 1 compartment 6 id forward porpoise bow torpedo room ,, and renumber other compartments accordingly,, you'll start mission with tubes empty go to battlestations and hit auto load an then time compress tubes will load,,that's the best of my recollection as I went back to my pt yubba and compared the files of both ,,it's a start for you and if you all don't mind how about fixing this so it is in a campaign ,, have fun,, Even I knew Riken 19 didn't mean any harm he fixed those mods so all of us could enjoy them,, I thought sub simmers were better than this after all the petty crap I've seen over in the IL-2 community
Quote:
for some odd satanist reason the author of the pt 109 mod chose to have two deck gun mounts,,using the single 40mm which would have been fine if the bow mount would have been closer to the cabin instead of way forward on the bow,, which doesn't look realistic in my opinion plus it makes me sea sick,, the only way to rid of this is to go to data libairy sub parts and delete the single 40mm giving you no deck gun at all but cleans the boat up nicely,, some how I managed to get the daul 40mm on the stern how I did that is a mystery.
Quote:
Thanks again, this may be of interest:

This is from: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._July_1945.jpg
On this page:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F..._July_1945.jpg

From pp 38 of this doc:
"Know Your PT Boat," July 1945"
http://www.maritime.org/doc/pt/know/index.htm
NARWHAL & NAUTILUS (maybe ARGONAUT too) campaigns are keeping me occupied now because it looks like I'm doing the exact same type of thing with them.
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote