SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-27-15, 07:58 PM   #1
GT182
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 658
Uploads: 0
Default Fresh Install of SH3 is a No Go with 8.1

I tried all afternoon to do a fresh install of SH3 on 8.1. It just won't install and work. I followed Blitz's instructions but nada on the install. Is this a problem caused by 8.1?

I made a Games folder in Program Files (x86). Installed SH3 from the DVD. I canceled Game Shadow and did not click Finish for the SH3 installation. Ran the 1.4b US patch and got this error - C:\Games\MissionEngine.dll: unknown version.

Also. When installation was done there was no UBI-Silent-Hunter 3 folder in the Games folder. Just all the data from the DVD installation in the Games folder. I've never seen this happen before with an original 2005 SH3 DVD. Ran as Admin, and compatibility with XP SP 2, and again with Windows 7. Neither worked.

I'd try with Windows 10 but I'm not ready to Upgrade until I do a clone of my HDD for a back up.

Here's the error I got:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fsscr451.jpg (45.1 KB, 23 views)

No Borders, No Language, No Culture =s No Country

I'm a Deplorable, and proud of it.

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 10-29-15 at 12:13 AM.
GT182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-15, 08:03 PM   #2
GT182
Ocean Warrior

One other error I got yesterday when I tried to install the 1.4b US patch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fsscr439.jpg (18.7 KB, 24 views)

Old 10-27-15, 08:15 PM   #3
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

How old is your game disc? If it's the original then it still has StarForce, and Windows 8.1 won't even talk to it. I have a newer, SF-free version which came fully updated to 1.4b, and had no problems.

Something else you might try is to create a folder outside of any Program Files. Newer versions of Windows don't like us using the Program Files folders.
Old 10-27-15, 10:49 PM   #4
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

Gary, do not install it inside of the Program Files (x86) folder. Make a games folder on the main C drive. Windows UAC program has fits if we try using the Programs folders.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-15, 04:43 AM   #5
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Never install any Silent Hunter version in the default program (x86) folder.

Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-15, 05:55 AM   #6
danasan
Elite Spam Hunter

Downloads: 39

Gary,

here is a workaround for those who don't want any 3rd party tools or don't want to read the whole day...

First of all, I'd like you to understand that there is NO need to install SH3, once you have it installed on just ONE computer.

That said, I haven't used the original game DVD for years now. I just copied the whole folder of a SH3 vanilla installation on an old computer, zipped it, and burnt it on a DVD. I can always start from that DVD by copying the content to my HDD.

So, if you have access to a computer with an older OS, install SH3 there.

-Verify if the game runs fine. After that:
-Copy the whole SH3 folder to an external HDD \ Stick \ whatever.
-Past the folder to your HDD with WIN 8.1, f.x. to the root of C:\
-You'd better name that folder f.x.: SilentHunter3 without any blanks.
-Find the SH3.exe in that folder there and set admin rights and compatibility to XP or WIN 7.

You should be done now. This method is safe, fast (depending on the medium you have your copy on) and independent.

Edit for clarification: If you zipped the folder, you have to unzip it, of course.

"I invite you to go inside this submergible hole in the water where you can nicely hide from destroyers."

Last edited by danasan; 10-28-15 at 06:23 AM.
danasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-15, 07:15 AM   #7
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post
Never install any Silent Hunter version in the default program (x86) folder.

Peter
Quote:
Originally Posted by HW3 View Post
Gary, do not install it inside of the Program Files (x86) folder. Make a games folder on the main C drive. Windows UAC program has fits if we try using the Programs folders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Something else you might try is to create a folder outside of any Program Files. Newer versions of Windows don't like us using the Program Files folders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danasan View Post
Gary,
here is a workaround for those who don't want any 3rd party tools or don't want to read the whole day...
First of all, I'd like you to understand that there is NO need to install SH3, once you have it installed on just ONE computer....

Thanks for the respectful and patient replies to Gary's question, you guys are awesome. You are the superstars Subsim is known for.

Gary, don't feel bad, that's a common mistake. I know about it and I sometimes forget. I guess the routine process of installing programs can be exactly that, routine. Except in some odd cases, it has to be done differently, such as in this case. Please let us know if you were successful in getting SH3 installed.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-15, 07:29 AM   #8
danasan
Elite Spam Hunter

Downloads: 39

@ Blitz,

believe me, I'm not misunderstanding anything here.

I am not going to quote Kpt. Lehman here.

"I invite you to go inside this submergible hole in the water where you can nicely hide from destroyers."
danasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-15, 06:19 PM   #9
GT182
Ocean Warrior

Ok, so you all know. I did not try to install in the Programs (x86) folder. That was a senior moment in typing. My mind was going in circles when I posted this thread. I apologize. I did make a Games folder on C drive and it was not in any folder... it was on it's own. It is possible I had a corrupt download of the 1.4b patch as my broadband was all screwed up. That's now fixed.

I tend to go with Sailor Steve's response on my 2005 SH3 dvd. I'm off and on my way down cellar to look for the later SH3 dvds I bought that don't have Starforce in them. At least I believe and hope they don't. I'll let you know as soon as I find them

As to all your replies, my thanks. I took no one's reply in a derogatory way. You all have been very helpful and it made me think. Remember now, when SH3 came out I waited until the 1.4b patch came out before I installed it. At one time I could do the install blindfolded. But that was while we all were using XP. It's sad that MS has forgotten about us all and came out with operating systems that are giving most out there headaches trying to play these older games and simulations. I am one of those. Believe me, it's hell forgetting what I thought I knew new so well, and having to put up with the changes these new operating systems have dumped on us all.

And Oliver, your Guide is fine as it is. I understood it. SH3 didn't. LOL

Dan, I wish I had it on another computer I could take it from. That I would do in a heartbeat.

to you all. And my thanks to Oliver and Dave. Besides Neal and SubSim, the two of you and got me re-interested in SH3, along with the new mods that have been made.

Edit:
BTW.. don't say it's solved just yet.

Last edited by GT182; 10-28-15 at 07:58 PM.
Old 10-28-15, 07:09 PM   #10
GT182
Ocean Warrior

No luck on a newer version of SH3 without Starforce. It's buried in a box somewhere or I gave it away to someone that wanted to play SH3.

So, if anyone has a copy without Starforce in it and willing to sell it, I'm very interested it buying it.

Edit:
Found a copy on Amazon but waiting for a reply as to the date it was made, and if Starforce is not included on the dvd.

Last edited by GT182; 10-28-15 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-29-15, 01:44 AM   #11
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Downloads: 298

I must be lucky but i've got almost all my games in the default X86 folder and they not only work just fine but mods work just fine as well. Never had any of the problems people seem to have with it. The only games I don't have there are games like SH3 where one needs multiple folders to work the mega-mods.
Old 10-29-15, 02:49 AM   #12
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

Downloads: 589
Uploads: 30

GT182 I have a spare SH3 DISC already patched to 1.4 no star force and once installed you dont need the dvd in your drive
just pm me your home address & ill send you the disc

THE PRIDE RUNS DEEP AT SUBSIM WE LOOK AFTER OUR OWN SALUTE
blackswan40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-15, 04:12 AM   #13
LIMarc
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Icon14

Blackswan & Blitzkrieg, you genius-guys really rule with your help!

I applaud and thank you so much.
Old 10-30-15, 09:50 PM   #14
GT182
Ocean Warrior

I'll soon have a SH3 dvd coming from Blackswan40.... as soon as I can get to the bank on Monday. Thanks Andy.

Old 11-02-15, 02:07 PM   #15
GT182
Ocean Warrior

Another question. I was looking in my Local Disc (C) and saw that SH5 is installed in a UBI folder. This UBI folder is not in Program Files or Program Files (x86). Would it hurt to install SH3 in the same folder?

Danasan, you got me thinking about putting SH3 on a 32gb thumb drive. Would that work? It sure would make it portable between 2 computers.

Last edited by GT182; 11-02-15 at 02:17 PM.