SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-20-16, 11:36 PM   #16
lukterran
Loader

Downloads: 7
Uploads: 0

Well steps taken:

1. Moved old saves into new folder off machine
2. Uninstalled and Deleted all Files etc...associated with Silent Hunter (Used 3rd party IOBit Power uninstaller to hunt down all those remain registry files etc).
3. Tried to create a new file location other than the Default for Steam under Program Files (x86). Ran into issue. Steam doesn't like to create another library on the same root drive. So had to install secondary HDD and create new game folders on new drive.
4. Downloaded game files for Silent Hunter 4 off Steam and verified all files. Rebooted machine.
5. Repreated step 4 for U-boat missions
6. Started and Test Silent Hunter to verify all was working correctly and because SH4 folder under Documents wasn't created until first execution of the game
7. Tested game in career mode. Everything seemed to work smoothly. Fast traveled to Toyko Harbor and encounted about half dozen TF and other convoys without lag or game crashing.
7. Installed MOD enabler into new Silent Hunter files and created snap shot of game files.
8. Installed OTC basic and Realistic Scopes mods. Game worked ok from my perspective. Didn't go far however.
9. Attempted to log old career with sub near Toyko Harbor and ran into game crashing issue again. The saved games are probably hosed so I deleted all old safes.
10. Going to restart career fresh and hope that things remain stable.
lukterran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-16, 09:43 AM   #17
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Ok, sounding good so far.

I know it's hard to do but, eliminating the entire SH4 folder is not a bad thing! Sure you'll lose those precious saves that showed your half million tons sunk on one partol....but its worth it to not replay a corrupted save and have you questioning your sanity.

Knowing that your main game files are intact is very important. That's why JSGME put the feature of "Compare Snapshot" into its app. The maker knew things happen (usually user error), and the Snapshot feature is one way of checking your game files for errors.

An easy way of getting your game files messed up is not adding/removing mods correctly within JSGME. I use the notion, "Last mod in....first mod out" when using more than one mod for activation. JSGME trys to help with a "Grey" color for a mod title that's been overwritten. However, even if the color is not greyed out, if you remove a mod out of its sequence of order JSGME has a large chance of not keeping tract of which change was last made......causing corrupted stock game files. The creator knew this could happen, so he put in a way to at least check for game corruption when no mods are installed.

After running the Compare Snapshot feature, a final inventory will be made of your game files with the possible findings of "Same"......All's well with the files; "New".....Something's been added. Could be an in-game image you took, or a file called Si.bin (a file the game makes when its first started), or a left over mod file that shouldn't be there (Not good); "Different".......Not so good. Probably a corrupted game file. "Removed"......Not so good either. You'll need to see what file was removed and why? You may have done it yourself and things are just fine without it.

If Steam allows a game file check, by all means use it. Can save a future reinstall by what you learn.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-16, 10:43 PM   #18
lukterran
Loader

Downloads: 7
Uploads: 0

Well I still don't fully think all my actions fixed everything.

New Campaign just now getting time to test. I haven't had a game crash but I did intentional go into a few harbors to try and see if lag etc continues. Yes it slows down and game has trouble going into higher TC after entry into harbors.

I am assuming something computational builds up over the course of the patrol that I am not detecting.

Anyways... completed steps for 4GB patch and LAA and confirmed lag issues still happen just not as bad.

Interestingly enough the game still when monitoring the processes only goes to about 1.65GB of RAM regardless of the patches or not. Really frustrating when I have more RAM that the game could every want just waiting to be used by it doesn't take advantage of those resources.
lukterran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-16, 07:32 AM   #19
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukterran
Anyways... completed steps for 4GB patch and LAA and confirmed lag issues still happen just not as bad.

Interestingly enough the game still when monitoring the processes only goes to about 1.65GB of RAM regardless of the patches or not. Really frustrating when I have more RAM that the game could every want just waiting to be used by it doesn't take advantage of those resources.
I've never run the 4GB patch, I've only used the Large Address Aware. I would think you don't use both together.

As far as the game itself.......yes, its too bad we can't squeeze more out of ram usage. The game engine, circa 2004, just isn't going to give you much more, even with an app like LAA. Shows where the "Simulation" game industry has run into the ditch compared with technology advances of the computer......their not keeping up!

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote