SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > Sub Command, Fleet Command, & Jane's 688(I)
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-04-07, 11:54 AM   #1
jdp
Nub

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default mission editor problems

This is rather a long one but if anyone can help I'd be grateful.

After watching the movie Hunt for Red October recently, I had the idea of creating a mission loosely based around this story.

My concept was as follows—
Own sub is tracking a Typhoon; own sub is radioed to RV with a helicopter to pick up a special ops agent.

Own sub picks up agent and resumes tracking of Typhoon.

Own sub is radioed to RV with a surface vessel to transfer DSRV to own sub.

Own sub then RVs with Typhoon to transfer special ops agent to Typhoon via DSRV.

The helicopter/special ops pick up works fine but there are problems with the other RVs which I can't resolve—

1) RV with surface vessel to receive DSRV—
As DSRV can only be selected at start, this is a bit of a fiction for the sake of gameplay. The idea was that there is a limited time that the surface vessel can wait. Using the Tactic option on a waypoint of the surface vessel I tried putting a time limit on the tactic so that the vessel would move away after the allocated time. This didn't work as the time reset itself to zero no matter how many times I set it.

I then tried simply using a tactic (Area waypoints) at very slow speed. This works ok but is not perfect. Any suggestions?

Is there a way to, for example, use Destination Goals to delete a controlable sub (without DSRV) and create a new controlable sub (with DSRV)?

2) Similar issues with the RV with the Typhoon. The only solution I could find to keep the Typhoon within a specified area for long enough, was to use an Area Waypoint tactic attached to a waypoint of the Typhoon, but again the time kept re-setting to zero. Also, with the Typhoon moving at even only 1 kt (the minimum speed that can be entered), the DSRV appeared not to mate but simply slowed to 1 kt and "chased" the Typhoon for eternity.

Setting the Typhoon's speed to zero worked better but then the Typhoon just sat there permanently and did not move off after the mating as I'd wished. I resolved this in a somewhat clumsy manner by using a couple of Destination Goals, one to delete the "old" Typhoon and another placed very close to create a "new" Typhoon with a new tactic.

3) The manual states that the XO will inform you when the DSRV has returned to own sub. This is not happening. Also the DSRV (even when the Typhoon is at zero kts) appears to approach the sub, pause for a while, then surface and wait on the surface for some minutes before returning to own sub. Is this normal?

I'm determined to get something playable out of this and will post it if and when I do.
jdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-07, 12:25 PM   #2
Fish
Eternal Patrol

Welcome jdp.

The DSRV is broken, better throw that map in the dust bin, it won't work.
Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-07, 02:32 AM   #3
jdp
Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish
Welcome jdp.

Thanks for the response but if you could be more specific it would help.
jdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-07, 03:40 AM   #4
Fish
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish
Welcome jdp.

Thanks for the response but if you could be more specific it would help.
More specific....? The DSRV is bugged in Sub Command as it is in Dangerous Waters.
You can't use it in mission building because of that.
Fish is offline   Reply With Quote