SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-19-10, 01:12 AM   #196
VonLowe
Watch

Downloads: 56
Uploads: 0

Radar how do you use it? Tips Suggestions Instructions or is it just a passive tool?
VonLowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-10, 04:39 AM   #197
elve84
Seaman

Downloads: 16

I can't get the dek gun to work manually. I am surfaced, look to my binoculars. but when i press spacebar i lock a ship for torpedo firing. what am i doing wrong or does the auto fire only work with the Mod installed?
elve84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-10, 05:43 AM   #198
SabreHawk
Captain

Downloads: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by elve84 View Post
I can't get the dek gun to work manually. I am surfaced, look to my binoculars. but when i press spacebar i lock a ship for torpedo firing. what am i doing wrong or does the auto fire only work with the Mod installed?
No I dont have any mods installed, not yet anyway. I plan to if the next patch doesn't fix what I want.
But I was chasing down a ship last night, finally got close enough for a visual and once the WO announced he'd spotted it I went to binocular view, got the ship insight and held the crosshair on it till it turns red. Then as it's red hit spacebar and then an arrow appears below the ship, and a little deckgun icon appears in the upper left corner of binocular and about 10 seconds later I hear them start firing away.
Now of course I will also assume this will require the right weather and sea state. Which I had.

If the sea conditions are rough you may not get this to work, at least it shouldnt anyway but I dont know as I haven't tried but in the past SH titles a rough sea, where a lot of pitching and rolling is going on will prevent manning of the guns.
Old 03-19-10, 06:59 AM   #199
Athlonic
Chief

Downloads: 51
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Hi, to use the deckgun manually you have to walk to it.
That's it, like in real life, go down the hatch and walk on your sub till you reach the deckgun and clic and boom.
You also have (when sitting on the gun) an icon on the upperleft corner to zoom in when firing (with spacebar).

Hope it helps.

Athlonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-10, 07:07 AM   #200
elve84
Seaman

Downloads: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athlonic View Post
Hi, to use the deckgun manually you have to walk to it.
That's it, like in real life, go down the hatch and walk on your sub till you reach the deckgun and clic and boom.
You also have (when sitting on the gun) an icon on the upperleft corner to zoom in when firing (with spacebar).

Hope it helps.

I know this, it also works fine with me. but can't get it to autofire from the bridge.
elve84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-10, 07:21 AM   #201
sergei
Sea Lord

Downloads: 405
Uploads: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreHawk View Post
Then also hitting space again had them to hold fire.
That's useful, I didn't know that
sergei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-10, 07:23 AM   #202
sergei
Sea Lord

Downloads: 405
Uploads: 29

Quote:
I know this, it also works fine with me. but can't get it to autofire from the bridge.
Has your morale dropped to zero? That would stop the crew manning the deck gun.
See this post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergei View Post
That is probably due to the morale bug. After a save and reload the game will reset your morale points to zero.
Manning the deck gun 'costs' you 1 morale point. If the game has zeroed out your morale points they just refuse to do their bloody jobs!
I'm using one of the morale fix mods, that set the cost of essential jobs to zero, so the crew will still do their jobs even if the game has magicked away all your morale points.

Try this.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...ghlight=morale
There may be others available
sergei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-10, 09:37 AM   #203
SabreHawk
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergei View Post
That's useful, I didn't know that
Yeah I just figured whatever started it, would stop it as well. And I was right.
Again thanks so much for the tip on this to start with, sure made this last attack before returning for resupply a pleasure to conduct. (was on the way back for reload when we stumbled onto this ship).
So now we really are out of ammo with only 10 rounds of AP shells left, probably only enough to take out a fishing boat if that, and I wouldn't do that anyway.
So yeah we are indeed empty, and the crew's heads so big nearly unable to get through a hatchway, well except for Benno who's likely to be walking the plank if he doesnt start obeying orders.
Old 03-19-10, 09:54 AM   #204
Decoman
Frogman

Downloads: 24

Tip: If you find it awkward to find the best time for making a screenshots (when usingthe external camera) by pressing Ctrl + F11, you can press 'Back' key to pause, and move the camera around as you please, or just pause to catch the right moment for making a nice screenshot.
Decoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-10, 04:12 PM   #205
Herodotus
Sailor man

Downloads: 85

Quote:
I think you mean you can't get the deck gun to work "automatically", as manually you just have to walk up and click on it.
To get get the gunners to fire, don't click on the binoculars. Just zoom with your mousewheel from the bridge. Look at the target and when the crosshairs are red press spacebar. The gunners will then fire, and will shift target automatically.
Just don't forget to tell the WO to "Man the deck gun" first.
Herodotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-10, 05:35 PM   #206
griffin6062
Nub

Downloads: 42

Ahoy, mates. Newbe here to the site, got a question that may have been answered, I can't seem to find the the key pad that opens the radio or the grammaphone.

any help will be much appreciated.
griffin6062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-10, 05:38 PM   #207
SabreHawk
Captain

Actually you dont even have to have the WO man the deck gun prior to locking the target in the binocular view. Last night all I did was get the crosshair on the ship, crosshair turned red and I hit spacebar. The deck gun wasnt manned before I did this, in fact asking the WO to have it manned didn't do a thing even though he yelled out the order. Nobody came.
But when I locked the target in the binocs, that was all it took, they manned it and then began firing on the ship. I gave no order to the WO.
And further, hitting the spacebar again stopped the firing.
After the ship was then destroyed and sinking, I then hit "R" for the surface command and that unmanned the gun, even though this should be accomplished by F5, at least it works. It's bug for sure, but at least now I have a way to get the job done.
So far about the only ting that WO is good for is spotting ships, which so far he actually has done a good job of. He seems to be able to spot smoke on the horizon, where I cant see a thing out there.
And this attack was at night, and quite dark too and in fog.
Old 03-20-10, 04:02 AM   #208
ThinAir
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

Hey,

first Q, can i aim at a certain parts of the boat by using auto tdc? how? for example, let say i want to hit middle, or very front and etc.
also, whats the best depth for the torpedo, or does it depend on the boat i am attacking? Boats do have different length bottoms (ones are deeper in the water, others not).

Thanks a lot.
ThinAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-10, 10:49 AM   #209
Tex_100
Nub

Downloads: 1

Hi, I press spacebar to lock a ship but the periscope will not stay tracking the center of the target as in previous games. Is there something I'm missing or is that just the way it is? Also, after locking a target, how do you know the range, speed etc.? Many thanks...
Tex_100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-10, 11:21 AM   #210
Scoochy
Sparky

Downloads: 24

In this version, the periscope does not stay centered on the target. You're not doing anything wrong.

Range can be determined by the Stadimeter (although arguably inaccurate at long range) or by using the map tools with "Map Contact Updates ON".

Speed can also be determined by using the Stadimeter, or by using the 3 minute rule by marking the contact on the map and using the distance traveled in 3 minutes to determine the speed. e.g. 400 kilometers in 3 minutes = 4 knots.

There are also mods available that provide other means of getting both speed and range.
Scoochy is offline   Reply With Quote