Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-18, 07:39 PM   #5251
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Thanks for that link. It's important to actually show where things come from, not just call people names.
Old 08-23-18, 07:00 AM   #5252
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32
Uploads: 0

And now, a word from the President of the United States of America:

Quote:
NO COLLUSION - RIGGED WITCH HUNT!
Such elegance.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...95180530835456
Old 08-23-18, 07:19 AM   #5253
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
And now, a word from the President of the United States of America:

Such elegance.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...95180530835456

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." - H. L. Mencken
Old 08-23-18, 10:13 AM   #5254
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
US President Donald Trump has responded to speculation that he might be impeached by warning that any such move would damage the economy.

In an interview with Fox & Friends, he said the market would crash and "everybody would be very poor".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45285585

Could this be the first sign of a shift in his attitude/position?

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 08-23-18, 10:31 AM   #5255
Skybird
Soaring

No, its just a very severe case of erdoghanitis major. The disease, which infests the brain and is literally impossible to be extracted from there once it has started to breed, has a very high intellectual lethality rate and is almost completely resistent to conventional drugs and therapies. Also highly contagious, even visual and accoustical contact alone can transmit the bug. Patients best are kept in life-long strict isolation in high security facilities without contact to the outer world, else the bug springs to temporary hosts and spreads again from there. Literature knows examples where whole nations got infested and declined with the bug staying inside the brains of the infested population for years to come.
Old 08-23-18, 10:38 AM   #5256
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

We all know by now not to trust the polls, right?

Biden? Sanders? and Warren?

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign...-2020-matchups

Quote:
President Trump trails top Democrats in potential matchups of likely 2020 White House candidates, according to a new poll.

The Politico/Morning Consult poll released Wednesday found that Trump lags behind former Vice President Joe Biden and Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders (I) by 12 points each.

The president also trails 4 points behind Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D) in the poll.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Old 08-23-18, 04:46 PM   #5257
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
Again, are you suggesting that only one side does this? Politicians are by nature hypocrites. It's in the rule book....

You mean like the Clintons and the Podestas.
Ahh, the old reliable go-to "strategy": if one is unable to defend Trump on principles and facts, immediately bring up the "look at the other guys!" ploy. Unfortunately for Trump, and any others trawling in his wake, courts of law, and the law itself, doesn't allow "well, everybody else does it" as an exculpatory defense or mitigation. Maybe the Trumpers should stop getting their Pampers in a bunch, grow a pair, and at least make some rational, factual attempt to defend their guy without resorting to juvenile deflection attempts...

As I said before, if any of the Trumpers or the GOP have got any real spine, they would move to at least try to move to prosecute the Clintons, Obama, et al, instead of using tired smoke screens...

As a matter of fact, someone has been quietly going after 'The Swamp" in DC and has even scooped up a couple of Clinton/Obama associates:

Quote:

In addition to the investigations of Mr. Manafort and Mr. Gates, who pleaded guilty in February to numerous financial crimes and became a cooperating witness in the special counsel investigation, Mr. Mueller’s team pursued three other investigations into lawyers and lobbyists who did work in Ukraine.

The cases involve Gregory B. Craig, who served as the White House counsel under President Barack Obama before leaving to work for the law firm Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom; Tony Podesta, an influential Washington lobbyist whose brother, John D. Podesta, was chairman of Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign; and former Representative Vin Weber, Republican of Minnesota, who joined the lobbying firm Mercury Public Affairs after leaving Congress.

None have been charged with any crimes. Mr. Mueller’s referral of those cases several months ago to federal prosecutors in New York was revealed in news reports on Tuesday.

Mueller’s Digging Exposes Culture of Foreign Lobbying and Its Big Paydays --

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/01/u...s-mueller.html

Some may have noted that Trump lawyer Michael Cohen has been subpoenaed by the State of New York prosecutors in regards to the NY State criminal investigation of the Donald J. Trump Foundation, Trump's ostensible "charity" foundation, that seems to have benefited Trump more than any actual persons in need of assistance:

New York state subpoenas Cohen in Trump Foundation probe --

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.c78aba5d5d68

There is a significance to the NY State investigation: if convicted of any criminality in relation to the conduct of business of the Foundation, Cohen could not depend on a Presidential Pardon (not that Cohen has a ghost of chance after what's happened this week) since Presidential Pardon power does not extend to State-level crimes, so Trump has no leverage on Cohen, or anyone else, who may be accused or convicted under NY State law. Equally significant is the fact, under the limits of the Presidential Pardon, Trump, if indicted, tried and convicted could neither pardon himself nor be pardoned by his successor(s). In the case of the Trump Foundation investigations, if Trump did the crime, he will do the time...

It should be remembered that Trump fired the former US Attorney for the Southern District of New York, well known as a very tough and capable prosecutor against corruption, who was just beginning an investigation into allegations of fraud, malfeasance, and possible money laundering, within the Trump Foundation. Trump had known of the investigation(s) into his Foundation prior to occupying the Oval Office and knew he was particularly vulnerable under the administration of the US Attorney for the Southern District of New York. In a scenario strikingly similar to Trump's attempt to co-opt James Comey over the DOJ's Russian investigation, by soliciting contacts and meetings with Comey, Trump tried to establish a relationship with the US Atty-NYSD that was not only highly unusual but also highly suspect. As with so many other such overtures by Trump, which left the targets of his efforts resorting to documenting/recording his contacts r refusing further contact, the US Atty-NYSD also rebuffed Trump with the result of Trump, who had originally asked the US Atty-NYSD to stay on after the election, firing the US Atty-NYSD abruptly. Another odd Trump "coincidence", eh?

Ex-US Attorney Preet Bharara tells the full story of Donald Trump firing him and gives his reason for why --

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/22/ex-u...iring-him.html

Which leads to handling of the rule of law..

Quote:

Look no administration is without sin. Personally I am much more concerned about how an administration handles the rule of law. Corruption and politics are bedfellows but incompetence and political interference are inexcusable. If one of the Trump's campaign/Administration members, for example, Trump's personal lawyer acting on Trump's behalf or, say, Trump's campaign manger, among others, is indicted, pleads guilty, is tried and convicted, something is wrong. Who is ultimately responsible? The guy who is responsible is anything but quiet, trying to place blame on anyone but himself for the effects of his actions. I see a parallel to the sleaziest excesses and illegalities of the Nixon administration. Yes there is lots to complain about...

Then there's that private, undocumented, furtive meeting with Putin.
Update and fixed that for you, no charge, since you are so concerned about the "Rule of Law" and all...

...not to also mention:

Quote:

Corruption and politics are bedfellows but incompetence and political interference are inexcusable.
Inexcusable: what an apt description...

Quote:

Well I am curious.... who would you suggest for the Dem candidate to run against Trump..oops.. I mean Pence.
Don't know, since its not my party and I don't 'subscribe' to any party. At this point I pretty much don't give a monkey's who might be considered in the running at this date, particularly since the 2020 Presidential election is over two years away and a whole lot may change by the actual election. I mean, look at the 2016 Election Season that started of with a Klown Kar of GOP candidates who didn't make the cut. By the time 2020's Election Season starts, I might start to take an interest in particular candidates of any party; I take the position of they have to sell themselves to me, provide me wait substantial, logical reasons to give them my vote; this is one of the advantages of being an Independent: I actually think for myself and not let a party or anyone/anything else do my thinking for me. I am, after all, fully grown, with reasonable intelligence, and with a right of having my own opinions and choices. I may be many things, but I will never be a lemming...

In the time since I started typing this, the news has come out that longtime Trump supporter and 'launderer' of Trump's dirty, tabloid publisher David Pecker (yes, that is his real name) has apparently struck an immunity deal with Federal Prosecutors regarding information on Trumps dealings with Cohen over hush money:

David Pecker, American Media Chief, Is Said to Have Immunity in Trump Inquiry --

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/23/u...ity-trump.html

Quote:

The tabloid executive David J. Pecker has been granted immunity by federal prosecutors investigating payments during the 2016 campaign to two women who said they had affairs with Donald J. Trump, a person familiar with the investigation confirmed on Thursday.

Mr. Pecker is the chairman of American Media Inc., the nation’s biggest tabloid news publisher, best known for its flagship, The National Enquirer.
He is close to Mr. Trump and the president’s former lawyer and fixer, Michael D. Cohen, and had been integral to a campaign effort to help protect Mr. Trump from embarrassing stories about women as he ran for the presidency.

The Wall Street Journal reported Wednesday night that Mr. Pecker was cooperating with prosecutors, and Vanity Fair published news of the immunity deal on Thursday.

The agreement adds another unusual aspect to a case never seen before in the annals of presidential campaign finance history. It means that a company that operates as a news organization is cooperating with federal authorities on an investigation that involves its work with a campaign.

“Holy ***, I Thought Pecker Would Be the Last One to Turn”: Trump’s National Enquirer Allies Are the Latest to Defect --

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018...-michael-cohen

Poor Little Donny, lonelier and lonelier...

<O>

Last edited by vienna; 08-23-18 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-23-18, 05:04 PM   #5258
vienna
Navy Seal

Just found this. I always enjoy when Trump's statements in interviews are held up to factual lights:

The 36 most outrageous lines in Donald Trump's Fox News interview --

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/23/polit...ews/index.html

<O>
Old 08-23-18, 05:28 PM   #5259
Skybird
Soaring

Have not my glasses at hand - is that a tie or a loop Trump is wearing?
Old 08-23-18, 05:28 PM   #5260
vienna
Navy Seal

This has been very big news here in Southern California:

Duncan Hunter, GOP lawmaker and Marine vet, indicted on corruption charges --

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/p...ption-charges/

Duncan Hunter’s appalling greed and grubbiness --

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.0aaf083d4e3f

There has been a growing backlash against Hunter, particularly over this revelation:

Quote:

Expenditures ranged from the mundane ($32.31 for family groceries) to the mind-boggling ($14,261 for a family Thanksgiving vacation in Italy). To hide the personal payments, prosecutors said family dental bills were listed as charitable contributions to “Smiles for Life,” tickets to SeaWorld were called an “educational tour,” and clothing purchases at a golf course were camouflaged as golf “balls for wounded warriors.”

For a Marine to do something like this is beyond the pale. Even the local Conservative radio show host are openly condemning Hunter and his deeds...

...and get this: he's been claiming on the radio reports here that the charges are "politically motivated", that he is a victim of a "witch hunt", and that the DOJ is the "prosecutorial arm of the Democratic Party"...

...Sound familiar?...

<O>
Old 08-23-18, 06:11 PM   #5261
Skybird
Soaring

What the dollar as the world's dominant reserve currency has to do with the trade deficit of the US. This is a bot translation.

https://translate.google.com/transla...310&edit-text=

Quote:
The status of the US dollar as the dominant global reserve currency implies that the US economy suffers from persistent trade deficits and growing external debt. As the world piles up the American currency as reserves and uses the dollar as a key currency in international trade, the dollars that a country gains from its exports to the United States do not rewind as demand for US goods, but migrate to the United States as finance capital. The foreign central banks and international investors use the dollar surplus to buy US government bonds and bonds. At the end of 2017, the total debt of the US federal budget held by foreign and international investors was more than $ 6 trillion.

As the US dollar is overvalued in terms of purchasing power, American exports will inevitably become less competitive. Consequently, the United States is suffering from persistent current account deficits. Since the beginning of the 1980s, the United States has not achieved a significant surplus in the current account. In 2017, the US annual current account deficit was $ 500 billion, while at the beginning of the new century it temporarily exceeded $ 800 billion.

Over time, current account deficits accumulate and lead to a negative international investment position. These represent external debt for the US as a deficit country and foreign assets for the countries with a trade surplus. At the end of 2017, US external debt was around $ 8 trillion in net foreign assets.

(...)
The United States has a continuing trade deficit, not because of "unfair trade," but because the dollar serves as a global reserve currency. For example, while the purchasing power parity of the US dollar against the Chinese currency would be 3.5 yuan per dollar , the actual exchange rate at the beginning of August 2018 was 6.8 yuan per dollar . But China is just one of the most extreme cases. With few exceptions (especially Norway and Switzerland), the US dollar is overvalued in terms of purchasing power parity against almost all other currencies.
Norway and Switzerland. Hear, hear.

Quote:
That no new empire follows the American would also be in the well-understood interest of the possible candidates. A world empire is born and falls with the leading role of its currency. But in the ascent is already foreshadowed the fall. As the imperial superpower, through the dominance of its currency, can afford excessive levels of consumption, it undermines its own productive capacity in the long run, thus embarking on its own demise.

German original source: LINK

Unfairness? Has nothing to do with it, Donny. But thanks for the entertainment you provide us with. The problem is - "made in the US".

Last edited by Skybird; 08-23-18 at 06:22 PM.
Skybird is online  
Old 08-23-18, 07:48 PM   #5262
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45285585

Could this be the first sign of a shift in his attitude/position?

No, the leftist press has talked impeachment ever since he was elected. This is just the latest version of Democrat crap like they have been slinging without success for two years now. Nothing has stuck so far and I suspect that this will be no different.

I will say this for them though, the Dems sure can handle disappointment, well at least the ones not shooting up Republican congressmen or posing for pictures with severed Trump heads. When you think about it the rank and file have remained quite optimistic in the face of constant failure. What'll this be, like the 100th time their hopes for overturning the 2016 presidential election will be dashed?

After all ever since Trump announced his candidacy it's been a non stop succession of accusatory broadsides from the left, delivered with righteous fire and fury by a liberal press that has long since abandoned any pretense of objectivity. Each "major bombshell" is portrayed as the thing that finally brings him down and it gets the liberals hopes up, only to see Trump emerge from the smoke once again unscathed and delivering broadsides of his own. How absolutely depressing it must be!

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
Old 08-23-18, 08:20 PM   #5263
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Almost every single day I see a few #WalkAway videos getting posted on facebook, and I'm pretty sure they're not Russian bots.
Old 08-24-18, 03:41 AM   #5264
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
When you think about it the rank and file have remained quite optimistic in the face of constant failure.
It's quite easy to remain optimistic when the Special Counsel keeps proving the "fake news" to be actually quite true.

As for Democrats, let me remind you that for example the Special Counsel was set up because the Republican president fired the Republican FBI director which prompted the Republican Deputy AG (nominated by Trump, BTW) to appoint Robert Mueller, a Republican, to lead the Special Counsel, which I might add was supported also by the Republicans in the Congress.

Goddamn Democrats!
Old 08-24-18, 08:04 AM   #5265
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
Ahh, the old reliable go-to "strategy": if one is unable to defend Trump on principles and facts, immediately bring up the "look at the other guys!" ploy.
I'll try to stop doing that if you stop editing my posts with that ''Update and fixed that for you, no charge," thing that you do.

I have the feeling that you consider me to be a Trump apologist.

Quote:
Maybe the Trumpers should stop getting their Pampers in a bunch, grow a pair, and at least make some rational, factual attempt to defend their guy without resorting to juvenile deflection attempts...
I guess I'll have to use phrases like Trumpers, minions, evil GOP and post some Colbert and SNL videos to pass the smell test.

Quote:
Ex-US Attorney Preet Bharara
As always there are two sides to every story.

Quote:
And thus was born the powerful myth of Preet Bharara, martyred US Attorney.
https://www.thenation.com/article/fl...preet-bharara/

Quote:
..the question still looms large as to whether the legend of Bharara is deserved. He has been strutting through the Trump era as some sort of Mr. Accountability. But is he morally justified in doing so?
Quote:
But the glaring omission from this impressive list of successes has been his abject failure to prosecute any Wall Street bankers, traders, or executives for their roles in exacerbating the 2008 financial crisis in fraudulent ways. There was plenty of evidence—e-mails, documents, reports from bankers to the legal authorities—that some on Wall Street knowingly packaged up into securities billions of dollars of mortgages that did not meet the underwriting standards at various big banks, including Citigroup and JPMorgan Chase, and sold them off as supposedly money-good securities all over the world.

Such prosecutions are usually the preserve of the Southern District of New York. But Bharara abdicated that responsibility during his nearly eight years in office, despite having his face slapped on the cover of Time magazine, in 2012, with the headline, “This Man Is Busting Wall St.” He has never given a good explanation for his sins of omission, other than the bland defense that he would have brought prosecutions if he could have brought them. He has seen the evidence, his argument goes, and the rest of us have not. So back off.
Quote:
“Bharara knew how to drain the Wall Street swamp,” Bill Black, an associate professor of economics and law at the University of Missouri–Kansas City, wrote on the Naked Capitalism blog in March 2017. “He had the facts, the staff, and the jurisdiction to drain the Wall Street swamp. Bharara refused to do so.”
Many Americans are still upset that the bad guys in the 2008 financial crisis were not prosecuted. That kind of thing probably contributed in some way to the election of Donald Trump. I wonder if Mr. Bharara has any self awareness of this consequence.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

Closed Thread

Tags
biden, clinton, election, harris, obama, politics, trump, twitter