Closed Thread

Old 07-09-18, 02:16 AM   #136
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Since most of the rest of the article follows on from this opening assertion, I don't really see how it undermines my argument:

The line that men "tend" to engage in risky behaviour seems to me rather unscientific; "tend" is a word suggesting something untabulated. The article goes on to affirm that "gender differences in fatality risks diminish with age" (as one might expect) so the claim about "men" per se engaging in risky driving looks grossly unfair.

"...because men typically drive more than women..." only supports my argument that men are bound, statistically, to be involved in more accidents... this does not give scientific support to the claim that women are better drivers... the two things are unrelated. The latter is the subject of my thread.
Old 07-09-18, 02:31 AM   #137
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

In that case the only "scientific" conclusion would have to be that all the bad women drivers in the UK live within a 10-mile radius of you. You seem to be the only one who has this problem.
Old 07-09-18, 02:40 AM   #138
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

No.... I am the only one who has begun a diary on Subsim about this problem
Old 07-12-18, 05:18 AM   #139
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
Coming soon...

STEED's week of general observation as a pedestrian.

Mon-Wed..Nothing to report.

Thu-Sun.. (coming soon)

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 07-12-18, 10:28 AM   #140
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Hmmm, clear case of conformists vs. free thought.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is online  
Old 07-13-18, 05:43 AM   #141
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
Mon-Wed..Nothing to report.

Thu-Sun.. (coming soon)
Thursday...

I waited at the corner of the road as there was a post van approaching and it turned right without indicating. I was thinking he would go pass me but no, oh dear me. OK, very minor fault but never the less the driver should had made it clear in what direction they were going.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 07-14-18, 05:36 AM   #142
STEED
Lucky Jack

Nothing Fri/Sat and that's a wrap. Not going out Sunday too hot, on average i spot one driver a week doing something they should not.

Old 07-14-18, 01:38 PM   #143
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

Non scientific observations from 12 years of being a medic:

Women cause more accidents, but are of the "Whoopsy, my bad" variety. Simple fender benders, bumping into poles, etc. Light weight stuff.

Men are the cause of most of the more severe accidents. Driving too fast, recklessly, etc. The majority of the time, if there were no other cars on the road, they would be fine. But it's when somebody does something normal, but without checking where this idiot is going, does it turn bad.

Of course, this is completely anecdotal, and is not scientific at all.

Old 07-14-18, 02:11 PM   #144
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

I think womens biggest problem with driving is they are too easily distracted. It's been my observation that coming to a red light most men will keep their attention on the light waiting for it to change then they go when it does. Women on the other hand, as soon as they stop at the light you can see their head turn to start fiddling with things on the floor or in the back seat or whatever and they miss the light turning green so everyone has to wait until they decide to notice, then they usually take off running the now red light leaving everyone behind them stuck.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
Old 07-14-18, 06:39 PM   #145
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default IFIN' THAT COACH IS ROCKIN', WE WON'T BOTHER KNOCKIN'....

Quote:
I think womens biggest problem with driving is they are too easily distracted. It's been my observation that coming to a red light....you can see their head turn to start fiddling with things on the floor or in the back seat
GEEZE!! I'M GOIN' VISUAL ON THIS CONCEPT BBY! THEY DON'T CALL IT A 'RED LIGHT' DISTRICT FER NUTHIN'

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online  
Old 07-14-18, 10:15 PM   #146
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargamel View Post
Non scientific observations from 12 years of being a medic:

Women cause more accidents, but are of the "Whoopsy, my bad" variety. Simple fender benders, bumping into poles, etc. Light weight stuff.

Men are the cause of most of the more severe accidents. Driving too fast, recklessly, etc. The majority of the time, if there were no other cars on the road, they would be fine. But it's when somebody does something normal, but without checking where this idiot is going, does it turn bad.

Of course, this is completely anecdotal, and is not scientific at all.
Geese Louise, if we are going to wax anecdotal, I see three types and sex doesn't make any difference. There are those that drive to fast and make bad decisions, those that drive too slow and make bad decisions, and those that drive fast,or slow, but are paying attention and make good decisions. The problem is you never know who that next driver is going to be so expect the bad decisions and live for another day.

Personally, I treat all drivers of German cars as bad drivers. They either think they are God's gift to driving or are very old and use the death clutch on the steering wheel. Next in line are Prius drivers who think they deserve to be in the left overtaking lane regardless of what their speed is, or are the most clueless drivers in the world. After that is any guy with a diesel truck and an ego to match the tire size.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Old 07-14-18, 11:12 PM   #147
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
After that is any guy with a diesel truck and an ego to match the tire size.

But only to a point, once the diesel vehicle in question grows to commercial size, they usually tend to be the better, safer drivers on the road. It's just that when things wrong for them, they go really wrong.

Quote:

Geese Louise, if we are going to wax anecdotal, I see three types and sex doesn't make any difference. There are those that drive to fast and make bad decisions, those that drive too slow and make bad decisions, and those that drive fast,or slow, but are paying attention and make good decisions. The problem is you never know who that next driver is going to be so expect the bad decisions and live for another day.
Yup.

Old 07-20-18, 07:21 PM   #148
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Default Today...

A residential road, so one or two cars at the kerbside. I'd need soon to pass one that was parked on my side, and there was another (occupied) parked on the other side a little futher on, so I'd have to pull around the first and in again to avoid the second.

As I came up behind and to the outside of the first car and prepared to pass it, the second car.... which had been stationary while a lot of females climbed in.... instead of waiting for me to come past the parked vehicle, just started forward and came straight on, with no indicator used, forcing me to stop. I would say, under any other circumstances, that she must be blind, but blind people are not allowed to drive over here.

And I somehow knew just what she was going to do... perhaps because of all my past experience of how good our women drivers really are.
Old 07-20-18, 08:53 PM   #149
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

I'm not a driving instructor
I can therefore not say if those I have been with as a passanger have been better driver then others.

There are though, those I feel more comfortable with then others.

And here there are no different among my female and male friends.

Back to sad real life story.

This happened in the end of the 80's.

I worked for a smaller construction company and we were working on a bigger constructions side.

This day, which was a Friday start of the summer, one of the bricklayers from an another company had to take some hours earlier free this day, He had an appointment with his dentist.

Remember we stood outside our Baracks after our break some of was smoking and some was drinking a bear. This bricklayer wasn't he had to drive his car.

He said goodbye while laughing at something one of the others told us.

This was the last time I saw him.

On his way home he drove faster than allowed. Instead of driving the main road home he toke a detour which is shorter but it is on very small roads and there was some small towns here and there. In one of these little town, a little boy ran out to get his boll.
This bricklayer came round the corner had no time to hit the brake.

If I remember correctly the boy died later.

My uncle told me this during the weekend and we got the information at work.
Later I was told by my uncle
He got a verdict and lost his driving licens for some years.

This was so to say the easy part.

Some years later after I had stopped working for this company, my uncle told me he had tried to take his life and he have become a alcoholic.
His marriage was destroyed.

So drink and drive may result in fine or maybe prison and lost of driving licens, but taking another persons life especially if it is a child will destroy the drivers life for good.

Markus
mapuc is online  
Old 07-20-18, 09:12 PM   #150
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Back when I was still living with my parents, I used to hate riding in the car when my mother would drive.

You know those huge signs that are above highways? She used to wait until she was almost under one of them and then ask me, "what does that sign say?"

"It says that you really need to wear your glasses while driving".