SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-09-11, 05:47 PM   #121
stoianm
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 833
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poacher886 View Post
Basically i am in the bunker. I have selected my Emblem and equipted my boat with it, it shows my emblem as the one selected in the upgrades panel.

I then came out of the upgrades panel and walked down the peir/jetty to look at my conning tower in the pen, but my old emblem is still on the boat!, what im thinking is when i start a new patrol (and teleport to boat) it will then show on my U-boat.

I've just taken a copy of my emblem and opened it in Paint.net. I made some adjustments to the cut away bits on the sides (coloured them shades of grey), then i saved with default dds settings (i.e i didn't touch anything) and once again my emblem is back to 32.1kb !!!!!

Remember this is a copy to test with, i have not screwed with the one in the game...thanks for the offer of doing it for me, but i dont want to have to bother you every time i want to do a new emblem, why is it that i cant seem to size it to 85.4kb regardless of leaving the sizes untouched??

What do i need to do?

Thanks
i oped the jpeg file and i choose to resize as i told you 256x256 and also maintain the aspect ratio (important)
i save the jpeg like this
i convert the jpeg in dds and when it asking me what setings i want to use i play with those settings until i have 85.5 size
stoianm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-11, 05:50 PM   #122
Poacher886
Chief

Downloads: 36
Uploads: 0

Ok i'll try, the best i got before was 64kb, but i'll have another go,

Edit: yes its the same game, DXT3 and DXT5 give you 64.1kb, others give you 128kb and 256kb, but regardless of which i choose once i've saved it and hover my mouse over the file on my desktop its always 32.1kb?

I;ll have to play again tomorrow, its getting late.
Poacher886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 01:50 AM   #123
WillyVic
Mate

Downloads: 130

Poacher,

When you save it as a DXT3 file make sure you save the mip maps with it. This will give you the 86KB size.

I highly recommend getting DXTBMP program. It will heal all your ills with DDS conversions. You set your default paint program, export the dds file to it, make your changes, save it, and import it back into DXTBMP then save. It is a very user friendly program. I have been using it for years.

Link:
http://www.btinternet.com/~mnwright/programs/dxtbmp.htm

Hope this helps a bit.
WV
WillyVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 12:08 PM   #124
Poacher886
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyVic View Post
Poacher,

When you save it as a DXT3 file make sure you save the mip maps with it. This will give you the 86KB size.

I highly recommend getting DXTBMP program. It will heal all your ills with DDS conversions. You set your default paint program, export the dds file to it, make your changes, save it, and import it back into DXTBMP then save. It is a very user friendly program. I have been using it for years.

Link:
http://www.btinternet.com/~mnwright/programs/dxtbmp.htm

Hope this helps a bit.
WV

Thanks,

This is new ground for me...i'll try your program suggestion, though saving mipmaps gives you 86kb you say...but thats not 85.4kb! i though it had to be exact!

Edit: i just quickly tried saving with Mipmaps, and it say's "preview size 85.5kb" perfect. But. once i've saved that and then hover my mouse over the dds file it says 64.1kb!!!

I just used your link and suggested softwre,,,worked first time thanks!!!

Last edited by Poacher886; 02-10-11 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-10-11, 01:01 PM   #125
Poacher886
Chief

One more thing, im wanting to take a screenshot of my boats conning tower so i can match the colour of it perfectly...i pressed shift+F11 and the screen froze and did nothing else!

Eventually i had to boot out of the game. Anything im doing wrong and where would i find my svreenshot anyway?

Thanks
Old 02-10-11, 01:10 PM   #126
stoianm
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
One more thing, im wanting to take a screenshot of my boats conning tower so i can match the colour of it perfectly...i pressed shift+F11 and the screen froze and did nothing else!

Eventually i had to boot out of the game. Anything im doing wrong and where would i find my svreenshot anyway?

Thanks
wrong combination - try CTRL+F11
Old 02-10-11, 01:20 PM   #127
Poacher886
Chief

I pressed cntrl+F11 but nothing happened! should i notice anything? and where would i find the screenshot? perhps i did take it after all!

Thanks
Old 02-10-11, 01:21 PM   #128
stoianm
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
I pressed cntrl+F11 but nothing happened! should i notice anything? and where would i find the screenshot? perhps i did take it after all!

Thanks
After that go to C:\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 5 and you will find your screenshoots in this location
Old 02-10-11, 02:18 PM   #129
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Downloads: 166
Uploads: 28

@Poacher

If you use the tool "Magic Wand" in paint.net it will select everything of that colour.
So using the wand, click on the white bits and press delete. This will remove it from the image and you will see the u-boat underneath.
Old 02-10-11, 02:22 PM   #130
WillyVic
Mate

Downloads: 130

Glad I could help Poacher.

With DXTBMP you can also edit/create the alpha channel in much the same way. For emblem alphas, I take the original pic , create a negative image of it and save it. Then I load up the DDS file in DXTBMP, send the alpha to the editor, paste the negative image over the alpha, reimport into DXTBMP, and save the entire thing.

And as stoianm said, your saved pics will be in your root SH5 folder. You are looking for files that appear as (example):
SH5Img@2011-02-11_11.29.33.bmp. <----disregard the link, the forum thinks I have typed an email address because of the @ symbol in the file name.

WV
WillyVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-11, 12:58 PM   #131
Poacher886
Chief

Thanks guy's im really happy with my new Emblem...not the mark one eyeball!

Thanks for the heads up regarding the "Magic wand"..that was what i was looking for.

I would insert my screenshot of my new emblem, but not sure how to do that..when i click on "insert image" it asks me for the http/. etc?

Any easy way to attach and display a picture in my post?

Thanks
Old 03-13-11, 07:14 PM   #132
scorpiondown
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 107

pretty new to SH5...do you have to complete a mission to have upgrades available to use this mod?
Thanks!!!!
scorpiondown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-12, 12:41 PM   #133
Masterchen
Seaman

Downloads: 111
Default edit into dds

Hi there i made a custom painting for my personal emblem but i have problems to edit it to a dds file my painting is size 256x256 and i have it as png and jpg

If someone could edit it for me into a dds file with the exact size to use it in my sh game i would be very happy or at least tell me how i can edit it myself so that it has the size of 85kb or whatever it needs to be

thanks and here are the pictures:

Greatings

Masterchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-12, 01:10 PM   #134
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterchen View Post
Hi there i made a custom painting for my personal emblem but i have problems to edit it to a dds file my painting is size 256x256 and i have it as png and jpg

If someone could edit it for me into a dds file with the exact size to use it in my sh game i would be very happy or at least tell me how i can edit it myself so that it has the size of 85kb or whatever it needs to be

thanks and here are the pictures:

Greatings
Nice one!

Here's your dds file:
http://www.mediafire.com/?l72umgd91g44h8j

Last edited by gap; 05-25-12 at 02:59 PM.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-12, 02:41 PM   #135
Masterchen
Seaman

Downloads: 111

thank you gap it works but there is still a ugly backround in it if you could do the same with the png so that i have a transparant backround it would be awsome and thanks very much for the work you allready did

Greatings

Masterchen is offline   Reply With Quote