SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-12-15, 05:07 PM   #106
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Yep von Ryans express is pretty good though I think the book had a much better ending than the movie.

I just picked up this book the other day

Not too bad so far....

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-15, 04:47 PM   #107
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Default Escape To Victory

Saw this for the first time only last year.
Eichhörnchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-15, 08:54 PM   #108
Kptlt. Neuerburg
Admiral

Downloads: 54

I just finished reading Escape From Davao: The Forgotten Story of the Most Daring Prison Break of the Pacific War, By John D. Lukacs, which I had gotten for Christmas. It is a truly amazing book to read covering everything from the tensions before the outbreak of war between the United States and Japan, though the Battles of Bataan and Corregidor, the horrors of the Bataan Death March, to the camps which the POWs where placed in afterwards, the conditions of the camps. Everything was put down in minute detail. These twelve prisoners who escaped from the Davao Penal Colony on the Philippine island of Mindanao, to tell the world what was happening to their comrades in these camps only to be told by their own government that they couldn't say anything to anyone about what they had seen. One of the men, Major William Edwin "Ed" Dyess (USAAF) wrote this at the start of his report to the War Department, " I had tried to put into words some of the things that I have experienced and observed during these past months, but I fail to find words adequate to an accurate portrayal. If any American could sit down and conjure before his mind the most diabolical of nightmares, he might perhaps come close to it, but none who have not gone though it could possibly have any idea of the tortures and the horror that these men are going though." Maj. William Dyess, August 16, 1943. After reading this book, his words are far more then adequate.
Old 01-14-15, 09:41 PM   #109
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kptlt. Hellmut Neuerburg View Post
I just finished reading Escape From Davao: The Forgotten Story of the Most Daring Prison Break of the Pacific War, By John D. Lukacs, which I had gotten for Christmas. It is a truly amazing book to read covering everything from the tensions before the outbreak of war between the United States and Japan, though the Battles of Bataan and Corregidor, the horrors of the Bataan Death March, to the camps which the POWs where placed in afterwards, the conditions of the camps. Everything was put down in minute detail. These twelve prisoners who escaped from the Davao Penal Colony on the Philippine island of Mindanao, to tell the world what was happening to their comrades in these camps only to be told by their own government that they couldn't say anything to anyone about what they had seen. One of the men, Major William Edwin "Ed" Dyess (USAAF) wrote this at the start of his report to the War Department, " I had tried to put into words some of the things that I have experienced and observed during these past months, but I fail to find words adequate to an accurate portrayal. If any American could sit down and conjure before his mind the most diabolical of nightmares, he might perhaps come close to it, but none who have not gone though it could possibly have any idea of the tortures and the horror that these men are going though." Maj. William Dyess, August 16, 1943. After reading this book, his words are far more then adequate.
Interesting. I have a book written by one of his fellow escapees Steve Mellnik. called Philippine Diary 1939-1945.

Old 01-17-15, 05:47 AM   #110
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

While it was difficult and dangerous enough for escapees in the ETO to get back to the UK in WWII, how on earth did these Pacific escapers get home? I'd be interested in just one example of a route taken by an individual (mustn't spoil it for anyone planning to read these books).
Old 01-17-15, 10:48 AM   #111
Kptlt. Neuerburg
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhornchen View Post
While it was difficult and dangerous enough for escapees in the ETO to get back to the UK in WWII, how on earth did these Pacific escapers get home? I'd be interested in just one example of a route taken by an individual (mustn't spoil it for anyone planning to read these books).
Most of it was done either on foot or by some form of boat and later by submarine. Although unlike POWs escaping from camps located across Europe the escapees from the Davao Penal Colony (or Dapecol for short) the first stage of their route was used by all the escapees. The other stages for those who where cleared to evacuate was as follows: from Nasipit to El Salvador by sea-going banca (a larger version of the typical canoe used in the Philippines), overland from El Salvador to Iligan, banca from Iligan to Misamis City, overland and by boat from Misamis City to Naga Naga. In total the entire escape route covered somewhere around I'd say 470 miles or more by land, river and sea, (although this is a rough estimate based on the route that I could find using Google Earth so it is probably in the ballpark.)
Old 01-17-15, 05:42 PM   #112
August
Wayfaring Stranger

You want an example of a route then I recommend The War Journal of Major Damon "Rocky" Gause.

These guys sailed this all the way from the Philippines to Australia

This guy not only fought through the fall of Bataan and Corregidor then escaped from the Japanese and sailed this thing to Australia but he then went to Europe and flew fighters against the Germans.

His book is an excellent read.

Old 01-18-15, 07:26 AM   #113
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

^ First I've heard and will certainly look it up

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-15, 10:38 AM   #114
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Default "The Last Escape"

Just found this today in a second-hand shop, August:

ISBN 0-670-91094-5 published by Penguin/Viking 2002

(These authors collaborated more recently on the similar book, already mentioned, "Home Run" ISBN 978-0-670-91603-0, same publisher)
Old 02-25-15, 12:18 PM   #115
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Just found this today in a second-hand shop, August:

ISBN 0-670-91094-5 published by Penguin/Viking 2002

(These authors collaborated more recently on the similar book, already mentioned, "Home Run" ISBN 978-0-670-91603-0, same publisher)
Thanks for the heads up! Please let me know what you think of the book.

Old 02-25-15, 05:50 PM   #116
Kptlt. Neuerburg
Admiral

I just finished reading an oldie but a goodie. It's called Escape or Die Authentic Stories of the RAF Escaping Society by Paul Brickhill (same author as The Great Escape). It has seven stories in all and take place in both different parts of the world and different operational theaters. It is worth reading if you can find a copy of it, mine came from the library of the Auburn University at Montgomery.
Old 02-25-15, 07:57 PM   #117
August
Wayfaring Stranger

This is a great thread.

Old 02-26-15, 05:28 AM   #118
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

"Zere vill be no ezgape from ziss thread..."
Old 02-28-15, 10:11 AM   #119
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

The origins of "Big X":
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...03&postcount=1
care of our own Von Tonner
Old 02-28-15, 12:49 PM   #120
Von Tonner
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 44

Quote:
The origins of "Big X":
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...03&postcount=1
care of our own Von Tonner
I find it heart warming that atrocities as happened to the 50 escapees who were executed did not go unpunished. It says a tremendous amount for who we are.

"Big X" was first shot by a "Dr Spann, a senior Gestapo officer, who failed to kill him. Spann then ordered Emil Schulz, a minor civilian official, to shoot Bushell again, which he did reluctantly. Spann was later killed in an Allied air raid, but Emil Schulz was captured, tried for the murder of Bushell, found guilty and executed."

"Knowledge is like a lion:it cannot be gently embraced"
- South African proverb
Von Tonner is offline   Reply With Quote