SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5 > Silent Hunter Online
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-31-13, 10:13 AM   #1
Kapitan_Phillips
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 203
Uploads: 0
Default An outsider(ish) take on STO

Hi, I'm Kapitan_Phillips. You may remember me from such films as "Dude, Where's My Tardis?" and "My Big Fat Sontaran Wedding" - I've been browsing Subsim on and off somewhat lately, and can't really figure out the immense amount of hate this new Silent Hunter Online lark is getting. Here are a few positives I have gleaned from the videos/information I've seen and what I think it could mean:
  1. Minimal System Requirements
    It appears to me that unless you're still running a Commodore 64, you'll be able to login and play the game with others. This, to me, is a great thing. Fantastic graphics are great, but to those with lower end computers, running SH5 is a pipedream. SHO will allow a greater number of this community to join up in a game together, which is kind of what it's all about, right? Sure, it's not going to be GWX, and it's not going to be Dangerous Waters 2, but I think alot of people are pissing all over it way too early. It's going to be free to play, so there's no real financial investment - I can understand people getting miffed after forking out £40-50 on Silent Hunter 5, only to have it be about as stable as a farting rhino on a tightrope. My advice is to at least give it a go before making a decision.
  2. Dynamic Campaign
    This sort of ties in to my point about this community being able to get involved in multiplayer a little more. Subsim could have it's own Wolfpack, we could have RP boards if people wanted them, and we could see interaction from members we don't usually hear from. (Plus we'd get a chance to sabotage Neal) - and the main thing is, the stuff we do will matter to the flow of the game.
  3. Other things (That I assume)
    I'm assuming that SHO will eventually have mobile capability, meaning you can check in with your boat at work, at school or on the commode. Making it a fun distraction that'd be readily available when your nan starts talking about 18th century carpets or something. I don't usually go in for mobile gaming, but hell, it's U-Boats. When I'm not playing as one, I'm reading about them anyway - might aswell make myself useful!

Finally, SHO may just spark a renewed interest in the OTHER Silent Hunter games, and subsims in general. A fair few friends of mine want to give the SH series a try, but feel the learning curve is too steep, or they don't have the patience for it. SHO could act as a good introduction to the submarine world we love so much, and new players could go from SHO, to installing GWX, to playing SH5, etc. etc.

Anyway, rant over, just thought I'd give my two cents on the situation - I'm sure I've missed something, like the T&C clause that got leaked meaning we could only play if we surrendered our firstborn daughters to EA, but hey, I'm just going to sit here, give it a go, and if I don't like it, fair enough, but if I do, I'll see you all on the Atlantic.

P.S. To prevent you all from arguing, here is Karen Gillan.

KP