SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-21-11, 09:41 AM   #586
Gryffon300
Engineer

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0
Default Crew Management SH3 vis-a-vis Commander

Hi, mates.
Just a further little tweak-type question for crew mangement.

I am happy with the better flexibility and options within 'Commander' (particularly for assigning multiple qualifications).

However, I am curious as to how people handle the new crew in a new profile, or new campaign. There are always 5 or 6 crew slots empty (1 officer, a few each pettys & sailors). Do you run first cruise with existing crew or use SH3's barracks (and spend some renown) to fill the empty slots? Or do you do it on later cruises. Is it possible/desirable to increase crew level from within Commander?

Thanks.
Gryffon300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 09:46 AM   #587
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryffon300 View Post
Hi, mates.

I am happy with the better flexibility and options within 'Commander' (particularly for assigning multiple qualifications).

However, I am curious as to how people handle the new crew in a new profile, or new campaign. There are always 5 or 6 crew slots empty (1 officer, a few each pettys & sailors). Do you run first cruise with existing crew or use SH3's barracks (and spend some renown) to fill the empty slots? Or do you do it on later cruises. Is it possible/desirable to increase crew level from within Commander?

Thanks.
I use to complete the slots in barracks, with - if it´s possible - "0" value crewmen. I don´t spend renown, and I have a complete crew. Ever I need fresh crewmen in torpedo rooms, for the recharge of fishes. With fatigue in torps rooms, the recharge is toooooo sloooowww.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 10:05 AM   #588
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Quote:
Hi, mates.

Thanks.
Since my first patrol is usually a short shakedown cruise, I run it with just the crew I got handed when I started the career.

After that I will add crew to fill out my roster as needed. Typically I add as many as the game will allow from the in-game "barracks" and unless I'm really in need of someone with a particular qualification (and there's a qualified officer or NCO available) I don't spend renown on adding crew. You can always get a cadet, junior PO, or Matrosengefreiter for 0 renown. Early on I figure I've got time for the n00bs to gain experience on my boat instead of paying extra for the experience they got elsewhere.

If you dismiss a crewman in Commander it will give you the option to replace him from within Commander as well, and IME it always costs some renown, but AFAIK there's no way to add extra crew except from the crew mgmt screen in the game.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 12:41 PM   #589
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I go straight to the Barracks Screen and fill all the slots. Always '0' level crew and officers. I never dismiss crew. If Commander removes one I replace him in the Barracks Screen, unless he's killed while ashore, in which case I roll a die to determine when it happened. It may be that it happened the night before we sailed, in which case all I know is that he missed ship's movement and we're one short.
Old 01-21-11, 04:11 PM   #590
Gryffon300
Engineer

Fantastic, mates - pretty much the way I was begginning tio see things myself - just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing the bleedin' obvious (has been known to happen.)

BTW, Steve, glad your Tom Petty choice isn't, "Don't COme 'Round Here No More"!!
Old 01-21-11, 10:20 PM   #591
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
BTW, Steve, glad your Tom Petty choice isn't, "Don't COme 'Round Here No More"!!

My monthly quotes are mostly things that apply to my moral and political stance, which can mostly be summed up by a line from one of my own songs: "I may be right and I may be wrong, but the same is true for you. I know I don't know anything, but I think you only think you do."
Old 01-22-11, 10:34 AM   #592
Gryffon300
Engineer

Damn you all to a deep blue hell!!

If you clowns at BdU think I'm going to roll over and meekly submit to a Board of Enquiry and Court Marshall for following orders to the letter, you've got another think coming!

What happened, you ask? Konigsberg happened! Oh, you heard about it? Well, how could you not! Yes, that was me and I'm sure I'll never live it down! BUT IT WASN'T MY FAULT!!

OK, OK, I'll settle down and tell you. I was assigned a new crew and nice VIIB with Flot Wegener. Now, our command briefing did mention malfunctions as a possibility, but Naval Intelligence (Hah!) was firm that the likelihood of sabotage was all but non-existent.

The order packet required that we stay in the confines of the bay and sink the target ships, carry out a shake-down and, curiously, "avoid any damage" - didn't think much of that at the time, but oh!, how the author of that little gem must have been wetting himself at the time! Evil bastard.

It was, as you may expect, a shooting in a barrel of some ducks. I did notice that they looked strangely good for target hulks, but ours not to question why. But then, I noticed something even stranger. Running on the surface back toward the throat of the bay, I encountered two british ships coming out. When they were in visible range of my watch crew, they went into radical evasive manoeuvres - zig-zag, reversing course etc. It was good training for my Navi to track them accurately on the map, but it left an odd feeling in the pit of my stomach.

As we had a couple of hours to run up to dock, in perfect weather with good visibility, I allowed my Exec to take the con for the run into dock. It was his first time at the Con, fresh out of sub school, and he is very young. Oh, and one other thing, it is with pride that I tell you, he is my son. I went below to fill out our mission report and have a quiet Apfel Schnapps (which I do after every successful mission), when I felt a great BANG! and things went flying!

The crew was yelling that we were taking damage (bloody obvious!); and I smashed my head on the overhead trying to get out of my bunk area & into control. I'm screaming for the COB to tell me what the hell is going on. He doesn't know, so I take a quick look at the map on my way topside. We are not near land, no warships or planes around to attack us, and I order Nav to give me a sounding ping in case we are in shallows. Plenty depth.

I skin my knuckles trying to levitate up the ladder to ask the XO what the hell is going on. He doesn't know either, but it seems that we ARE under attack! But from where?!! WHY?! WHO?!?? So, I order periscope depth and ahead flank. In the second or two it took to head back down the hatch, I noticed a barrel flash from a shore battery pill box! In Konigs-bloody-berg Harbour! Firing at ME!

Well, no time to think about that - had to get more crew onto damage control. Once at depth, came to all stop, as we were about to bottom out, and spent the next 15 minutes catching my breath and getting things back under control. Damage control estimated we had lost over 10% hull integrity.

So, what to do? We were being targeted as hostile by those idiots manning the shore batteries. I decided to continue to within 500 m of dock submerged (partly as we concluded that the shore batteries couldn't arc more than about 90deg, so the dock area would be out of range).

All went well until we commenced surfacing, when we came under fire AGAIN! Don't know who by (probably those monkeys on the artillery barges wanting to get in on the fun), didn't have time to find out, but knew the only thing we could do was blow ballast to get fully surfaced and escape to the dock. We managed this without further substantial damage or, more importantly, loss of life or injury to my crew.

Speaking of which, I will not see my crew censored in any way. Only their exemplary reaction times; refusal to panic in the face of inexplicable terror on what should have been a pleasant afternoon cruise; and sticking to their tasks, saved the boat.

So, clearly these orders were BOGUS. The so-called target ships were operating merchants! No wonder WE were targeted. This was no 'malfunction' nor accident, but deliberate sabotage coming right from the heart of BdU!

The schweinhund that cut those orders better hope those new SS guys that I've seen around catch up with him first, because I've got a deck-load full of machinist's mates, a Sergeant-at-Arms, a COB and a new XO that all want to use their shore leave to go to HQ and hunt the bastard down. Using him as a cleaning swab for #3 tube has been suggested. I would in no way object.

So, you can see why I say I will NOT go belly-up for a negative finding from a Board of Enquiry, apportioning blame to us just to cover some lard-ass's backside at HQ who let this spy (probably named Jones, or something) into the very heart of the KM! And you can tell that to all your colleagues at BdU up to, and including, the Vice Admiral for all I care - I'll take you all on! I've got friends in high places too, you know.
Old 01-28-11, 06:26 PM   #593
BogdaNz
Loader

Downloads: 105

So i have a problem .i instaled i went into patrol from commander ,i finished and when i went to see what ship i sunk and what was the cargo there was nothing.only the type of the ship.
do i miss something,should i import or do something ? help
URL=http://img824.imageshack.us/i/11232131231.png/][/URL]
Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 01-29-11, 07:50 AM   #594
CherryHarbey
Engineer

Downloads: 86

you need to update your personel file first (from the drop down of options bottom left of your screen)
CherryHarbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-11, 07:54 AM   #595
BogdaNz
Loader

Downloads: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryHarbey View Post
you need to update your personel file first (from the drop down of options bottom left of your screen)
this work.thank you
Old 01-29-11, 09:15 AM   #596
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

When in doubt, the SH3Cmdr User Guide is your friend.
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-11, 03:47 PM   #597
Mustang01
Watch

Downloads: 25
Default Incredible Experience

Gentlemen,
I'm new to the forum and subsims in general, as a friend of mine recommended I get into SH3/GWX 3 since I've been a life-long WWII buff. I don't consider myself to be a "gamer", so I was a little apprehensive at first. All I can now do is express my gratitude for all of those who contributed to the GWX project since I was totally blown away by the depth and feel of the game. In my view, this is an "achievement" in every sense of the word, much more than a “game”, bravo. I can't imagine the man-hours that went into creating and updating these mods but I just wanted you to know how thankful we "non-techies" are that folks like you are out there who share our passion for living history. I paid a visit to the wreck of the U-352 last summer and had family in the US Merchant Marine during WWII, so coupled with my half-German heritage and the fact that the "U-Who" was discovered in what I consider to be my backyard, I feel a personal connection to the Battle Of The Atlantic and the GWX team has built an inspiring tribute to the men from both sides. It's reassuring to see digital technology used for such a noble goal when there are so many negative examples of mindless pop-culture to disappoint. Again, simply amazing work. I'm now trying to get Commander 3.2 to run to liven things up. I've built some "external tools" to aid in manual targeting (KM attack disk and my own long-range torpedo attack range finding tool to work with the nav map and yes, red light bulb for my desk). I've even got my 70 year-old uncle hooked since we used to watch re-runs of “Victory At Sea” together when I was young. I hope to draw on the expertise I see on this board for future questions and wouldn't mind assisting in historical research for future projects if necessary. Thanks again!
Sean
Mustang01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-11, 07:49 PM   #598
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScones View Post
When in doubt, the SH3Cmdr User Guide is your friend.
Rgr that

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-11, 04:22 AM   #599
Robin40
Chief

Downloads: 162

I sank about 40.000 tons of neutral vessels

SH3Commander credits them to me in the UBoat Aces list

It sounds a bit wrong imho
Robin40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-11, 12:08 PM   #600
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Commander only reports what the game says you sank, so if you're getting credit for sinking neutral tonnage, it's SH3 that's doing it and not Commander.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sh3 commander