SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-11-11, 10:43 AM   #556
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Considering your (fictional counterpart's) connection to the inestimable Balz, I'm surprised that bothers you.
Oh, please... like I have space for a silly marching band. It was hard enough just finding room for the manicurist, hairdresser, ladies' maid, and Chippendales dancers.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-11, 12:05 PM   #557
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

And inquiring minds really want to know...where does she keep the tank?

[edit] See you got your shiny new badge. Congrats.

Last edited by Sailor Steve; 01-11-11 at 12:41 PM.
Sailor Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-11, 03:08 PM   #558
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
And inquiring minds really want to know...where does she keep the tank?
Oh, I leave that on shore. I have a spot reserved in the Long Term Parking section of Rommie's Panzer Bonanza Valet au Lait Kaffee & Kream-Der-Tommies Emporium.

Aaaaaand now I have a question about Ship Names, which you may or may not be able to answer, but here goes:

Remember how I was playing around with making an alternate version of the .cfg file to avoid having enemy ships I sank prior to Dec 10 1941 turn up in my logs with obviously American names?

I'm wondering if it's possible to keep names in the file from being used by Commander just by putting a ';' in front of the line where they appear, instead of removing them completely and revamping the file (which is a lot of hassle if I want to preserve the numbering/alphabetic order in each section, which makes it much easier to work with overall).

So f'rinstance if I see a class of merchant vessels with several names in it, like so:

0001 SS Jimbuna
0002 SS Tarjak
0003 SS Sailor Steve
0004 SS JScones
0005 SS Neal Stevens
0006 SS Arclight

and determined that 0003 and 0005 are US ships and would not have been valid targets, and thus sunk by me, prior to Dec 10 1941... could I change it to

0001 SS Jimbuna
0002 SS Tarjak
;0003 SS Sailor Steve
0004 SS JScones
;0005 SS Neal Stevens
0006 SS Arclight

to remove the two American names from the usable mix? Would Commander just ignore them when it populates the logs, or would taking out a 'number' in the middle of a group cause a problem? I've assumed that Commander pulls the names randomly from each group, then again the numbers must mean something or they wouldn't be there.
Old 01-11-11, 09:41 PM   #559
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

I honestly don't know. It's my understanding that if a name is misnumbered then it and all names following will never appear, but I don't know for sure and I don't know whether if true it would affect your idea.

The only way to actually control it properly would be to have separate American files in the Sea folder for each class, which would double the number of in-game ships, which would in turn greatly increase the already massive loading times, and almost certainly crash lesser systems. This is what IABL did for the Merchant Fleet mod, and why my computer won't run it.

SH4 is actually reworked so you can have ship classes apply to any nation without creating a new folder. Unfortunately SH4 also doesn't do Ship Names.
Old 01-11-11, 10:02 PM   #560
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
I honestly don't know. It's my understanding that if a name is misnumbered then it and all names following will never appear, but I don't know for sure and I don't know whether if true it would affect your idea.

The only way to actually control it properly would be to have separate American files in the Sea folder for each class, which would double the number of in-game ships, which would in turn greatly increase the already massive loading times, and almost certainly crash lesser systems. This is what IABL did for the Merchant Fleet mod, and why my computer won't run it.
Yeah, I was concerned the numbers meant something.

But I assume keeping them in alphabetical order doesn't matter? I figured that was something you did to make it easier to work with the file as you updated it.

If that's the case I can still rearrange the names to fill in the numbered slots where I'm taking a US name out without having to redo all the numbers every time.
Old 01-12-11, 08:22 PM   #561
Paulski
A-ganger

Downloads: 47

When I click "update your personell file" i get an error message saying: "Invalid argument to date encode".

Does anyone know this problem?
Paulski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 08:44 PM   #562
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulski View Post
When I click "update your personell file" i get an error message saying: "Invalid argument to date encode".

Does anyone know this problem?
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...5&postcount=73

Old 01-13-11, 07:08 AM   #563
Paulski
A-ganger

Downloads: 47

Thanks Weird that I couldn't find it by typing the error message in the search bar

Still seems strange though, since I'm in my third patrol, and haven't upgraded my u-boat yet. But I could update it after my first patrol. Oh well, sh** happens
Paulski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-11, 12:26 PM   #564
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
Yeah, I was concerned the numbers meant something.

But I assume keeping them in alphabetical order doesn't matter? I figured that was something you did to make it easier to work with the file as you updated it.

If that's the case I can still rearrange the names to fill in the numbered slots where I'm taking a US name out without having to redo all the numbers every time.
Yep. The order of the names makes no difference, as long as the numbers are correct. I keep them alphabetical, as you say, to make it easier to know what's where. Actually, I do it because it's yet another obsessive/compulsive fixation of mine. I can't stand to see them be wrong.
Old 01-13-11, 12:56 PM   #565
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Yep. The order of the names makes no difference, as long as the numbers are correct. I keep them alphabetical, as you say, to make it easier to know what's where. Actually, I do it because it's yet another obsessive/compulsive fixation of mine. I can't stand to see them be wrong.

You should see me trying to remove American names from my attempt at creating a pre-Dec41 version, then.

I cut the name. Then I'm left with a numbered slot with no name, and the choice of either redoing the numbers for every line below it OR pasting a name from the bottom of the list into that slot... and gritting my teeth because they're no longer in alphabetical order.
Old 01-13-11, 01:30 PM   #566
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Now you know what I go through with ever single name I add. I have to renumber that entire section. If it's one where I know I'm going to have a lot of names (like M35B) I wait until I'm done with the whole group I'm adding before renumbering, but with smaller ones I add them and number them one at a time.

I wish there was some way to tell it to renumber everything, but so far I haven't found one.
Old 01-13-11, 01:41 PM   #567
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Now you know what I go through with ever single name I add. I have to renumber that entire section. If it's one where I know I'm going to have a lot of names (like M35B) I wait until I'm done with the whole group I'm adding before renumbering, but with smaller ones I add them and number them one at a time.

I wish there was some way to tell it to renumber everything, but so far I haven't found one.
I dunno, maybe if the file was compiled and updated in a different program somehow and then once you had the updated list the text could be copied and pasted into a .txt file.

I don't suppose MS Access would generate anything along the required lines if a database was set up that could be added to and resorted without so much grunt work... I've got it now at home since I upgraded my Office software, but I haven't played with it yet. I built some of the databases I use at work but that was back in the Stone Age on Access 97.
Old 01-13-11, 02:22 PM   #568
Stargazer
A-ganger

Downloads: 32

The two links supplied in the opening post are both broken. I have found a link to a file hosted on Filefront (or somewhere similar) that says if I run the installer it won't install Commander, it'll just do this or that and change something.

The OP says that if the instructions don't make sense then this mod isn't for me. Give me a chance. I'm still learning the SH3 file structure and I think this IS for me.

Can you peeps help me get this sorted out. I had wanted to just come home and get in the sim but I don;t particularly want to waste my time if I'm going to have to do it all differently and start over because I've changed the way the career is being generated.

All assistance is appreciated.

Rob.
Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-11, 02:57 PM   #569
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Try these links:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=2923 (download from Subsim)

or

ftp://maikhaas.dyndns.org/Volume_1/S...AESEN%20JONES/ (you want the SH3Cmdr32.exe file from the list there)

VERY IMPORTANT! => If you are playing GWX3 you will also need the config files for Commander+GWX3. They can be found here:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1421

Run that one after you've installed both GWX3 and Commander, it will add the files to Commander that you need to run them both together.
Old 01-13-11, 10:09 PM   #570
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
VERY IMPORTANT! => If you are playing GWX3 you will also need the config files for Commander+GWX3.

Sorry, just laughing at myself. I've reinstalled SH3 and GWX dozens of times, and I just realized I've never reinstalled the Cfg files in question. After wondering if I was hurting myself somehow, I just realized that that particular file is in Commander, and of course uninstalling and reinstalling SH3 doesn't touch the Commmander folder.

Tags
sh3 commander