SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-10-10, 04:08 PM   #451
slipper
Navy Dude

Downloads: 385
Uploads: 0

Oops! sorry

regards

slipper
slipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-10, 04:11 PM   #452
pickinthebanjo
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 282

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipper View Post
Oops! sorry

regards

slipper
no worries, I know I've done it on some Computer build forums

SH3 Deeper Torpedo Launch / Realistic Crush Depth Mod Here -
http://www.filefront.com/user/pickinthebanjo
pickinthebanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-10, 04:13 PM   #453
pickinthebanjo
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 282

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna View Post
Bloody plagiarism a calls it

There must be a royalty fee heading your way now

Suffice it to say that I have dodged enough of those

SH3 Deeper Torpedo Launch / Realistic Crush Depth Mod Here -
http://www.filefront.com/user/pickinthebanjo
pickinthebanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-10, 03:02 PM   #454
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickinthebanjo View Post

Suffice it to say that I have dodged enough of those
SINK EM ALL!!

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-10, 02:25 AM   #455
CherryHarbey
Engineer

Downloads: 86

First up SH3 Commander is great, thanks JScones!

Is there a limit to the number of extra folders that can be added to the Random folder in SH3 Commander?
I know the human brain is almost hard wired into seeing patterns in random events, but it does seem to me like I keep getting the same selections repeated rather than the full range, hence the question, is it just selecting from the first x folders??
CherryHarbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-10, 02:35 AM   #456
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryHarbey View Post
Is there a limit to the number of extra folders that can be added to the Random folder in SH3 Commander?
Nup, no limit. Go wild!
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-10, 03:13 AM   #457
CherryHarbey
Engineer

Downloads: 86

thanks for the quick response and thanks again foe the excellent mod.
CherryHarbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-10, 02:24 AM   #458
Tessa
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 22

Hello Jasun!

It's been awhile after starting to play again as you once mentioned, "you're bound and determined to break SHC". The mods I was trying to add at the time (additional ranks) were causing that effect I hope you understood that's never been my intention.

When I downloaded GWX3 and the new SHC I noticed that anytime (and is still doing it, so have had to uninstall for the time being) is that anytime I make any mods to the basic.cfg or en.menu files that when I launch the game via SHC it nukes any additional settings I've added or changed. Tried using the static setting file but same consequence, all changes get nuked. This includes all the additional ranks that we were worked on awhile back, I've added them and run GWX solo and they work fine, start via SHC and they're gone

Does SHC re-write those two files from its own cache or does it just add/modify the existing file without changing other values? I really love the new cargo addition to the ship and name description and would like to start using it again but with all the mods I've made all my work goes down the drain. Is it possible to run SHC without using any options (so no changes are made to those two files above mentioned files) so that it just runs more like an extended logbook? Thanks for any help that you might be able to provide

Sarah
Tessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-10, 03:28 AM   #459
P_Funk
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 128

So I've encountered a real problem with SH3 commander that I've never had.

I didn't play SH3 for a long time, decided to play again, installed it, GWX, SH3 Commander, while using the steam version (which I never used beforehand) and created a new career. Well that captain died tonight and I decided to start a new one, just in time for Drumbeat. So Dec of 41, a type IX with the number 130.

When I went to create the new career, while the name I chose was created in the SH3 careers directory, none of the other data that SH3Cmdr creates was there. Instead of Dec of 41 I ended up in April, and instead of a IXC I had a IXB with a different number. This seems to be an issue with the steam version since I have searched this thread and a couple hits involved players who use the steam version having the same issue as me.

What I find to be peculiar is that the first time through everything seemed to work just fine, all my details were created, but now its suddenly stopped with me having done nothing to the game files since then.

I'm not sure if there's anyone who has a solution for me. I may just have to go find my long lost hard copy of SH3.

P_Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-10, 06:40 PM   #460
Pebble Monkey
Watch

Downloads: 14

Wow the surprises just mount up. Such a great tool.

Started SHIII Commander for my second patrol tonight, and as I hit load i got the following:

TRANSFERS OUT:
Stabsbootsman Herbet Goldbeck - Killed in a bar fight
Matrosenobergefreiter Erich Heisig - Killed by local partisans

I have a feeling that I have a crew of troublemakers here
Pebble Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-10, 06:48 PM   #461
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pebble Monkey View Post

Started SHIII Commander for my second patrol tonight, and as I hit load i got the following:

TRANSFERS OUT:

Oh well, it's a shame about Heisig. But as far as Goldbeck goes... do you really want the guy who loses his bar fights?
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-10, 07:26 PM   #462
JScones
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessa View Post
Does SHC re-write those two files from its own cache
No. However if you make changes to your game files while SH3Cmdr changes are still in place, then your changes will be blown away when SH3Cmdr "reverts to clean state" (ie rollback), that is, back to how the game was before it (not you) changed the files.

Quote:
or does it just add/modify the existing file without changing other values?
Yes.

And on a related note I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH THAT SH3CMDR DOES NOT MODIFY THE RANKS THAT ARE ALREADY EXISTING IN THE GAME! (that's usually where this question leads)

In case that is not clear to anyone, SH3Cmdr does NOT modify strings 160 to 174 in **_menu.txt in any way.

From the ever helpful User Guide:
Quote:
I want to start my career at a rank higher than Leutnant (rank bump). Will SH3 Commander allow me?
SH3 Commander reads whatever ranks are in SH3. However, when creating a Commander’s pre-SH3 history, SH3 Commander assumes the starting rank will be as SH3 originally set it. It needs to do this for maximum compatibility. Thus, any “rank bumping", that is, changing your starting rank to anything higher than the SH3 default, will create gaps between your pre-SH3 history and your SH3 career. This will be evident only if you generate Personnel Files, where you will notice missing promotions. You can alleviate this somewhat by adjusting the pre-SH3 rank labels in SH3Cmdr_*.txt, or simply ensuring that you always start careers at the default rank of Leutnant.
I do not provide support for those who wish to rank bump. If you choose to apply an approach other than the generally accepted "shake down cruise -> promotion to ObLt", you're on your own. I have to draw the line somewhere to ensure maximum compatibility with the majority of players.

Quote:
Is it possible to run SHC without using any options (so no changes are made to those two files above mentioned files) so that it just runs more like an extended logbook? Thanks for any help that you might be able to provide
If you don't want any of its functionality, just don't use it to load SH3. Just load it after patrols and use it to edit your patrol log and generate your updated personnel file.

Alternatively, just make sure you apply your file changes to a clean state installation of SH3 (ie sans SH3Cmdr changes), OR apply your file changes to SH3Cmdr's "Static settings.cfg" file. That way SH3Cmdr will ALWAYS apply them to your game, regardless.

Last edited by JScones; 08-28-10 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-28-10, 07:37 PM   #463
JScones
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Funk View Post
So I've encountered a real problem with SH3 commander that I've never had.

I didn't play SH3 for a long time, decided to play again, installed it, GWX, SH3 Commander, while using the steam version (which I never used beforehand) and created a new career. Well that captain died tonight and I decided to start a new one, just in time for Drumbeat. So Dec of 41, a type IX with the number 130.

When I went to create the new career, while the name I chose was created in the SH3 careers directory, none of the other data that SH3Cmdr creates was there. Instead of Dec of 41 I ended up in April, and instead of a IXC I had a IXB with a different number. This seems to be an issue with the steam version since I have searched this thread and a couple hits involved players who use the steam version having the same issue as me.

What I find to be peculiar is that the first time through everything seemed to work just fine, all my details were created, but now its suddenly stopped with me having done nothing to the game files since then.

I'm not sure if there's anyone who has a solution for me. I may just have to go find my long lost hard copy of SH3.
I don't use steam myself, but if you are running Vista or Win7 and installing the steam version to the default location, then unless you escalate permissions for both SH3Cmdr and the game (and JSGME if you use it), you'll have the problem you describe.

Easiest solution is just to install SH3 outside of the Program Files folder. Instructions are in various related threads.

If, however, you are using XP, then I have no idea.
Old 08-28-10, 07:41 PM   #464
JScones
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pebble Monkey View Post

TRANSFERS OUT:

No transfers in? Gee, BdU were pretty mean to you...
Old 08-29-10, 07:46 AM   #465
Pebble Monkey
Watch

Downloads: 14

Yeah, I had to send the pressgang out I suspect someone else will run SHIICommander and get the message

TRANSFERS OUT
Person A and Person B stolen by another kaleun whilst drinking in the dockside bars of Wili

TBH Frau, I have no idea if I wanted to keep the guy that lost the bar fight, This happened after my first war patrol, I had no idea if he was going to be any good at his job
Pebble Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sh3 commander