SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-22-16, 12:13 PM   #286
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnmike View Post
To Rockin Robbins and all you other Captn's working on this project, I for one am waiting patiently for the FOTRS ULTIMATE to be released because I think FOTRS 1.3 is my favorite MOD of them all for (SH4 v1.5)!!
Good Hunting
captnmike :-)
I'm also looking forward to this mod, captmike. But, as Rockin Robbins has mentioned we've along way to go to get things sorted out to where we want this mod to be.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-16, 12:17 PM   #287
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTBilly View Post
Oh, come on!! What's that copy-paste thing I read from such a talent as yourself?
I've had ENORMOUS fun playing (some hundreds) of your single missions in SHCE. Much greater fun than the actual campaign indeed!

I managed to correct my error by "scientific level modding", (copy-paste). I believe that the German language mission orders, messages etc. are hiding under the thermal layer somewhere in the campaign folder. Perhaps a late-war Allied sonar set will help us find them. RR, CaptScurvy?

I'm in no position to suggest a solution on this. A complete \DATA backup saved me from trial & error (mostly error) attempts many times. Highly recommended for "scientific level modding".

Thanks, Billy. But I think you give me too much credit. Working the ME is quite different than working with the game files at least in my opinion. But as I mentioned when we started this project I am willing to learn. Even if I am an old dog.

Old 06-22-16, 01:18 PM   #288
XTBilly
Officer

Downloads: 157
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
Thanks, Billy. But I think you give me too much credit. Working the ME is quite different than working with the game files at least in my opinion. But as I mentioned when we started this project I am willing to learn. Even if I am an old dog.
You deserve the credit Commander. You've made a great game greater. It's the result that counts, not the way it's done. An old sea dog can learn new tricks, despite what our English friends say, that's where experience hits the door. A little slower perhaps, the result of several years of depth charging , but still in the front line.

This project is very important to me, I'm also committed on it. I'm ready to sail into unknown waters, with or without help. That's another old dog speaking...

I'll check the campaign tonight and see if I can find anything.

Billy.
XTBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-16, 02:49 PM   #289
XTBilly
Officer

I found where the campaign missions are in German language.

These files are located in:

\DATA\CAMPAIGNS\CAMPAIGN\DynamicMiss
\DATA\CAMPAIGNS\CAMPAIGN\PatrolObjectives

Each of the sub-folders contains a .MIS & a .TSR file. The .TSR files can be opened with WordPad. In there is the mission description and message. In German. They can be easily converted to English. The \PatrolObjectives folder has A LOT of missions...

Since I have only basic knowledge of the German language (ALAAAAARM!!!! Torpedo treffe!!), I used Google translator. The results were not pretty. While the mission basics make sense, there are unknown words that don't make sense on Google. Maybe a German speaker could help with these... And a native English speaker to confirm MY translation..

Bleiente, kann Ihnen helfen, bitte ?
Old 06-22-16, 03:17 PM   #290
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTBilly View Post
I found where the campaign missions are in German language.

These files are located in:

Each of the sub-folders contains a .MIS & a .TSR file. The .TSR files can be opened with WordPad. In there is the mission description and message. In German. They can be easily converted to English. The \PatrolObjectives folder has A LOT of missions...

Since I have only basic knowledge of the German language (ALAAAAARM!!!! Torpedo treffe!!), I used Google translator. The results were not pretty. While the mission basics make sense, there are unknown words that don't make sense on Google. Maybe a German speaker could help with these... And a native English speaker to confirm MY translation..

Bleiente, kann Ihnen helfen, bitte ?

I'll look into this tonight after I get home from work. I agree we'll probably need someone who understands the German language as Google translator is not very literal.

This old dog out.

Old 06-22-16, 07:47 PM   #291
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

I believe these will be found to be (hopefully) the same missions we find in v1.3 only in German. If we take the 1.3 missions and replace the German missions we should be fine! No translations necessary, just cut and paste. I may be able to handle that because the way I made Ultimate was a copy of 1.3 and a consolidated changes mod that I melded into 1.3. Changing the 2.0 Import Mod will automatically change Ultimate!

So we take the 2.0 Import Mod, remove the German language stuff, plug the remainder into 1.3 and we have English language Ultimate!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-16, 08:22 PM   #292
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
I believe these will be found to be (hopefully) the same missions we find in v1.3 only in German. If we take the 1.3 missions and replace the German missions we should be fine! No translations necessary, just cut and paste. I may be able to handle that because the way I made Ultimate was a copy of 1.3 and a consolidated changes mod that I melded into 1.3. Changing the 2.0 Import Mod will automatically change Ultimate!

So we take the 2.0 Import Mod, remove the German language stuff, plug the remainder into 1.3 and we have English language Ultimate!

I was thinking along those same lines. Will give it a try in a few moments.

Old 06-22-16, 10:18 PM   #293
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Your idea was right on, boss. A little copy+paste (see, Billy. I told you I was pretty good) and we're speaking the same language again.

1. Reaching patrol area (Patrol Orders)

2. Mission Objectives

3. Mission Title screen

Some of the interior screens are still in German. If I knew where to find these particular files were they would have been corrected also.

Old 06-23-16, 01:44 AM   #294
XTBilly
Officer

Yeah!! We hit her!! We.... Oops!!

Good job Commander! Good job!

You can copy the \DATA\UPCDATA\UPCLocalization folder from 1.3 to Ultimate, to restore the sub interior screens to English. That worked for me. This old dog out.

RR, you saved us a lot of work. Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best. Good thinking boss!
Old 06-23-16, 05:49 AM   #295
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Ok, let me in on this....Why are you porting over these files from FOTRS v2.0 to FOTRS v1.3, .......then going back to the v1.3 files?

I thought we just needed to port over the ships and their Campaign files from v2.0 into v1.3? A few others like the sounds and maybe the particular gun files that go with the specific ships from 2.0, but pretty much leave the rest behind.

After all, its the v1.3 that's playing within SH v1.5 isn't it?

The first thing I noticed about playing FOTRS 2.0 is the German language set up. So, why are we porting over these files?

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-16, 06:49 AM   #296
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

The German language was the motorcycle following the 18-wheeler truck that sneaked through the ro*******. The way I produced Ultimate was to join a FOTRS 2.0 Import collection mod with 1.3. By merely taking the German language stuff that snuck in out of the Import Collection and rejoining the two we'll be back to English.

It's all about non-destructive modding where you can retrace your steps and fix little big boo-boos like this one (and perhaps others). I'll meld these together tonight and upload the v.03 Ultimate. Cdsubron, that was the \Missions directory we need to retain from 1.3?
Old 06-23-16, 07:40 AM   #297
XTBilly
Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
Ok, let me in on this....Why are you porting over these files from FOTRS v2.0 to FOTRS v1.3, .......then going back to the v1.3 files?

I thought we just needed to port over the ships and their Campaign files from v2.0 into v1.3? A few others like the sounds and maybe the particular gun files that go with the specific ships from 2.0, but pretty much leave the rest behind.

After all, its the v1.3 that's playing within SH v1.5 isn't it?

The first thing I noticed about playing FOTRS 2.0 is the German language set up. So, why are we porting over these files?
Hi captain,

the ship damage model I'm working on, is ruining my nerves sometimes. I have to get away from it from time to time to gather my thoughts in order to continue.
At one of those "away from SDM" times, I started "playing" with the mod files hoping of porting v2.0 graphics. It did work, but the German language is one of the side effects of my only a couple of months modding experience.

I'm the one to blame, I apologize again for wasting the team's time with my mistake.

Regards,
Billy.
Old 06-23-16, 08:14 AM   #298
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
Cdsubron, that was the \Missions directory we need to retain from 1.3?
Don't quite follow you, RR. Please forgive my ignorance.

Old 06-23-16, 11:56 AM   #299
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
Don't quite follow you, RR. Please forgive my ignorance.
Where did those english language missions come from in the directory structure?
Old 06-23-16, 12:10 PM   #300
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Where did those english language missions come from in the directory structure?