SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-21-09, 01:31 PM   #1
CVeezy23
Watch

Downloads: 384
Uploads: 0
RFB or TMO?

Hey everyone, I was wondering what is better, RFB or TMO? What do you guys suggest and why?

Thanks!
CVeezy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-09, 09:16 AM   #2
captgeo
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 105

I suggest to you that you read the threads to both and make up youre own opinion on what suit's youre personel taste. As far as U-Boats go I will suggest Op Monsun.
Old 07-22-09, 11:35 AM   #3
DarkFish
Sea Lord

Downloads: 28

both mods make the game more realistic and challenging, RFB with an emphasis on historical realism while TMO makes the game much harder.
So if you're a realism freak (like me) go for RFB.
If you want a challenging game, go for TMO.

I also recommend RSRDC (for the US side) and Ops Monsun (for the German side) as these mods completely redo the campaigns, making them historically correct.

DarkFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-09, 11:57 AM   #4
PL_Andrev
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 91

Test it. Everyone is differenet and like something other...
Someone like SH4 as shooter, other like 200% real with 90% dud torpedoes of all. What is your preference? Which level of game do you use?

PL_Andrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-09, 06:51 AM   #5
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

I would argue that RFB is no more realistic than TMO. For instance, in RFB you will never see an enemy airplane. That's not realistic. There are plenty of examples in both of things that are not strictly realistic.

The way I see it the difference between the two is in how they achieve a better game balance than stock. RFB achieves balance by nerfing the submarine, making it much more vulnerable on the surface, nerfing the deck gun and AA guns, forcing you to use the submarine the way a submarine is supposed to operate: by stealth. A submarine is not a submersible battlecruiser! I LOVE the HUD controls and stop watch in RFB!

The TMO solution is to leave the submarine hard-shelled, but to ramp up the enemy capabilities. Note that lately Ducimus has had a soft heart and wussed out on many of his previous difficulty adjustments. He's introduced SCAF, so now you have perfect knowledge of every enemy ship on the ocean. He's nerfed enemy AI so it's much easier to attack and evade than it used to be. Personally I like the former difficulty and will continue to use TMO 1.5 Sharp Teeth!

Both mods work together in their Lab of Doom and Pepsi Cola over at http://forum.kickinbak.com/index.php. Very often a good idea from one of them ends up in the other, like the animated control room fans, or Ducimus' evil airplanes (the greatest idea ever introduced in any mod).

They're both great. I've just resumed my TMO career after a year of playing and testing RFB. I find neither to be more "realistic" than the other. They both have strengths and weaknesses. Right now I tend more toward TMO 1.5.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-09, 06:58 AM   #6
captgeo
Samurai Navy

BS on the "you will not see enemy aircraft" in RFB, man get a grip, I play it while there are not many, they do pop up from time to time. At least they do not bomb you at a depth greater the 150' and sink you, as in TMO.
Old 07-26-09, 07:00 AM   #7
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

In a year of playing RFB I haven't seen five planes. I saw five in the last hour of playing TMO 1.5. I never thought I'd thank God for being attacked by a plane. My plane avoidance drill was so rusty I had to think about it carefully. That's when I realized that I had been missing a vital part of submarine simulation with RFB.

Let's throw a monkey wrench in here! FOTRS is the Pacific equivalent of GWX, decent gameplay with gobs of eyecandy! The targets are so beautiful you'll hate to have to shoot them. Based on an older rendition of TMO with great graphics work added. Has by far the best intro movie in any mod! I call it equal to RFB and TMO.

Hey, why's this thread not in the normal Wolves of the Pacific forum? Nobody's talking about U-Boats here...
Old 07-26-09, 07:09 AM   #8
captgeo
Samurai Navy

This is at least 3 threads and maybe on different fourms that you spout off about the lack of aircraft in RFB, so thats why I finally have had to say something about it, ...I have some great SS's of Jap search craft trying to bomb my sub out from under me, so I really think you just have a burr up youre rear and are airring it in public. I will admit though that there could be a few more aircraft, but then I play the MOD and enjoy the work that went into it, not slam it at every chance given.
Old 07-28-09, 07:53 AM   #9
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

I'm not slamming it. I play it all the time and work with the team on testing and planning all the time. Heck, I'm a moderator on their website. I wrote part of the RFB manual. You?

Once over at Kickinbak (RFB forum) I had Lurker tweaked enough about the lack of air attacks that he cooked up a special version for me. It was NOT a pretty sight as I was swarmed beyond belief by bloodthirsty evil Ducimus planes that could see to 400'. I didn't live long....:rotfl:

I'm surprised that rare version of RSRD never escaped into the wild!

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 07-28-09 at 08:05 AM.
Old 07-28-09, 01:46 PM   #10
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

@ CVezzy23 There both Great mods. Why not do a Multi install.

Then you have both to play.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-09, 02:18 PM   #11
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Whatever you do, don't try Fall of the Rising Sun. Then you'll need three installs!
Old 07-28-09, 02:57 PM   #12
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

You'll also need another install for.... GWX4 :rotfl:

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-09, 07:13 AM   #13
TDK1044
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVeezy23 View Post
Hey everyone, I was wondering what is better, RFB or TMO? What do you guys suggest and why?

Thanks!

Both great mods. RFB gives you reality. TMO gives you a balance of more realism with a little entertainment thrown in.
TDK1044 is offline   Reply With Quote