SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-24-11, 01:28 PM   #1
Patchman123
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 226
Uploads: 2
Default [REQ] Coordination between Submarines

How about instituting a system in single player where you can radio other submarines in Silent Hunter IV to form Wolfpacks against convoys? I sure hate having to attack convoys alone. I am one submarine against the whole Japanese navy it feels like. I feel like I am taking on the Japanese Navy alone instead of having some real help, if you know what I mean.

I am wondering why I don't near reports about subs sinking other Japanese ships and it is possible within the engine of Silent Hunter IV to radio instructions to other submarines through the radio.

All we do is just modify the dials features and add more submarines and tweak the engine slightly.

Can we have coordinated attacks and report to other subs, hear SOS messages? Why don't other subs report that they have sunken some ships?
Why can't I use the Enigma machine in the German sub?
Why does the submariner in the radar tower operate a non-existant radar system and spin the wheel?

I have many questions about SH4. Why don't I see the enlisted men in the torpedo rooms? Why is there a freakish green spot when I click on the forward torpedo compartment? This freakish green screen.

How about MORE coordination between subs? I feel like Rambo on a submarine taking on the whole Japanese fleet and rambos are usually among the first to be killed in combat because of their recklessness.

I feel that taking on the whole Japanese navy is suicide. We could have a reload animation where a shell is shoved into the breach to simulate a deck gun. That would be cool.
Patchman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-11, 02:13 PM   #2
BillBam
Watch Officer

Downloads: 171
Uploads: 0

Based on what I have read in sub books such as "Clear the Bridge" American subs never used the radio to talk with other boats. It was always done face to face based on prearranged times and locations. Radio traffic would be a dead give away to the Japs as to the location and number of boats in a particular area.

Another way they communicated was using their radar to alert other US boats of their presence, especially when approaching a convoy or as a direction finder.
Old 04-24-11, 02:49 PM   #3
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

I am pretty sure that higher command would set up packs of 3 sometimes more boats having the highest ranking CO being the pack commander and they did contact each other because they would split up a patrol area to get better coverage and then report the convoy to the other boats who would be with in 100 or nms or so of the other boats.

So they did have to use radio comms or some form of long range comms it was a risk obviously but they did it seen it mentioned in several books they sent highly brief highly coded messages they cant possibly have worked together with out having some way of letting the others know a convoy was spotted.It has been a while but I recall in one of the books it mentioned that they sent brief coded reports as to the lot action of a convoy or an order to meet somewhere and discuss strategies in detail.

Last edited by Stealhead; 04-24-11 at 03:06 PM.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-11, 11:42 PM   #4
Mescator
Soundman

Downloads: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchman123 View Post
All we do is just modify the dials features and add more submarines and tweak the engine slightly.
Unfortunately once a engine is compiled, it becomes VERY Difficulty to modify at all. Tweaking the engine slightly is a nice thought, but without the source code your limited to engine hacks, which don't really offer enough functionality to do what you want.
Mescator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-11, 03:32 PM   #5
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Stealhead is right. There were small 'wolfpacks' used late war, but coordination was rather limited. There was nothing like the German practice of large packs communicating with constant radio chatter. It seemed to be more a matter of coordinated search than coordinated attack. (There was reluctance about possibly being hit by friendly torpedos.) From what I've read, it's debatable how effective they were.

As far as simuating this in the game, I imagine this would be very difficult. As it is, the AI subs cannot even dive or fire a torpedo. We will most likely have to wait for Ubisoft to come out with SH6 for something like this.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
subs, uboats