SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-20-11, 05:37 AM   #16
nikbear
Sea Lord

Downloads: 86
Uploads: 0

The fan is behaving itself,ramps up on start then quickly quieten's down,thankfully Thank you to everyone for their help
Old 01-20-11, 05:39 AM   #17
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Glad to have you working. My next suggestion was to swap your GTX260 for my GTS250... Still could if you have ANY doubts about your card!
Old 01-20-11, 05:52 AM   #18
Feuer Frei!
Navy Seal

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 17

Another happy Subsim customer

LINK TO MY SH 3 MODS
Feuer Frei! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-11, 06:32 AM   #19
nikbear
Sea Lord

I spoke to soon,its just cut out on me seems to run for 20 mins or so then wham,shuts down
Heat problem?? I know these 200 series cards run hot,but its in a Coolermaster HAF932 Shouldn't really be getting that toasty should it
Old 01-20-11, 07:21 AM   #20
Jan Kyster
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 152

nVidea...

I mean... please have a look in your windows logbook. There is most certainly an entry where you can see the cause of the shutdown.

If it's heat related, you really should let the system stay off for at least 15 minutes. Shutdowns occurs at around 115 degree Celcius...

It also may cause the thermal grease to go hard as concrete, so better keep an eye on temp in the future.

Fans are cheap btw.
Add an extra for output and a couple for inlet is recommended... as is watercooling...
Jan Kyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-11, 04:02 AM   #21
nikbear
Sea Lord

Well Im back from travelling and its time to repair the damage,Im thinking its a driver problem,though not sure,still staying on for 10 mins the BSD
Can't even get it to stay on in safe mode
Can't get to a restore point because for some reason the accessories tab in the start menu is missing
Whatever has caused this has really made a mess of my windows install
Really don't know what to do for the best really
Old 01-24-11, 04:35 AM   #22
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

Apart from the missing tab, is there anything else missing or graphical glitched in windows?

what you could try is in the 10 minute window is to get rid of the driver (windows control panel add/remove software) and boot up the PC without grahpics driver and have it turned on for a bit and check if everything is alright in windows, when you still get a BSOD or weird glitches I would say your Windows installation is messed and a reinstallation of windows would be needed.

If not and you think windows is Ok you might want to try a different graphics driver version and see if it works and/or rerun that everything Hardware wise is Ok.

When the problem still isn't resolved....I would say bring it to someone you know or a PC repair shop or something to have it looked after.

good luck,
HunterICX
Old 01-24-11, 04:59 AM   #23
nikbear
Sea Lord

I was thinking of doing just that actually,totally removing any Nvidia drivers and seeing if I could keep XP stable,if not would the repair feature on the XP disc work,never tried it before
Old 01-24-11, 06:07 AM   #24
jumpy
Admiral

Downloads: 22

Repeat after me.... windows mantra... format and reinstall...format and reinstall...format and reinstall.

You can try the xp 'repair' option on the install disk, but don't get your hopes up (it has never worked for me).

Do you have OEM XP disk, or a 'Retail boxed' version? I only ask as the OEM lacks certain formatting capabilities, like preparing a new and totally blank drive: it's why the OEM disk cost about 100 quid and the retail boxed version (of XP) runs to several hundred.... at least when I bought my copy of XP pro.

Beware! if you 'remove all of your nvidia drivers' be careful that your mobo is not an nvidia chipset too, otherwise when you uninstall then reboot, you'll have some 'unable to locate disc' error. Bit of a schoolboy error, but I've done just that in the past... the driver said nvidia, so I removed it, not knowing that it was the motherboard drivers when what I should have removed was the display drivers haha

If you do format the thing and reinstall windows from scratch, make sure the install works first before trying to install the new gfx card. Might help isolate the trouble. And as said, try a different display driver than the one you tried before.
Out of interest, have you added an after-market cooler to your GFX card? Like you can do with CPU coolers?

It really helps to have more than one hdd so you can separate your OS from your data/files/backups etc. Makes a format and reinstall sooooo much easier and faster.

when you’ve been so long in the desert, any water, no matter how brackish, looks like life

jumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-11, 07:23 PM   #25
Jan Kyster
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikbear View Post
I was thinking of doing just that actually,totally removing any Nvidia drivers and seeing if I could keep XP stable,if not would the repair feature on the XP disc work,never tried it before
Did you find the reason for system shutdown in your Windows logs?

If it was heat related, then your thermal paste may indeed be ruined... and hence continue to cause shutdowns, since it's unable to divert heat away from gpu anymore...

But from the sound of it, you may have more issues...
Jan Kyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-11, 08:05 AM   #26
nikbear
Sea Lord

Ive finally managed to get the puter up and running,and stable,but using the old card and an older set of drivers
Seems that the newest set just don't like my setup,just going to try and run the new card with these old drivers and see if that works
Old 01-25-11, 03:23 PM   #27
nikbear
Sea Lord

Yep,touch wood,its working fine,was the 'New' drivers that screwed my system up
Thanks for everyone's help