SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-16-18, 03:42 PM   #1
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360
Uploads: 0

Default Guitar virtuoso, country music Artist and Hee Haw Co-host artist Roy Clark has passed

Country music Roy Clark has passed away at the age of 85 from complications of pneumonia at home in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

Quote: Clark was "Hee Haw" host or co-host for its entire 24-year run, with Buck Owens his best known co-host. Started in 1969, the show featured the top stars in country music, including Loretta Lynn, Tammy Wynette, Charley Pride, Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Dolly Parton, as well as other musical greats including Ray Charles, Chet Atkins and Boots Randolph.

The country music and comedy show's last episode aired in 1993, though reruns continued for a few years thereafter. "'Hee Haw' won't go away. It brings a smile to too many faces," he said in 2004, when the show was distributed on VHS and DVD for the first time.

"I've known him for 60 years and he was a fine musician and entertainer," Charlie Daniels tweeted on Thursday. "Rest In peace Buddy, you will be remembered."

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...172216484.html

Roy Clark could play anything with strings and do it better than most. Roy was a virtuoso in a class with other great guitarists like Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed and Glen Campbell, just to name a few. Sadly, these men are all gone. When you think of great guitarists and musicians, these people and others were the real deal.

Rest in Peace Roy and thanks not only for the great music but showing us how it's done.

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 11-16-18 at 04:04 PM.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-18, 03:56 PM   #2
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Bless you Roy where ever you are now RIP
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-18, 04:28 PM   #3
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

R.I.P. Roy.

Incredible musician.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-18, 10:57 PM   #4
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

He was also a licensed pilot and dedicated sport-flying enthusiast who sometimes participated in stunt contests. Sometime in the late '70s he was performing in Salt Lake City and went to an air show in Provo. I was lucky enough to be there with my wife. He didn't fly, and I didn't get to meet him, but I did get to witness one of his best comedy bits.

For those who don't know, when a stunt pilot does his or her thing the announcer describes each maneuver in careful detail so everyone can understand what's going on. The regular announcer at this show introduced Clark and said he, as a knowledgeable stunt pilot himself, would explain the stunts performed by the next pilot to go up. Putting on his best deadpan face and "regular guy" style he started saying things like "Well, now he's headed toward me. Uh, now he's going the other way..."

It was simple and effective , and had the crowd in stitches. As a guitarist myself I always admired his style, but that day was one I'll always remember.

Here he is with another great, both of them good enough to give way to the other in his turn.
Old 11-17-18, 06:07 AM   #5
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Even as a Brit I remember him from my younger days.

RIP Roy

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-18, 08:08 AM   #6
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Supposedly, in an interview, Mr. Clark confessed that the only thing with strings he could not play were his shoes.
Old 11-17-18, 02:19 PM   #7
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

In the second clip, Roy is playing Malagueña, a Spanish guitar classic usually fingerpicked in a hybrid Spanish Classical/Flamenco style of playing. I recall seeing Roy interviewed long ago on a daytime talk show and before he played the number, he explained he could not do the fingerpicked version be cause he lacked the skill (an astonishing admission) and he also explained he had not tried to play the number on TV because he was not really all that confident he could pull it off; he was sweating like crazy as he played and, when he finished, there was a great expression of joy and relief on his face. Roy could outplay a finger picker with his picking any day of the week and twice on Sundays. He may not have been able to do the rapid-fire sort of 'banjo-roll' arpeggios of the Spanish masters, but they couldn't pick as precisely and rapidly as Roy could with a flatpick...

The one thing about Roy was hs obvious joy and happiness in playing and the way he could transmit that to his audience...

Thanks, Roy, for the pickin' n' the grinnin', RIP...

<O>