SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-16-07, 07:55 AM   #16
klh
Ensign

Downloads: 200
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmie
Is the rec book mentioned new one? I remember someone made printable rec book about a couple of months after the release of SH3. What ships are included in it?
No, it came out not too long after SH3 was released. It does not have all the new units in it that have come out since, but it works for me because I'm still playing mostly stock SH3. You could always print out some extra pages and insert them - realistic too since the Kriegsmarine would be making updates as the war went on.

Quote:
BTW, I excavated this thread: http://www.subsim.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=46693 in my SH3 folder (I seem to saved don1reed's what_is_track.jpg which seems to be missing now, it's a table of AOB and distance)
Thanks for that. It is useful for calculating your best speed to intercept within torpedo range.
klh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-08, 07:50 AM   #17
Puster Bill
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by klh
Quote:
YES!! Thank you VERY much! I will try this in the game to digest well!

I think you should include this somewhat "advanced" (?) example in the already well-written tutorial to make it yet better!
By the way Jimmie, either formula will work for convergent or divergent courses. Because the sine function is symmetrical around 90 degrees, we don't really have to subtract the angles from 180. It's just easier for me to visualize, and the attack disc calculator only goes up to 90 degrees.
One of the neat things about the American version (SACF/IS-WAS) is that the wheel with the Sine scale on it had 4 of them to cover the entire compass:

006 to 090 degrees
096 to 180 degrees
186 to 270 degrees
276 to 360 degrees.

You don't have to do any conversions in your head or on paper. You just read them off the wheel. That helps quite a bit when using it to find the AOB of a ship that is greater than 90 degrees.
Old 01-10-08, 08:17 AM   #18
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 34

I have three things to say here:

You want a whiz wheel to hand work out range? - try the very thing available in the U-jagd tools mod or the OLC-GUI which incorporates said tools.

Secondly, the U-jagd tools 1.3, which will be released soon, includes a 3 wheel circular slide rule. I chose to model it on the American one for the reason that Puster Bill mentions.

Thirdly, klh, are you by any chance near completing the updated manual that you mentioned to me you were planning to do? I would like, if I may, to include your manual with the U-jagd 1.3 download. Alternatively, I'll just link to it.

Joe
"Enemy submarines are to be called U-Boats. The term submarine is to be reserved for Allied under water vessels. U-Boats are those dastardly villains who sink our ships, while submarines are those gallant and noble craft which sink theirs." Winston Churchill
joegrundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-08, 08:34 AM   #19
jimmie
Lieutenant

Mine is this: http://www.antiquark.com/sliderule/s...lide-rule.html

Well, not virtual, real one. Yes, since its S scale is 6 - 90, I need to perform simple subtraction for anything beyond 90 but that won't hurt much; it's maybe alternative to "Brain Age" on Nintendo DS :p And knot - km conversion is simple... the most fundamental usage of sliderule is multiplication and division, anyway
jimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-08, 08:04 PM   #20
Puster Bill
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Mine is this: http://www.antiquark.com/sliderule/s...lide-rule.html

Well, not virtual, real one. Yes, since its S scale is 6 - 90, I need to perform simple subtraction for anything beyond 90 but that won't hurt much; it's maybe alternative to "Brain Age" on Nintendo DS :p And knot - km conversion is simple... the most fundamental usage of sliderule is multiplication and division, anyway
I'd love an N600. I had to settle for an N200 Trig (because the prices for an N600 on Ebay are ridiculous!). It's the same size as the N600, but it doesn't have all the scales. On the back side it has the C, D, S, T, and ST scales, which are the only ones you really need. Well, the S, ST (for small bearing changes less than 6 degrees), and the C and D.
Old 01-10-08, 10:24 PM   #21
jimmie
Lieutenant

Just in case you want one,

I got mine at: http://www.houseofsliderulers.com/ for about $30... the one I got from them came with the original box (aged) and very good manual which is old too (seemed printed in some 50s) but the sliderule and the leather case is almost new - I think it is indeed new...

Upon the order placement I didn't get any confirmation email etc from them but they responced my inquiry in a manner and got the thing in a week or two. Not bad for a new famous rule
jimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-08, 11:42 AM   #22
klh
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegrundman
Thirdly, klh, are you by any chance near completing the updated manual that you mentioned to me you were planning to do? I would like, if I may, to include your manual with the U-jagd 1.3 download. Alternatively, I'll just link to it.

Joe
Joe,

I am almost finished with my update. I corrected the issues you noted, as well as adding a few more uses (such as calculating distance to track, and best speed for a firing solution). I hope to get it done this weekend, and you are welcome to include or link, whichever you choose.
Old 01-11-08, 01:04 PM   #23
ejhawk56
Seaman

Default Thanks

Thanks klh for the great manual you provided for this fine tool provided by the U-jagd team (thanks Joe,hitman and olc). I learn much quicker with visual examples so your manual is perfect. I love fooling around with these kind of tools and it is the reason I have a renewed interest in SH3.

Looking forward to the new version of the manual...I think I noticed a couple of small mistakes in example 2 part 4(disc B instead of A) and part 5 (80 to Starboard).Either that I was doing it wrong...maybe the things Joe already brought up to you.

What I would love to see is some workbook type problems at the end of the manual(with the correct answers provided to make sure I have it right before I leave port!) Not sure if this would be alot of work on your part.

Again,thanks for a great reference. Gives me something to study when I spend QUALITY time with my wife away from the computer.

Eric
ejhawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-08, 02:18 PM   #24
klh
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejhawk56
I think I noticed a couple of small mistakes in example 2 part 4(disc B instead of A) and part 5 (80 to Starboard). Either that I was doing it wrong...maybe the things Joe already brought up to you.
Thanks Eric. You were doing it right. Those items are corrected in version 2.

Quote:
What I would love to see is some workbook type problems at the end of the manual(with the correct answers provided to make sure I have it right before I leave port!) Not sure if this would be alot of work on your part.
That's an interesting idea. I don't know if I'll have time to do that this weekend, but if not, then maybe later.

Quote:
Gives me something to study when I spend QUALITY time with my wife away from the computer.
Not to give out advice, but I have found that my wife usually appreciates it more if I spend the quality time WITH her - heart, soul, AND mind.
Old 01-11-08, 06:04 PM   #25
ejhawk56
Seaman

[quote=ejhawk56]What I would love to see is some workbook type problems at the end of the manual(with the correct answers provided to make sure I have it right before I leave port!) Not sure if this would be alot of work on your part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by klh
That's an interesting idea. I don't know if I'll have time to do that this weekend, but if not, then maybe later.
That would be great if you decide to do it. Take your time....I hope I'm not the only geek that would find it useful to work through the problems.:hmm:

[quote=ejhawk56]Gives me something to study when I spend QUALITY time with my wife away from the computer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by klh
Not to give out advice, but I have found that my wife usually appreciates it more if I spend the quality time WITH her - heart, soul, AND mind.
Yes, great advice and fortunately I was being a bit tounge-in-cheek. I must admit that I did bring your manual with me when we went on vacation last week.She was ok with this though because she is an avid reader and enjoys having me as her reading buddy during the evening hours. My Uboat book collection has grown substantially in the past few years...quite an addictive hobby.

Eric

Last edited by ejhawk56; 01-11-08 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-11-08, 06:29 PM   #26
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

ejhawk56, WELCOME ABOARD!
Old 01-12-08, 07:53 AM   #27
ejhawk56
Seaman

Thanks for the welcome Sailor Steve
Old 01-12-08, 08:34 AM   #28
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 34

hey ejhawk56 welcome to subsim, and I'm glad you like the U-jagd tools. I'm putting the finishing touches to 1.3 and it includes some significant improvements

Thanks a lot klh, that would be great if it's done by this weekend. I'm hoping to release 1.3 early next week, monday or tuesday, and it would be great if i could either link or include your guide.

joe
"Enemy submarines are to be called U-Boats. The term submarine is to be reserved for Allied under water vessels. U-Boats are those dastardly villains who sink our ships, while submarines are those gallant and noble craft which sink theirs." Winston Churchill
joegrundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-08, 10:18 AM   #29
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome aboard Kaleun ejhawk56

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-08, 10:59 AM   #30
Puster Bill
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Just in case you want one,

I got mine at: http://www.houseofsliderulers.com/ for about $30... the one I got from them came with the original box (aged) and very good manual which is old too (seemed printed in some 50s) but the sliderule and the leather case is almost new - I think it is indeed new...

Upon the order placement I didn't get any confirmation email etc from them but they responced my inquiry in a manner and got the thing in a week or two. Not bad for a new famous rule
That's not too bad. Maybe I'll put a bug in my wife's ear about it.

Although, since I have one that is roughly the same size and has all the stuff I need on it, I may just decide to get one of Pickett's circular rules.

By the way, you can make your own, if you want. Just go to http://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/build.html

The circular ones are the easiest to build.

Last edited by Puster Bill; 01-12-08 at 01:00 PM.
Puster Bill is offline   Reply With Quote