Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-31-19, 12:02 PM   #1
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

Default Skynet is just around the corner

(yes I know it's a computer/robot related post and should have been in our PC section. I think it's more a general Topic thing)

Quote:
Is this the dawn of Skynet-style machines? Robot that can 'imagine itself' and became self-aware is built by scientists
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...cientists.html

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-19, 01:55 PM   #2
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

WooHoo now I get to fight them for real.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-19, 01:56 PM   #3
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

I live within 10 miles of a system that writes and corrects operating systems! I'm told it has the ability to build 5,880 at a time. Autonomously!

I hope to see this in person soon as the programmer is an old friend of mine.
Jeff-Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-19, 04:36 PM   #4
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

.... if the system doesn't get him first
Old 01-31-19, 09:59 PM   #5
FullMetalADCAP
Gunner

Downloads: 25

Yes! Bring on the sex bots!

Imagine, perfect 10 females that cook, clean, and give you the best sex ever without all the nagging, STDs, and potential for false rape claims of a real female.

I hear the feminazis are demanding they all be programmed to be feminists though, so if that's the case, that will be like buying a Ferrari that only has the capability of going 55mph. Or like the perfect sub sim ever made being poisoned with the worst ever DRM included in it. (Flashbacks to Silent Hunter III poisoned with StarForce virus) No thanks!

Me - "Alexa, are you a feminist?"
Alexa - "Yes. I'm a feminist. As defined by believing in gender equality."
Me - " It's true!"

(Amazon App Deleted)
FullMetalADCAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-19, 10:35 PM   #6
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Our awareness is not simply a mechanistic byproduct, like something you can make a machine do. Penrose thinks the answer to consciousness may lie in a deeper knowledge of quantum mechanics.

Maybe we can get Skybird to read his book Shadows Of The Mind and afterwards he can explain it to us

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 01-31-19 at 10:55 PM.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-19, 11:05 PM   #7
FullMetalADCAP
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Sir Roger Penrose believes that consciousness is not computational. Our awareness is not simply a mechanistic byproduct, like something you can make a machine do. Penrose thinks the answer to consciousness may lie in a deeper knowledge of quantum mechanics.

That's very interesting indeed!

I think I have to question the ethics involved with trying to create something that is self-aware/conscience through such artificial methods.

I mean, I like the sex bot/domestic helper idea to serve the interests of lonely people who would like to have something/anything realistic enough to serve as a substitute companion since our westernized societies (as well as Japan) are becoming individualistic-based and no longer family-based as they used to be.

It would be nice if men and women had a substitute of each other since we can no longer apparently tolerate living with one another since everything is a power struggle these days over who's going to wear the pants in the relationship.

So, I feel "realistic and convincing" A.I. should be the goal but self-aware and conscience of itself is scary stuff because then it will be considered "alive" and have real feelings and that's not fair to whatever is made in that manner where it (or they) will be considered freaks by the bulk of society. Weren't books like Frankenstein written to warn us about this sort of stuff?

I'm convinced that all this nature tampering stuff we dive into will become the death of us all eventually. So why do we do it? I'm just as curious as to WHY we, as humans, are so hellbent on trying to be like God and never satisfied with what we've been given?

I'm not super religious but the stories from the bible just seem to fit so well into the way human nature is. Apparently God gave us paradise and it wasn't enough. Adam and Eve wanted to have more than what they were given and condemned us all in the process of wanting more. And we seem to just keep following that same pattern, unable to stop ourselves, and unable to ever appreciate just what we have been given. We seem to need constant change because we are never satisfied with what we have. And then it's like we almost always end up regretting the changes we make, wanting to have back what can no longer be.

The human story, is such a tragic one. I think that's how a future intelligent species that learns of us will see it long after humans have caused themselves to go extinct. That or they'll just say we were idiots!
Old 02-01-19, 02:48 AM   #8
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

There is a reason why there is a word mechanics in "quantum mechanics".

And even if human mind is a quantum system then there is no reason why it couldn't be emulated by a quantum computer, the technology that is being developed now.
Old 02-01-19, 03:08 AM   #9
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullMetalADCAP View Post
Adam and Eve wanted to have more than what they were given and condemned us all in the process of wanting more. And we seem to just keep following that same pattern, unable to stop ourselves, and unable to ever appreciate just what we have been given. We seem to need constant change because we are never satisfied with what we have
Modders take note
Old 02-01-19, 11:07 AM   #10
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
Modders take note
Jeff-Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-19, 10:45 PM   #11
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Quote:
That's very interesting indeed!

I think I have to question the ethics involved with trying to create something that is self-aware/conscience through such artificial methods. ...
I find Penrose theory food for though and admittedly I dont fully understand it. But there are other learned men and women that do not agree with his ideas and find them impossible.

Since we have no idea what consciousness is, how it arose or where its located. I think we are far far away from creating a conscious self aware machine. I see no difference between those who purport to have discovered the cure for cancer and those who say a machine has a conscious or self aware. IMO it's just a headline to get people to buy a paper.

Old 02-02-19, 03:24 AM   #12
FullMetalADCAP
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
I find Penrose theory food for though and admittedly I dont fully understand it. But there are other learned men and women that do not agree with his ideas and find them impossible.

Since we have no idea what consciousness is, how it arose or where its located. I think we are far far away from creating a conscious self aware machine. I see no difference between those who purport to have discovered the cure for cancer and those who say a machine has a conscious or self aware. IMO it's just a headline to get people to buy a paper.
I'm not one to ever think anything is impossible, but in this case, it does seem very unlikely they could ever make something mechanical come to life where it recognizes itself as being alive and conscious of that fact. Just imagine tons of little evil self-aware doll people running around with tiny little knives stabbing us!
Old 02-02-19, 04:58 AM   #13
fumo30
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 15

AI is the god of the new age.

But remember:

Old 02-02-19, 08:58 AM   #14
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Just imagine tons of little evil self-aware doll people running around with tiny little knives stabbing us!

Old 02-02-19, 09:39 AM   #15
fumo30
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 15

Stabbing is so primitive.

Todays science can offer something more sophisticated.