SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-13-08, 12:02 PM   #106
Sag75
XO

Downloads: 45
Uploads: 0

DDs seemed slow to me because were in a 4kts running convoy. So, they modified their speed to 6kts but no more.. probably because of ships presence. Than I saved the game.. so I need more time to monitor their behaviour.

The battle with single DD was good, I mean, she pointed at me, speeding up from 25kts to 30kts. At ca 3000m she dropped to 12kts in 1,5min. Than I summerged and followed the DD using periscope. She started pinging me, passing by the stern at 10kts, than I launched a torpedo.........

I think the mod is (almost) fully GWX compatible, we may need to modify the point 3 in the first page..

Betasom - XI Gruppo Sommergibili Atlantici
http://www.betasom.it/forum/index.php

Last edited by Sag75; 11-13-08 at 12:04 PM.
Sag75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-08, 06:47 PM   #107
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Downloads: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by asanovic7
English are .. well they are as they are :rotfl:
But I saw in movies they have a great saying for occasions like this, though poetic they may seem..

Bollocks..

p.s. I can picture pt with a bird, on some beach flushing his poetic onslaught and watching runways?
I'm not sure what do you mean... :hmm:
Old 11-13-08, 06:49 PM   #108
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaeger
Hi PT, your mod doesnt seem to be compatible to stock sh3. i deleted all unused ships in your folder, but i get an error when entering the mission. i have some small mods enabled, nothing concerning ships. my os is vista, any ideas?
Can you take a screenshot of your mods and the error please?
Old 11-13-08, 06:52 PM   #109
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sag75
DDs seemed slow to me because were in a 4kts running convoy. So, they modified their speed to 6kts but no more.. probably because of ships presence. Than I saved the game.. so I need more time to monitor their behaviour.

The battle with single DD was good, I mean, she pointed at me, speeding up from 25kts to 30kts. At ca 3000m she dropped to 12kts in 1,5min. Than I summerged and followed the DD using periscope. She started pinging me, passing by the stern at 10kts, than I launched a torpedo.........

I think the mod is (almost) fully GWX compatible, we may need to modify the point 3 in the first page..
What I said about GWX's compatibility stands correct.
I just said that, in clear english, this mod MIGHT screw up some waypoints on some occasions, due to the longer time ships take to maneuver around.
But I also said that this is easy to fix. I just need to know what ships to fix, the work around to fix each of those ships to working waypoints is less then 5 minutes.
Old 11-13-08, 08:57 PM   #110
Sag75
XO

Hi PT, that's ok, it was just a my opinion,

here some considerations:

Flower Corvette:
she run over me at 11kts. Then began a turn (full rudder) and her speed dropped at 5-6kts (too slow?:hmm. When she toke the straight run, the speed arised at 12kts (from 6kts) in 2 minutes: it sounds good . Maybe the turn radius seems too large for this kind ship, almost 300m :hmm:. She can drop the speed from 12kts to 5kts in 1minute. When she rammed me, she ordered back course (looking her propeller), but she wasn't able to invert the run suddently, so it's in agree with RL .

Town class DD:
She can turn at 10kts and the speed drops from 30kts to 12kts in 1,5minutes. The turn radius seems okay..

Old 11-14-08, 05:45 AM   #111
Jaeger
Chief

Downloads: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp_Thomsen
Quote:
Hi PT, your mod doesnt seem to be compatible to stock sh3. i deleted all unused ships in your folder, but i get an error when entering the mission. i have some small mods enabled, nothing concerning ships. my os is vista, any ideas?
Can you take a screenshot of your mods and the error please?
there is no error, there is a CTD. can anyone try this mod in stock sh3, please?

Last edited by Jaeger; 11-14-08 at 05:51 AM.
Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-08, 11:10 AM   #112
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Mikhayl is correct.

This mod was intended to be used with gwx 2.1 and also community ships.

You can try downloading the community ships and see if it works.

But if GWX changed ANY ship's id, you'll get a CTD with this mod.

Have problems with gwx? Don't like it?

The only thing I can do is to teach you how to change the files yourself.

That way you can continue without gwx and have the ships mod.

How many ships you see in your sea folder? Icebergs and buoys don't count.
Old 11-14-08, 11:12 AM   #113
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Quote:
Hi PT, that's ok, it was just a my opinion,

here some considerations:

Flower Corvette:
she run over me at 11kts. Then began a turn (full rudder) and her speed dropped at 5-6kts (too slow?:hmm. When she toke the straight run, the speed arised at 12kts (from 6kts) in 2 minutes: it sounds good . Maybe the turn radius seems too large for this kind ship, almost 300m :hmm:. She can drop the speed from 12kts to 5kts in 1minute. When she rammed me, she ordered back course (looking her propeller), but she wasn't able to invert the run suddently, so it's in agree with RL .

Town class DD:
She can turn at 10kts and the speed drops from 30kts to 12kts in 1,5minutes. The turn radius seems okay..
This is looking very good.
I'll take a look in the flower corvette.
Thanks for pointing out!
Old 11-14-08, 11:44 AM   #114
Sag75
XO

Hi, just a guess: I played your mod 6 times in campain, accademy and single mission..... maybe it was a case... but I observed all merchants encountered by me proceeding at 4kts!

for example, in PQ-17 and Ice Baby 1 single missions, all convoy run at 4kts. In Accademy, in Torpedo Attack and Convoy Training, the same. Yesterday, the convoy encountered in St George's Channel during my testing campain was running at 4kts also. This doesn't apply to DD cruise..

However, I need more observations in game to confirm this....

Last edited by Sag75; 11-14-08 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-14-08, 12:02 PM   #115
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Quote:
Hi, just a guess: I played your mod 6 times in campain, accademy and single mission..... maybe it was a case... but I observed all merchants encountered by me proceeding at 4kts!

for example, in PQ-17 and Ice Baby 1 single missions, all convoy run at 4kts. In Accademy, in Torpedo Attack and Convoy Training, the same. Yesterday, the convoy encountered in St George's Channel during my testing campain was running at 4kts also. This doesn't apply to DD cruise..

Their normal speed would be between 4 and 7 knts.

However, if they were turning (rudder), their speed would slow down a tad.
Old 11-14-08, 12:02 PM   #116
Jaeger
Chief

Downloads: 28

Quote:
Mikhayl is correct.

i am not using gwx because of two points:
at first, i think you have to know the stock game before using a supermod. by playing this way, you are able to appreciate the tons of detail work.

second:
using a supermod (like gwx) forces the player to be with the authors in all points of game balance. i am not! the AI is unrealistic (surface night attacs in early war are not possible), the loading times (as a result of the tons of new units?) are too high. also the sinking time is too long. because of this reason, i dont use OLC's ubermod, it forces me to use a 16km atmosphere, which seems not realistic to me. i like to build my sh3 by myself. when playing, i mention a "problem", after this i look for a modssolution. this is the way i play. GWX gives a lot of ideas, what is possible in sh3, so i am glad to have it. sometimes, i try to take some features (like the notail mod) out of gwx.

i hope gwx3 will give players the possibility to enable the campaign (for loading time purposes), extra units (same purpose) and AI (game balance, reality pruposes) in JSGME. By doing so, all the questions like "how can i change this" will end...

so, back to topic: i think mikhayl is right, there is a complication because of the cloned ships.

in my ships folder, there are only the stock units (49 ships). does the community ships mod reduce loading performance?

edit: ctd with community ships mod enabled first.

edit2: PT, can you tell me how to change the specific values in the sim files? (s3d is installed on my rig)

Last edited by Jaeger; 11-14-08 at 05:25 PM.
Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-08, 02:23 PM   #117
Sag75
XO

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks, but during merchant zig-zagging, the speed drop to 2kts, so it might be better arise the cruising speed up to 6-7kts, so during zig-zagging the speed will drop to 3-4kts.

For instance, the cruising speed for Liberty Ship is 11kts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_Ship

Old 11-14-08, 09:18 PM   #118
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Quote:
Quote:
Mikhayl is correct.

i am not using gwx because of two points:
at first, i think you have to know the stock game before using a supermod. by playing this way, you are able to appreciate the tons of detail work.

second:
using a supermod (like gwx) forces the player to be with the authors in all points of game balance. i am not! the AI is unrealistic (surface night attacs in early war are not possible), the loading times (as a result of the tons of new units?) are too high. also the sinking time is too long. because of this reason, i dont use OLC's ubermod, it forces me to use a 16km atmosphere, which seems not realistic to me. i like to build my sh3 by myself. when playing, i mention a "problem", after this i look for a modssolution. this is the way i play. GWX gives a lot of ideas, what is possible in sh3, so i am glad to have it. sometimes, i try to take some features (like the notail mod) out of gwx.

i hope gwx3 will give players the possibility to enable the campaign (for loading time purposes), extra units (same purpose) and AI (game balance, reality pruposes) in JSGME. By doing so, all the questions like "how can i change this" will end...

so, back to topic: i think mikhayl is right, there is a complication because of the cloned ships.

in my ships folder, there are only the stock units (49 ships). does the community ships mod reduce loading performance?

edit: ctd with community ships mod enabled first.

edit2: PT, can you tell me how to change the specific values in the sim files? (s3d is installed on my rig)
I think that would be easier for you to install GWX and use mods (or mod yourself) the things you don't like, to fit your taste.

Example: With gwx installed, you don't like how the ships identify you too soon? Change the settings in sensors.cfg to fit your taste. You don't like how the destroyers have amazing precision with the deckgun? Change the settings in sim.cfg to fit your taste.

You are totally wrong about the 16km environment. The human eye can spot a ship up to 30 km distance. In the 8km environment, the crew will identify a ship between 5-6km distance, using binoculars. Are you kidding me?

If you prefer to change the ships yourself, here's the data you'll need to change.

Open each .sim file in S3D.

1. gc_height = 0,1
2. surface -> drag -> LR and UD = 0,75
3. propulsion = 10% of atual value (ex. 12000 = 1200)
4. rudder -> drag -> 0,02 for merchants and 0,03 for non-merchants.

1. That will assure more stability to ships
2. That will assure more stability to ships
3. That will make ships have more real maneuverability
4. That will make ships have more real maneuverability

Old 11-14-08, 09:20 PM   #119
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks, but during merchant zig-zagging, the speed drop to 2kts, so it might be better arise the cruising speed up to 6-7kts, so during zig-zagging the speed will drop to 3-4kts.

For instance, the cruising speed for Liberty Ship is 11kts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_Ship
Changing the ship's cruising speed you take months. You'd have to do it one by one, and their waypoints aswell.

It's not a setting "cruising speed" in ship's data. It's the whole script in campaign.

I won't change that.

I'll reduce the drag up,down,left,right of the mod. That will allow them to turn without losing much speed, but wil also make them bob around 25% more. Let's see.
Old 11-14-08, 09:34 PM   #120
Sag75
XO

Hi PT, sorry for my anxiety, maybe what I reported was just a pure case... ..because this night I encountered several merchants and one convoy. All of them at 7-8kts! A task force was also reported cruising at 8kts.

Finally I was in a storm! Ships have behaved very well, in a more heavy fashion! In this occasion, a small freighter cruising at 7kts dropped her speed to 4-5kts when started zig-zagging. I think is good, maybe in SH3 the speed loss in the turning is not so proportional with the straight run one, ..anyway, that's it!

So, I'd like know opinions by other people here!

It seems an already good newborn mod !!

Thanks!!

(tests go on..)

Last edited by Sag75; 11-14-08 at 09:41 PM.