Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-28-10, 07:44 AM   #91
John Channing
Sea Lord

Downloads: 156
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonibamestre View Post
Well,perhaps our hope can be set into Fighter Ops from XSI.It intends to start as a nowadays USAF flight simulator,extremely detailed and acurate,expandable later on via regular basis with more air platforms and sceneries worldwide.The best thing of this new creation is that Naval Warfare will be contemplated aswell down the track,so developers will give the best of themselves building Naval environments,vessels,systems and weapons from scratch.Also,when the time arrives all these items can be discussed into FOps Forum,changing ideas with the developers.
I tell you guys,for all those you like the modern warfare this one can become with the time the great ultimate Combat Sim ever built.

Good Lord! Is that still going on?

It's been, what, 8 or 9 years?

JCC
John Channing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-10, 08:00 AM   #92
msxyz
Engineer

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0

Did we really need SH5 to be published in such a messy state?

The worst part of SH5 for me is that its announcement caused the cancellation of GWX for SH4. I don't care about SH6. SH5 did enough damage already do the submarine simulation enthusiasts.

Last edited by msxyz; 03-28-10 at 11:19 AM.
msxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-10, 08:35 AM   #93
goldorak
Admiral

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Channing View Post
Good Lord! Is that still going on?

It's been, what, 8 or 9 years?

JCC
Its a vaporware project.
Lead Pursuit has more chances of bringing to market a naval sequel of Falcon 4 AF then the XSI guys have of even putting out the first "episode" of their flight sim.
goldorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-10, 08:45 AM   #94
scrapser
Captain

Downloads: 12

Since all the Silent Hunter releases are built off each other, I think what is needed is for Ubisoft to invest in fixng the core code and clean up a lot of the problems that keep reappearing. I'm pretty sure the code used can be encapsulated so aspects that apply to any submarine simulation can be finalized, never needing further adjustments.

A good example is the logic controlling the targeting of a torpedo. This is trigonomety. The only thing that changes are distances and speed and whether to use meters or yards. Another would be logic that controls how the submarine moves through water at the surface or submerged. This could also apply to all ships and aircraft. The only thing that changes are the physical size and weight of each platform.

I can see where a new technology may cause something to be tweaked to incorporate changes but I don't think the problems we have seen in the series are due to that alone. Anyway, if Ubisoft wants to be "the" sub sim source, they should pay the genre its due and stop pumping out half baked code and expect everyone else to fix it. Sure programs will be modded but it should not be to fix basic problems that have been known for years on end.
i7 920 CPU
TR 120 Extreme HS (lapped)
6 GB OCZ Platinum 1600 (8x175 = 1400)
BFG GTX 295
Silverstone DA1000W PSU
Sony GDM-FW900 24" Wide Screen CRT
WinXP Pro 32-bit
scrapser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 02:21 AM   #95
tonibamestre
中国水兵

Downloads: 82

So.......what do you tell me if next SH was built FS style? I mean basically being able to choose start location,ports and exact pier,type of vessel,and meteorological conditions.Of course a lot of resources are needed in order to implement an accurate selectable weather-sea state but my opinnion is that would be well worth.
tonibamestre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 08:28 AM   #96
Solyne
Swabbie

Downloads: 389

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboywooly View Post
Whos to say you wont get a DLC expansion for SH5 adding in the Pacific

I would love that, except we would have only the S Boats and the Porpoise, and the war would end in February 1942.
Solyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 08:43 AM   #97
thyro
Commander

Location: on a rock surrounded by water, that people call it UK
Downloads: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanC View Post
I've pretty much dismissed Ubisoft as competent in the simulator dept anyways.
I fully agree with above sentence!

SS bought
SH2 bought
SH3 bought
SH4 bought
SH5 not bought and never will unless DRM gets dropped.

SH3+SH4 full fill the requirements.

I just live in hope that one of these days a software house developes modern era of Sub Sims and leave the old WWII veteran subs rest in peace for good.

thyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 08:55 AM   #98
mcarlsonus
Weps

Downloads: 13

I dunno about, "modern day." I've played 'em all: "688," "Red Storm Rising," even "Seawolf." They were all fine in their day and for the more advanced equipment they represented. However, in a sim like, "Seawolf," one spent much of ones time staring at a, "waterfall" display screen representing passive sonar. After listening to whales for awhile, etc., one LONGS for the opportunity to just look out the window (periscope) or surface for a gun drill...
mcarlsonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 09:08 AM   #99
Morpheus
Ensign

Downloads: 17

SH5 is a Epic failure

I got a try on it from a friend, since i would never buy a game with something like a DRM requirement. After my first few hours of play i can only say: MEGA ROFL - pull the plug and sink the game.

The only attraction is the good graphic!

Gameplay is rubbish and tends to give you arcade feeling which i dont like.

I dont need SH5, and i certainly don't need another SH Verison published by UBI ... byebye UBI
Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 10:03 AM   #100
Kepler
Swabbie

Downloads: 31

I need UBI to fix (no, completely REDO!) just about every aspect of the SH5-game I've actually BOUGHT, apart from the visuals. But I somehow doubt they'll manage to convert a poorly coded, extremely simplistic roleplaying game into something one could call a "sim".

I was hopeful when I heard that the SH5 devs were paying attention to what the GWX guys had done to SH3. Thus, it completely baffles me that they thought SH5 would cater to the same crowd that enjoyed GWX!

And this is just me complaining about the design decisions (I really hate the way they've went with SH5 in most ways) - I haven't even started on the whole "alpha state release" rant.
Kepler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 11:44 AM   #101
Ark
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboywooly View Post
Whos to say you wont get a DLC expansion for SH5 adding in the Pacific

I hope so!

I really want the fleet boats in the graphically enhanced world of SH5.
Asus P6T Deluxe mobo
Core i7 920 @ 3.8ghz
6GB G.Skill DDR3 1600
Evga GTX 285 SSC
SB X-FI Fatality
640GB WD "Black"
Dell 3007WFP-HC 30" LCD / Acer 23" H233H
Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-10, 09:26 PM   #102
marky84
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

sh5 was a fail. i was stoked wen i saw it in best buy 1 day and bought it on the spot. 1st mission out i gave up trying to play after like 10 minutes of trying to figure out how to get the boat to dive

would be nice if sh6 was japanese subs but it would get boring once they started sending u on the transport missions

british submarines would be nice though, good opportunities for sub v sub*hintity hint hint*
marky84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-10, 09:32 PM   #103
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky84 View Post
sh5 was a fail. i was stoked wen i saw it in best buy 1 day and bought it on the spot. 1st mission out i gave up trying to play after like 10 minutes of trying to figure out how to get the boat to dive

would be nice if sh6 was japanese subs but it would get boring once they started sending u on the transport missions

british submarines would be nice though, good opportunities for sub v sub*hintity hint hint*
I didn't buy it on day 1 but I did buy it. I was sadly disappointed also. Take that back I was utterly disappointed. I looked through the files and the tools that the devs gave us modders to use and saw great potential there. I was sold when I saw the awesome potential to extend the game via scripting. And as the saying goes, the rest is history...
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-10, 09:38 PM   #104
the_tyrant
Admiral

Downloads: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
I didn't buy it on day 1 but I did buy it. I was sadly disappointed also. Take that back I was utterly disappointed. I looked through the files and the tools that the devs gave us modders to use and saw great potential there. I was sold when I saw the awesome potential to extend the game via scripting. And as the saying goes, the rest is history...

modders like you inspire us and give us somebody to look up to
the_tyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-10, 02:26 PM   #105
commandosolo2009
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 132

if a new engine comes up, ubi stays away, improved visual effects, drm is cancelled, and bugs are removed, then yeah. Otherwise, *ell NO!!!!
commandosolo2009 is offline   Reply With Quote