SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-17-10, 04:22 PM   #2116
alphlvr
Watch

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by karamazovnew View Post
The bug comes from the hardcoded torpedo buttons. When you press one you automatically close the last ones. So the only way to fix that is to comment out the commands that close tubes and only leave the "Toggle" one.

The notepad is bugged. It has default values for speed (0) and range (3000). When you send the AOB to the TDC you actually only send it to the first page of the notepad. If you then send it to the TDC, you'll also enter a zero speed and 3000 range.

Try OMEGU v300 with patch (what's the latest? 4?). You'll instantly see why.

cheers,

actually i am using omegu with patch 4....but unfortunatly im going to be a bit thick and say `what will i instantly see`, im embarrased im sure its obvious but you totally lost me, but thanks for the response.

ps. i did notice the notepad jumps to `0 speed` and `3000 range`

im going to try the tube cycle method suggested below in a mo.

i love the dials added to the attack (or is the obs) scope but does the info added go to the attack map? or do u have to just use the `obs scope` for a firing solution OR just the `attack map` for a firing solution OR just the `attack scope` rather than mix and matching info?
that sounds a bit cryptic, what i mean is must i just chosse one screen for entering info? the reason i ask is i find each screen has different benefits.

lastly is the obs periscope more `spottable` than the attack scope? and does having both scopes up make u even more spottable?

thanks for all responses once again.

Last edited by alphlvr; 01-17-10 at 04:43 PM.
alphlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-10, 09:29 PM   #2117
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Downloads: 151

Quote:
im going to try the tube cycle method suggested below in a mo.
If you want to open all the tubes in a salvo, don't bother, the game can't do that. Manually open all tubes. The switches in the periscope screen only show the status, you can't click on them. You'll have to use the Q key for each, but at least they don't close back when you switch the tube as they did in vanilla.

Quote:
i love the dials added to the attack (or is the obs) scope but does the info added go to the attack map? or do u have to just use the `obs scope` for a firing solution OR just the `attack map` for a firing solution OR just the `attack scope` rather than mix and matching info?
that sounds a bit cryptic, what i mean is must i just chosse one screen for entering info? the reason i ask is i find each screen has different benefits.
The dials are just representations of unique "invisible" dials. It makes no difference if you use the Attack Map ones, or the new ones in the Attack Peri screen, you're changing the same thing.

Quote:
lastly is the obs periscope more `spottable` than the attack scope? and does having both scopes up make u even more spottable?
No and no. But on the other hand, I've only rarely been spotted like this and usually by warships alone. Don't go sticking them out if they're closer than 1000m.
karamazovnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-10, 03:38 AM   #2118
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Hello Lurker,

thanks for the links, i already found something about it but the links you provided are great ! I really had not heard of MAD being used before
From the links this MAD gear seems to have been used from february 1944 on - and even if it was not installed on all planes, it must have been impossible to evade planes equipped with those devices ? Does depth or salinity layers have any influence on detection ?
Only chance would have been to stay submerged until the planes' petrol ran out, unless there were destroyers being alarmed in the vicinity. But then there was no u-boat detector against MAD, so they would not even have known they had been detected ..

I have also read that even the russian titan-hulls of the Alfa and other titanium-hull built classes could be detected by MAD, because of the temperature differences between uper and lower hull -> changed salinity -> leading to magnetic anomaly.

And even coils of trucks with running engines can be detected via MAD gear .
I wonder whether detection of submarines can be evaded at all nowadays, as long as there is aerial supervision, or by the successor of SOSUS ?

Thanks and greetings,
Catfish
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-10, 12:38 PM   #2119
Captain MAXIM
Swabbie

Downloads: 72
Hello everyone,

I've been playing OM, and I was wondering.Can you change your submarine? I have started in 1939 and I have a VIIB type submarine and now its 1941 and I want to change it to VIIC.
Captain MAXIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-10, 11:08 PM   #2120
alphlvr
Watch

Default torps exploding early g7a

dunno if this is op monsun related but thats what im plating so ill pop it in here.

i see a ship, im at 700m and 90degrees off his bow, ready for perfect shot....but in rough seas....i save my game.(just in case im a nub :P )

i loose 2 g7a torps from my type c (march 1940 atm) and both explode before reaching target so i launch the 3rd and it does the same.

i reload and retry but set them deeper and further and all three pop before reaching target (about 300-400m)

i reload and it reoccurs, and reload and it reoccurs.

do rough seas increase duds? i dont mind duds as long as thats whhat it is and not me doing sonthin wrong?

any ideas? maybe the ships cap`n just has 9 lives due to his mother practising bestiality with her cat

edit, impact only seems to have fixed it...is that the probb, magnetic ?

edit2 i spoke to soon, i guess i kist got loaded with duds, i guess when you can only carry 5 fish the 1st 3 being duds seems a bit wrong....but if its authentic then i like it

Last edited by alphlvr; 01-19-10 at 06:34 AM.
Old 01-19-10, 12:59 AM   #2121
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Yes, that was the problem in real life, and also in the game. Unfortunately in real life they couldn't just flip a switch and change detonaters - it had to be done manually by the torpedo crew, and it took a little time.

They also had problems with the magnetic detonaters the further north they went. BdU finally ordered all magnetic heads removed at the home bases. Then, like the Americans two years later, they found that there were depth-keeping problems as well. The problem was solved around mid-1942 and by the first of 1943 they had usable magnetic detonaters again.
http://www.uboataces.com/articles-wo...orpedoes.shtml

The Americans suffered almost the exact same sequence of events with the Mark 14 torpedo, starting when they entered the war in December 1941.
Old 01-19-10, 06:29 AM   #2122
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Hello,
may also help to set the torpedo pistol to impact, not magnetic. I also mostly set the depth to 1 meter, because especially in rough seas the fish strikes the ship much too deep, so the pistol does not work when hitting a +-45 degrees part of the hull.
They also explode from time to time, but it generally works.

" ... maybe the ships cap`n just has 9 lives due to his mother practising bestiality with her cat ..."

What ?

Greetings,
Catfish
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-10, 07:42 AM   #2123
looney
Commodore

Downloads: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIM View Post
Hello everyone,

I've been playing OM, and I was wondering.Can you change your submarine? I have started in 1939 and I have a VIIB type submarine and now its 1941 and I want to change it to VIIC.
I'd like an answer also. I'm not sure how it works in the US campaign. Also I like to know how and when I'm offered transfers to other flotillas.

On the subject of the pistols, I kinda like the way the devs handled this. Then again I think the notepad is usefull also.. specially when checking if the target is on the estimated track.
looney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-10, 03:31 PM   #2124
OrangeYoshi
Gunner

Downloads: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIM View Post
Hello everyone,

I had the same question, and after a short search, it looks like you will get a VIIc quite soon if you have some good patrols (you earn your upgrades), and it may be into 1942 before you get it if you keep getting average patrols.

I would like to know (or be told where to find) the complete list of new sub dates and flotilla transfer possibilities in OM, though.
Old 01-21-10, 09:04 AM   #2125
sqdw77483
Nub

Downloads: 364

Why can not deck gun of IXB type rotated?

OM 705
OM705 to 720
OM720 patch 1
OMEGU 300
OMEGU patch 4
sqdw77483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-10, 09:08 AM   #2126
looney
Commodore

Hmm either faulty install, or heavy seas

Cause in my game the gun works normally. O can't see the steam torpedo wakes... haven't figured out why
Old 01-21-10, 09:42 AM   #2127
alphlvr
Watch

Default getting rid of yanks once and for all

hi, sorry for all my questions

ok `op monsun` is my mod of choice at the moment and i seem to remember reading that lurker added some german speech to it `but` if you played yanks it also played yankee speech. (i think thats right as i just heard `periscope depth` in a yankee sub.

well ive spent days fiddling with all the german soundpacks swapping sounds for my favourites into my personal nazi sound pack, so i now have a sound folder with the 9 sound folders full of german speech.

what i want to know is how did lurker get it to use yank and german speech? and what do i do to make the game just collect sounds from all 9 folders as it used to?? (i assume thats how he did it, yanks use a few folders and germanns a few??)

my op monson is a full nazi install and wont be needing any yankee sounds,.

also seeing as i filled em all with german sounds i would like them all used, i guess i need to swap 1 file (the one that tells it where to play files from????) but really i know nothing so ill be thankful for any help??

cheers

ps my torp problem was just magentic+heavy seas + a lot of duds, it was just 3 in a row that made me question it, ta for all the input.
Old 01-21-10, 10:26 AM   #2128
609_Avatar
Watch Officer

Downloads: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphlvr View Post
ps my torp problem was just magentic+heavy seas + a lot of duds, it was just 3 in a row that made me question it, ta for all the input.
lol, don't feel bad. I just did a patrol in June of '40 and only had 3 torps out of 14 that worked! This one merchant must have been wondering what the heck was going on with all those thuds against his hull until I finally had to surface and take him out with my deck gun... Yes, there were a few colorful expletives expressed on that particular patrol...
Old 01-21-10, 11:05 AM   #2129
looney
Commodore

I stick to impact at 1-2 meters until mid 1942
Old 01-21-10, 12:41 PM   #2130
alphlvr
Watch

very helpful actually because my mind told me to make the fish run deeper thinking that they were coming up out of the water and that was what was exploding them.

trying shallower ne`er ever crossed my mind

luckily they were duds in the end, cuz what i thought was `st georges cross` (my monitors crap AND it was dark) was actually a swedish flag

*further to eradicating yankee called sounds* -...

ps it could be omegu that adds the germman voices actually, but still im wondering how it switches between american and german depending on campaign chosen. if i compare files muxh longer my ead will explode (inless its a dud :P)