SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-02-17, 05:20 PM   #1
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

Default Periscope filter.tga

I have MAGUI F and I am
Playing with the green scope filter. I use GIMP and I am trying to make the attack lens darker!

My objective is to make the attack scope virtually useless at night. After reading many stories and documentaries I know that the attack scope was not used at night.

Now in GIMP I was able use the brightness and lower it but it is still bright. Is there another way to make the attack periscope darker?

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-17, 05:41 PM   #2
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

You have to darken your nights in your env mod !

If you want to play realist, it should be hard/impossible for you to spot ships at clear/cloudy nights when you are on the bridge, so it's impossible to see them with a dark filter on the periscope !
Old 04-02-17, 09:38 PM   #3
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465
Uploads: 0

I have been on a 35-foot sailboat in the Caribbean and Chesapeake Bay at night, and it is certainly possible to see freighters at night with the unaided eye. It is harder to see them with, say, binoculars ( or periscope optics) because their aperture is much more restricted. Even high-dollar "night glasses" require much brighter ambient. So dimming the periscope FOV might be a realistic approach, IMO.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-17, 10:22 PM   #4
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

Big walleye, my thoughts exactly, been trying to figure out how. If anyone uses gimp, and knows how, please let me know.

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-17, 08:32 AM   #5
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstanko6 View Post
Big walleye, my thoughts exactly, been trying to figure out how. If anyone uses gimp, and knows how, please let me know.
Would like to help, but I use P'shop. Don't know gimp.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-17, 02:22 PM   #6
badwolf
XO

Downloads: 59
Default Periscope filter.tga

I worked on that project a few years ago using gimp.

You use the spray and smear tool to put a foggy grey effect on the view area, making the edges more thicker for effect. Spray the area black, more as you do the edges, then smear it, making it a foggy grey. The effect is exactly what you want, reduced light.

I wanted to make the attack scope harder to use at night than the Obs scope. But it darkens daytime as well, when it really shouldn't.

I've been recently thinking about how to make that idea work and thought of a few ideas to try.

1. Investigate if it's possible to make the observation scope more detectable in the day. Will have to try altering the height and wake settings in camera.dat to see if the A.I. sensor uses that as detection. You can test this out by using the stealth meter and raising each scope in turn. During daylight the obs. scope should show less stealth on the meter.

This will make using the attack scope during daylight more stealthy.

2. The red mask is not used in gui's these days. I was wondering if that could be used to bring a dark filter over the attack scope at night, without the red mask effect. That would darken the attack scope viewing at night but would be retracted automatically during daylight hours giving the normal view.

The 2 effects would make it easier to use the obs. scope at night being harder to detect at night and a clearer view. But the attack scope during daylight would be better because it would be just as clear and harder to detect.

Last edited by badwolf; 04-04-17 at 02:53 PM.
badwolf is offline   Reply With Quote