SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-03-19, 04:43 PM   #6976
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper450 View Post
@KaleunMarco thanks for you help.

Here is the picture!
haha haha

you caught a pilot in the act of parachuting!
that's a new one for me.
nice screen shot!

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-19, 04:46 PM   #6977
J0313
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1786
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik112 View Post
Thanks for the reply, but the question its still active

cheers
Merc4ulfate doesn't really have an idea of just how far 6500 meters looks when you are looking through a sight I am sure. Even through a magnified sight it is a helluva long way away. I spent 3 years as a gunner on a LAV-25 in the Marine Corps and we routinely engaged targets as far as 3000 meters and believe me that was difficult until you got the hang of it. And that was with an M242 25mm cannon. I could just imagine someone trying to hit something as small as a sub at 6500 meters with an iron sight or even a magnified sight back in the day.
J0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-19, 04:47 PM   #6978
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc4ulfate View Post
Why are there two player indicator marks and can they be removed altogether from the game?

two very good questions.
i suspect the first issue is an unintended consequence of something the mod changed.

the second issue is definitely doable. i just finished playing OpMunson and there was no umark (that's what the orange thing is called. it marks where you are. hey, i didn't name it, so don't give me that look. )

ask propbeanie or RR they will know how to disarm umark.

mb

LAA enabled
Old 01-03-19, 04:50 PM   #6979
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, but the question its still active

cheers
you will need to change one of the CFG files in order to adjust when the enemy shoots at you.

LAA enabled
Old 01-03-19, 04:54 PM   #6980
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:

I still can not get rid of the HISSING sound upon taking damage. Even when the damage is repaired it just won't go away. Anyone else have this issue?

yes, this issue is widespread and part of the Stock game code. you cannot fix it.

the work-around is to save the game, exit completely out, take a couple a deep breaths, maybe have some brandy or single malt, and then re-start the game and reload your patrol.

i have found that from time-to-time, not even this will work. the restart, i mean. however, the liquid libation will help you cope with the annoyance.

yes, that sound is very annoying.
good luck, buddy.

mb

LAA enabled
Old 01-03-19, 05:03 PM   #6981
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Tokyo bay:
I have seen this on a few other classes of ship as well. The Tone had a submarine next to it and its screws were perfect in there texture but some surface ships are coming out checkerboard on the screws.
nice screen shots here. how in the heck did you figure out there was a sub next to the cruiser?

Quote:
The net across the shallows is a nice way to keep us from making a short cut but bow on I took no damage from it. When I turned and scrapped it with my starboard side I took damage.
you are fortunate that you only took damage when you struck the net. i lost a boat doing that. i am amazed that you lived to tell the tale.

Quote:
Second port farther up had a dd on land.
yes, i have seen (and posted) this type of stuff myself. the best one is when i caught up with a task force at Saipan. the TF spawned and a carrier was placed on top of the hills on Saipan. i'll have to see if i can find it for you.

the cause is that the ship was in the wrong place when it spawned (when you arrived on the scene). most of the time i have seen this behaviour is when there is task force or a convoy really close to a port or land when i arrive on the scene and the group spawns into the various pieces of the group. if one of those pieces is on land, guess what happens?

LAA enabled
Old 01-03-19, 05:27 PM   #6982
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0313 View Post
Merc4ulfate doesn't really have an idea of just how far 6500 meters looks when you are looking through a sight I am sure. Even through a magnified sight it is a helluva long way away. I spent 3 years as a gunner on a LAV-25 in the Marine Corps and we routinely engaged targets as far as 3000 meters and believe me that was difficult until you got the hang of it. And that was with an M242 25mm cannon. I could just imagine someone trying to hit something as small as a sub at 6500 meters with an iron sight or even a magnified sight back in the day.
so... you were a LAV 25 gunner?
i had a guy who worked for me who was an M1-A1 driver in the First Gulf War. nice kid. army, though.

LAA enabled
Old 01-03-19, 05:29 PM   #6983
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:

Second port farther up had a dd on land.
i found the carrier-on-the-hill post. check this out.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...an#post2572954

LAA enabled
Old 01-03-19, 07:25 PM   #6984
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 215
Default MY Dive Times !Error!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Runner View Post
I just made it to a stable 60 feet periscope depth from 10 knots on the surface in 54 seconds using all back emergency at the same time I press the "P" key.

Balao class surfaced running at 10 knots. Crew at Battle Stations.

1. Crash Dive / Start stopwatch
2. Watch depth gauge in lower right corner. When it starts going down wait until about 29 to 34 feet. Click "All Back Emergency" and press the "P" key.
3. Stop stopwatch when depth is 60 ft.
Why? Just for fun!

OK, I just did a lot of testing. The above example only works when you are performing "chain" dives. That is, one dive after another without allowing time for the low pressure blow to bring the boat back up to surface trim which is about 18 feet. (It takes about 5 minutes or so.)
The above example was performed after a dive, surface, then allowing only enough time to bring the speed back up to 10 knots. What happens is that the boat is already sitting at about 20 feet so everything happens much faster. Yeah! That 2 feet makes a big difference in diving times. Check it on your own and you'll see.

Almost all of my dive times, from 18 feet at the surface to periscope depth, no matter which method is used are about 3 1/2 minutes when using only the "P" key, (or the "D" key and then the "P" key at 35 feet (why bother?))

2 1/2 minutes when using the "Cntrl-D" key, then "P" key plus the "9" key at 30 ft. (Note: There was hardly any difference between using the "9" key and using the "3" key.)

Compare that to 2 1/2 minutes from 18 feet on the surface, Crash Dive to arrival at 100 feet/4 knots.

Press "1" key and order "depth gauge 100" when at 40 feet.

Carry on!

Gone but not forgotten, RIP Dave "LeoVampire".
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-19, 08:14 PM   #6985
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Unfortunately, the Japanese were very, very good at dropping the first or second shot on a submarine at 10,000 yards. I can't find the account, but here is the photo to prove it of a Freemantle boat which returned against Christie's orders on the surface because they were holed by such a shot.

Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-19, 08:22 PM   #6986
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Hi
where can i find it?

cheers
FOTRSU v0.63

I'll leave it available for 24 hours and then will have to reclaim the space.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-19, 08:59 PM   #6987
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

Quote:
Shame they only gave you a pea shooter to play with. A bushmaster like that comes a up a bit short against a 40mm Bofur on a Tambor from 30 years earlier let alone her deck gun with a trained crew. Should have joined the Navy like I did.

On a deck gun there is a sight setter (puts in sight angle and deflection*also called lead angle*) the trainer turns the weapon to target, the pointer does as well. There is also an officer up higher on the bridge looking down range with optics and calling out adjustments just like ground pounders do. The men on the weapon do not need to see a target they do need to listen to the officer as he tells them wear to aim. This is why following orders is so important.

This little gem will illustrate it for you. Real life isn't a game and the weapons we had in ww2 were far better than some might wish to believe.

I get such a giggle out of this film ... science is king and thank you Archimedes.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-19, 09:09 PM   #6988
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
nice screen shots here. how in the heck did you figure out there was a sub next to the cruiser?

you are fortunate that you only took damage when you struck the net. i lost a boat doing that. i am amazed that you lived to tell the tale.

yes, i have seen (and posted) this type of stuff myself. the best one is when i caught up with a task force at Saipan. the TF spawned and a carrier was placed on top of the hills on Saipan. i'll have to see if i can find it for you.

the cause is that the ship was in the wrong place when it spawned (when you arrived on the scene). most of the time i have seen this behaviour is when there is task force or a convoy really close to a port or land when i arrive on the scene and the group spawns into the various pieces of the group. if one of those pieces is on land, guess what happens?
1. I sank it when I saw it from about 3000 yards. Then I sank the Tone.

2. Yeah I was at 2knots submerged and have done that before and taken a lot of damage. Bow on did nothing however.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-19, 09:54 PM   #6989
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Unfortunately, the Japanese were very, very good at dropping the first or second shot on a submarine at 10,000 yards. I can't find the account, but here is the photo to prove it of a Freemantle boat which returned against Christie's orders on the surface because they were holed by such a shot.
wow. and they lived to tell the tale. the captain must have performed some really inspired maneuvering to escape from whatever shot him. truly inspiring.

see...the same result could not have happened in this simulation because a hit like that would have sunk the boat...in SH4.

one can only be at a certain level of reality in a simulation....and you can quote me on that.

LAA enabled
Old 01-04-19, 05:45 AM   #6990
J0313
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1786

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post

Yep, I'd say skill and luck played a role in that. And they are not direct center mass hits. Also a very funny angle
J0313 is offline   Reply With Quote