SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-06-10, 12:59 PM   #556
dacoobob
Swabbie

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeFF View Post
The game will automatically upgrade your fairwater for you. Unfortunately, you can't choose to upgrade it yourself (unlike SH5).
Ok, good to know. Does the Mid War superstructure look a lot like the previous one? I can't see any difference when I leave port for patrol #6.
dacoobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-10, 01:09 PM   #557
dacoobob
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBam View Post
I have read the RFB manual and the 2.0 readme and see nothing about having to restock the boat manually with more torps will doing a refit. I do not even see any way that is possible. When you get to your refit port the box comes up and gives the option to Refull/Rearm, once you click that it says refit inititated stay in port at least four hours. I do this an nothing happens.

I understand you need to manually fill the emply TUBES but I see no way to bring more torps onto the boat.
When I go to a friendly port that is NOT my home port and choose "rearm", it instantly fills my torpedo *reserves* slots with torps, but leaves the tubes themselves empty. I hit "T", drag the torpedoes to the tube slots to initiate reloading, and wait for my torpedomen to load up all my tubes. Then I click on the anchor icon in the upper-right corner of the screen and click "rearm" again. This fills up the newly empty spaces in my reserves sections. I believe the four-hour time in port thing is entirely voluntary, since the hard-coded instant loading of torpedoes is unrealistic. In fact you only *have* to wait long enough for your men to load up your tubes.

In my home port, the situation is entirely different, I have to go to the torpedoes screen and manually move each torpedo into the right slot one by one. I guess this is so that you can choose which type of torp to load.
Old 04-06-10, 01:29 PM   #558
TH0R
XO

Downloads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacoobob View Post
Ok, good to know. Does the Mid War superstructure look a lot like the previous one? I can't see any difference when I leave port for patrol #6.
You will get a message that your boat is undergoing a refit. Then you should have a new fairwater look.

I highly suggest that you read THIS PDF. It describes very nicely reasons and procedures why and what has been done to fleet sub conning towers.

SH4 had all four 'Mod' fairwaters modelled, but without their sub variants. I checked Gato, but I am not sure Tambor / Gar get Mod4 fairwater...

Balao is for example missing the early long version and has only one type.
Old 04-06-10, 01:30 PM   #559
BillBam
Watch Officer

Downloads: 171

Quote:
When I go to a friendly port that is NOT my home port and choose "rearm", it instantly fills my torpedo *reserves* slots with torps, but leaves the tubes themselves empty. I hit "T", drag the torpedoes to the tube slots to initiate reloading, and wait for my torpedomen to load up all my tubes. Then I click on the anchor icon in the upper-right corner of the screen and click "rearm" again. This fills up the newly empty spaces in my reserves sections. I believe the four-hour time in port thing is entirely voluntary, since the hard-coded instant loading of torpedoes is unrealistic. In fact you only *have* to wait long enough for your men to load up your tubes.

In my home port, the situation is entirely different, I have to go to the torpedoes screen and manually move each torpedo into the right slot one by one. I guess this is so that you can choose which type of torp to load.
Thanks...I was able to find my problem. When returning to my home port to end my first patrol I did not know I had to manually reload, so I left port without reloading. Subsequently when you go to a refit port you can only add as many as you added in your home port, since I added none it would not allow me to add any.
BillBam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-10, 02:19 PM   #560
flymar
Loader

Downloads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckyone17 View Post
Never had a problem with aircraft to this degree 'til now... maybe it's just karma for having bought SH5...
RFB+Patch+sensor Fix+RSRD
patrols in 1943. east china sea, indonesia. marshall islands. Lots of planes but they seldom attack. Even if they do it usually ends with little wounds of the deck crew and minor damages. Nothing critical. And I play SH5 too
flymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-10, 03:03 PM   #561
dacoobob
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH0R View Post
You will get a message that your boat is undergoing a refit. Then you should have a new fairwater look.

I highly suggest that you read THIS PDF. It describes very nicely reasons and procedures why and what has been done to fleet sub conning towers.

SH4 had all four 'Mod' fairwaters modelled, but without their sub variants. I checked Gato, but I am not sure Tambor / Gar get Mod4 fairwater...

Balao is for example missing the early long version and has only one type.
Thanks, that was a very interesting article! I still don't know why my boat is not getting the refit, but I guess I won't worry about it too much.
Old 04-06-10, 05:43 PM   #562
LukeFF
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Thanks, that was a very interesting article! I still don't know why my boat is not getting the refit, but I guess I won't worry about it too much.
Ducimus explained a long time ago how the game determines when your boat is eligible to receive a change to the fairwater. May want to ask him about it.

ROW Sound Effects Contributor
RFB Team Leader
LukeFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-10, 07:50 PM   #563
theluckyone17
Captain

Downloads: 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymar View Post
RFB+Patch+sensor Fix+RSRD
patrols in 1943. east china sea, indonesia. marshall islands. Lots of planes but they seldom attack. Even if they do it usually ends with little wounds of the deck crew and minor damages. Nothing critical. And I play SH5 too
You got SD radar? At the start of the war, I don't have an option to pick up SD. I was relying on my watch, which doesn't give me too much time to get deep. I dive just as soon as the watch crew points out the aircraft. Order a crash dive, flank speed, and alter the depth to 200' or below. I won't kick the rudder over, just to keep the speed up.

Sometimes I make it to 200', sometimes I don't. If I do, I don't hear an attack. If I don't... well, I've gotten one miss. I play DiD...

I might just go for a fresh install, in case I boogered something in the process of upgrading to RFB2. In all my time playing SH4, I've never had aircraft attack me like this, and I think it'd stand out if other folk were experiencing it, too.
theluckyone17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-10, 07:56 PM   #564
dacoobob
Swabbie

Quote:
Ducimus explained a long time ago how the game determines when your boat is eligible to receive a change to the fairwater. May want to ask him about it.
Oh, so it's not solely based on the date? Nevermind then.
Old 04-06-10, 09:13 PM   #565
RFB Team
SH4 Mod Team

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckyone17 View Post
You got SD radar? At the start of the war, I don't have an option to pick up SD.
The Porpoise class has SD radar available from the start of the war, though the renown cost is high. The Gar and Tambor classes have it available from January 1942. The rest of the classes have it available later.

The RFB team is an open group and our work is open to anyone. Although we have a separate forum for development and testing, it is not a private forum, so you can drop in and see what's going on or contribute. The forum is open to other developers that need a place to exchange ideas too.

http://forum.kickinbak.com/index.php...647a9120c08614
RFB Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-10, 04:07 AM   #566
RFB Team
SH4 Mod Team

Downloads: 3
Default Something new coming in the next patch update

It shouldn't be long in coming now. Work will then commence in full on the Narwhal.

The RFB team is an open group and our work is open to anyone. Although we have a separate forum for development and testing, it is not a private forum, so you can drop in and see what's going on or contribute. The forum is open to other developers that need a place to exchange ideas too.

http://forum.kickinbak.com/index.php...647a9120c08614
RFB Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-10, 05:44 PM   #567
Chromius
Sailor man

Downloads: 151

Looking good. I am looking forward to it.
Chromius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-10, 09:10 AM   #568
TH0R
XO

I have a small question: which torpedoes use 'high' speed setting? I noticed that Mark 14 uses only 'slow' and 'medium'.
Old 04-09-10, 04:43 PM   #569
LukeFF
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH0R View Post
I have a small question: which torpedoes use 'high' speed setting? I noticed that Mark 14 uses only 'slow' and 'medium'.
It's just a graphics thing that OakGroove did when he made his interior graphics mod. There are no American torpdoes with 3 speed settings.

ROW Sound Effects Contributor
RFB Team Leader
LukeFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-10, 05:15 AM   #570
TH0R
XO

Quote:
It's just a graphics thing that OakGroove did when he made his interior graphics mod. There are no American torpdoes with 3 speed settings.
Since RFB is all about realism - why the 3 speed 'eye candy' setting then? I am guessing there isn't a mod without this or there is some historical background behind this...