SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-06-08, 09:31 AM   #3196
donw
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 0

Ummmm maybe..
Tell us more about your RAM memory...Is it 2 seperate cards...one being 1G and the other 500M ??

I've read of several problems occuring when the 2 cards are not matched. I don't think it's too big of an issue if they are different byte size...but what IS important is they must be the same type...ie..PC133...PC 2100..PC2700..PC5400..etc etc etc

You see...each one of those operate at different clock frequencies...as in the examples above would be 133Mhz..266Mhz..333Mhz..667Mhz...etc

It is critical that memory cards be matched in this respect
donw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-08, 11:44 AM   #3197
Wiley_Wolf
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0
Game wont load missions past 1940???

Hi all,

I'm posting here as a last resort to see if any of you guys or gals can help me as im fast running out of idea's ......and sanity

I have bought a copy of silent hunter III (budget title by Focus) recently (UK DVD) I presume its already patched to 1.4b because when i load up the game it's showing v1.4. It doesnt have the disc auth checker software on it like the original boxed game did so will run without the disc in the drive.

I have installed and played the game 'out of box' as it comes, no mods and everything is fine, i can start a mission in 1940 onwards from any base in any boat.

When I install GWX2 everything installs fine (not tried it with commander yet) I can start a career in a type IIA in Kiel in 1939 and everything is fine, game loads up no problem on every patrol and runs ingame fine....... until I get to 1940 (June i think it was), then everything appears to be fine until I accept a new patrol, I get the loading screen come up, the one with the red progress bar at the bottom, the progress bar get right to the end (bout a centimeter short) then it stays there for about 4 mins, at the point where it would normally go to the black screen with the 'not so long ago' message it stays blank then comes up with a windows error box saying ' SHIII has encountered a problem and needs to close' giving me the option to report to microsoft?? It does this on every carreer i try to start after 1940, no matter which boat i choose or flotilla.

I have tried everything i can think of below-

tried selecting different years and different boats after 1940 as new careers (still same problem)

uninstalled game and mod completely from system and manually removed any files left behind on system.

reinstalled game and mod (from the bin files i all ready had) - same problem.

checked bin files with jsmd5m tool, all fine

uninstalled the game and mod files

reinstalled the game and re-downloaded the mod from a different source (gameshadow), installed again - same problem

I have downloaded latest drivers for card (G-Force 7600GS)

I've tried defraging my drive.

I honestly now cant think what the problem could be , the game works fine out of the box but not with GWX2 some it must be something mod related? Im running an athlon 2.4 gig processor and have 1Gig ram and a G-Force 7600gs with windows XP, when the game runs , it runs fine.
Wiley_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-08, 12:09 PM   #3198
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Download the MD5 Programme from the GWX website (click on my sig) and check all your GWX2.0 files are okay.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-08, 12:14 PM   #3199
donw
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley_Wolf
Think he already stated he did that Jim
Old 02-06-08, 12:35 PM   #3200
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by donw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley_Wolf
Think he already stated he did that Jim
Right

It can only mean you have a little sh*t left over off a previous install then (assuming of course you've never added any additional external mods).

Uninstall again......BUT USE THE GAME DISC

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-08, 01:16 PM   #3201
moscowexile
Navy Dude

Downloads: 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by donw
Ummmm maybe..
Tell us more about your RAM memory...Is it 2 seperate cards...one being 1G and the other 500M ??

I've read of several problems occuring when the 2 cards are not matched. I don't think it's too big of an issue if they are different byte size...but what IS important is they must be the same type...ie..PC133...PC 2100..PC2700..PC5400..etc etc etc

You see...each one of those operate at different clock frequencies...as in the examples above would be 133Mhz..266Mhz..333Mhz..667Mhz...etc

It is critical that memory cards be matched in this respect
You might just have nailed the gremlin there! It's not two memory cards that I have installed, but three! The two that came with the computer 3 years ago totalled 512 Mb; I took one of them to a reputable dealer on an electronics megamarket here and asked if I could have two more like it so as to make up a 1 Gb RAM. He said that the firm that makes such cards no longer manufactures that specification but he added that he could sell me a 1 Gb card made by the same outfit. I asked if I could use the two cards that I already had so as to make up the RAM to 1.5 Gb and he said I could. But thinking back now, he didn't really seem that sure: he was just happy to have made a sale, I guess.

I'll whip out those two little rascals in a trice and report back.

Thing is, though, why do my other heavy-on-RAM games work flawlessly? I'm talking about "Rome Total War" with a ""Rome Total Reality" mod, whose size is comparable to that of GWX 2.0, "Medal of Honor- Airborne" and "Spider-Man 3", amongst others.

Ps I've just read about WileyWolf's problems with a "Focus" issue of SH3 bought in the UK. That's the same as I bought over there last August. Could be a disc problem: corrupted files. However, my problem only started on the onset of my second mission outward bound from Wilhelmshaven.

Last edited by moscowexile; 02-06-08 at 01:30 PM.
moscowexile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-08, 01:23 PM   #3202
donw
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by moscowexile
Thing is, though, why do my other heavy-on-RAM games work flawlessly?
Maybe because Ubisoft is not one of the best software developers out there? I don't know mate...What I DO know is SH3 is filled with funny little "quirks" that pop up all the time. Some have been dealt with and work-arounds made...and some have not.

Pull out those 2 256's and let us know what happens

Last edited by donw; 02-06-08 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-06-08, 04:27 PM   #3203
moscowexile
Navy Dude

I pulled the smaller cards out and there was no change: illegible grid references on the chart, rectangular cross hatching for ship and sub positions, likewise for harbours, and rectangular white water around the sub instead of a wake.

Everything else works fine.
Old 02-07-08, 01:45 PM   #3204
hajopu
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 11

I had the same problem with my computer.
Please try this: disable the "write combining" in the windows system.
Good luck.

hajopu
hajopu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-08, 03:24 PM   #3205
donw
Sonar Guy

moscowexile
Hopefully some video guru's here will jump in and give a hand...
This definately sounds like either a vid driver or settings issue now...try lowering the settings...and if no joy, either see if there are newer drivers..or if you already have them...then roll back to older ones..

I know that sounds screwy...but its the only way to rule out that being the issue.
Old 02-07-08, 10:45 PM   #3206
moscowexile
Navy Dude

I tried the "write combining" adjustment: no joy.

I've tweaked and twiddled all over the PC but to no avail; I've used numerous register cleaners, sifted through the reg manually, defragmented, formatted the D drive on which my games programs are situated, reloaded Windows XP on top of the present one, and nothing has worked.

The baffling thing is that all my other games, including SH4 and the "Call of duty" and "Brothers In Arms" series, run flawlessly on my outfit; more tellingly, I believe, is that other copies of SH3 that I have (Russian versions and English ones that I bought here and used with the German language option) also run perfectly; the problem is that I can't mod these latter copies of SH3 with GWX as they are, not surprisingly, pirated copies: it is extremely difficult to find a non-pirated copy in this neck of the woods. That is why I bought a genuine SH3 last August during one of my very extremely rare visits to my homeland. This latter copy also worked flawlessly until I started my second mission last week. The publisher of that copy, "Focus", is the same that published the copy that WilyWolf reports as giving him problems.

All the above seems to indicate that it is my copy of SH3 that is at fault...

Yet I still find this hard to believe.

I'll try it out on another PC and see if it works there.

The only other thing that I can grasp at as regards solving this mystery is that my troubles started after I had loaded SH Commander, which program I immediately rolled back and deleted when this graphics hitch began.
Old 02-09-08, 02:06 AM   #3207
Jawster
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 6

Great work!
Jawster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-08, 02:15 AM   #3208
The Munster
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 2

Welcome hajopu and Jawster, enjoy the GWXperience

GWX Team Member; Retired
GWX Home Page

The Munster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-08, 10:33 AM   #3209
wsabean
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0
Default help gwx2.0

I have a problem loading gwx it keeps asking for disk and wont load can anyone tell me what im doing wrong
wsabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-08, 10:52 AM   #3210
bigboywooly
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsabean
I have a problem loading gwx it keeps asking for disk and wont load can anyone tell me what im doing wrong
Loading or installing ?
If installing make sure ALL the bin files are in the same folder as the exe

Welcome aboard

My mediafire page http://www.mediafire.com/?11eoq19bq9r41
bigboywooly is offline   Reply With Quote