Wait for UBI to remove the online DRM 761 61.52%
Not going to at all now. 137 11.08%
Voters: 1237. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-29-10, 05:52 AM   #211
bratkorv
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
I have no intention of "buying" SH5, unless UBI change it's new DRM policy (not likely).

Now is the time to make a stand. Vote with your wallet!!!! If nobody is up for the task, then why are we arguing about this in the first place?
bratkorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10, 07:45 AM   #212
Hartmann
Sea Lord

Downloads: 204

Quote:
Originally Posted by TteFAboB View Post
This online requirement is pure absurdity, or even beyond absurd, for a single-player off-line game. It wouldn't matter if the internet was available 100% of the time everywhere, for everybody, you still don't own the game, you must request authorization everytime you want to play it:

"Daddy, can I play the game, pleeeease? I purchased it myself with all the savings of my piggy bank! Pleeeeease?"

"Just a moment, sonny, let me see that proof of purchase again, you little rascal!"

I see no reason to ask Ubisoft permission to play a game that I have purchased, and I see no reason to be presumed guilty until proven innocent, and being required to prove my innocence, not once, but forever, indefinitely, to the end of times.

This is bull****. The only day I'll buy SH5 is when this insult to the customer is removed.
+1 i second that.

Keep the pressure , no quarters until DRM surrenders

She is made of iron, sir. I assure you, she can. and she will. It is a mathematical certainty.

Strength and honor
Hartmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10, 08:02 AM   #213
Gezoes
XO

Downloads: 22
So just so I understand. This is not like Empire: Total War, wich needs a Steam authentication once, and the game will play without an internet connection. Not that I've played it since, too many trademark features from the series are gone, comparable to not having several U-boat types and 1944 and 1945.

But apart from that, SH5 will need a continious internet connection instead of just once for authentication? A friend of mine (with a laptop) bought Empire and (wireless) authenticated at my place, then he could play at home, without internet.

Empire was a disaster, but as I understand it now, SH5 will always need internet? Not just for authentication or DLC. So one hickup and wammo, game crashes, stops? Surely that cannot be the case. Steam isn't that bad, although hell for modding, but at least one can play the game offline. And won't this DRM check our version, so say we have a couple of mods, it will detect it as an 'illegal' version?

I have a bad feeling about this. I'm not being deliberately negative, it's just that I've seen too many bad examples in gameland. This doesn't bode well.
Old 01-29-10, 08:07 AM   #214
stabiz
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 14

Yup, you need internet connection all the time to play.
Old 01-29-10, 08:21 AM   #215
Gezoes
XO

Downloads: 22

Thanks, I see. Well, that's the nail that settles it. My connection is great but if only out of principle for others: That's a no-go

And don't worry about future SH-installments or expansions, and/or our cancellations bothering their balance. Empire sold like crazy. The PR hit the Creative Assembly and Sega took by the criticism is quite substantial though.
Old 01-29-10, 08:43 AM   #216
Nikita
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 119

It seems Silent Hunter series ends here. One minute silence, please.
Nikita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10, 09:25 AM   #217
Mikhayl
Captain

Downloads: 64

Documentary about French submarine Casabianca:
http://videos.tf1.fr/reportages/des-...r-4461601.html

Go to 21:00 and see what the guys are doing when off-duty
Mikhayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10, 09:47 AM   #218
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

22.650 $ lost by UBI already
Old 01-29-10, 09:54 AM   #219
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
22.650 $ lost by UBI already
Huh!?
Old 01-29-10, 09:57 AM   #220
Letum
Navy Seal

Downloads: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis View Post
Huh!?
It's the product of people who arn't buying and game price.
Old 01-29-10, 10:01 AM   #221
Kremmen
Torpedoman

Downloads: 138

Was gonna get SH5 as soon as it came out but with this Digital Restriction Management in place....'fraid not.
As some others have mentioned what happens if you install a mod,does that mean your game will be seen as an unauthorized version and won't function ?
Do the suits at Ubi not see what the modders have done with SH3 & 4,how they have fixed a lot of problems,added new content and taken the game so much further and have given us superb subsims with far greater longevity than the stock game ?
I really hope Ubi take note of all the negativity expressed throughout the whole community and rethink their whole DRM stance and present us with a sim that lets us sail without the need for a net connection,allows the modders in to do their thing and allows us to move forward unhindered.
However if not,I still have SH3 & 4 in all their modded goodness to keep me afloat a long time yet.

One proud dinosaur
Kremmen

Kremmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10, 11:38 AM   #222
jerm138
Watch Officer

Downloads: 35

I have a continuous internet connection, so it wouldn't really affect me... but (and I know this might be hard for some people to understand) I'm not just only concerned about ME! There are a lot of people who this will negatively affect, and for that reason, I'm not supporting this with my wallet.

So many people take the stance of "get with the times." But that's like saying that I have to have an iPod in order to play my new guitar. Sure, a good percentage of musicians have an iPod, but that doesn't justify making my new instrument useless unless I "get with the times" and pay for something that isn't really necessary to make it work.
Old 01-29-10, 11:42 AM   #223
kipper
Watch

Downloads: 7

I'll won't buy (been playing since SH1). I prefer games that I have on my shelf... that way there's no need to hope for an ICT miracle (100% access to a remote server guaranteed for a lifetime!!!!).
kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10, 11:43 AM   #224
Doolan
Torpedoman

Downloads: 16

I'll be sincere, I have never been an activist in this sense. I accepted and even welcomed Steam, and I'm aware that the vast majority of gamers nowadays have an internet connection 24 / 7, so that kind of activation has never stopped me from making a purchase.

But there are limits.

As other users have pointed out, Steam is a different thing altogether. You have to activate online once, and check for patches now and then, with a little connection here and there to refresh its memory. It's also the leading online distribution service, with rock-solid servers that have never let me down.

But Ubi? Give me a break. I find it annoying enough to need a different account for every different service every different company ends up making, only to remove it some time later. Most games I have played that went for online DRM ended up removing it, except for Steam-based ones, when they noticed that they just couldn't handle the kind of server uptime required for it. I'll never understand why every company tries and tries when there's already a service of choice and they are not going to beat it. If anyone remembers the shoddy port of GTA IV to the PC, it requred authenticating in THREE different services (Steam, Windows Live and Rockstar Cafe) before playing.

Ubi's servers, login services and matchmaking apps for multiplayer games have worked pretty miserably for me in the past, and such a service simply can't compete with Steam. It's bound to fail at some point.

But of course they couldn't stop there: they also want to host our savegames, and to check for activation upon every launch.

This kind of draconic DRM kept me from purchasing Knigths of the Sky. Even their goddang demo had it. It also kept me from buying X3 until they ate humble pie and moved to Steam, where I recently bought it.

I'm a very big fan of the Silent Hunter series, but this time I'm not buying until they remove the DRM, make it more reasonable or switch to Steam like everyone else.
Doolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10, 12:02 PM   #225
Marka Ragnos
Weps

Downloads: 184

Wait for UBI to remove the online DRM!