SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-13-15, 10:18 PM   #1636
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Just about halfway through this insightful tome mailed to me by an old college buddy...I had given him my copy of Dreadnought

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-15, 12:41 AM   #1637
frankiekam
Seaman

Downloads: 176

Summary: U-864 secret mission cracked by British code-breakers. Hunted by UK sub. Sunk by UK sub. Discovered in 2003 of Norway leaking Mercury. Not yet raised. Cliff hanging stuff this read. Cor blimey.
frankiekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-15, 10:03 PM   #1638
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I've finally managed to work my through The Line Of Battle, along with several light books about WW1 fighters. Now I'm taking a brief break with Arthur Conan Doyle's A Study In Scarlet, the original Sherlock Holmes book. I plan on watching the entire Jeremy Brett TV series with the new year, and reading the short stories at the same time, just to compare how faithful the shows really were.
Old 12-29-15, 02:24 AM   #1639
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Faithful or not, they're really good.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-15, 07:30 AM   #1640
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
I plan on watching the entire Jeremy Brett TV series with the new year
It's not complete steve two of the long stories not there and a percentage of the short stories in his 3rd and 4th installment are not there. I think it's more due to Jeremy Brett health he suffered from deep depression and other medical complications. when you watch him in the early stories full of energy and lack luster at the end. That aside Steve it is a great series well worth watching, I got the complete box set and watch it other year. Charles Grey is Mycroft holmes is brilliant, you will see two different actors at John Watson. I think you will enjoy it steve and Jeremy Brett is truely the best Sherlock Holmes.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!

Last edited by STEED; 12-29-15 at 07:35 AM.
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-15, 10:02 AM   #1641
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
It's not complete steve two of the long stories not there and a percentage of the short stories in his 3rd and 4th installment are not there.
I'm well aware of that. A Study In Scarlet was never filmed, and their version of The Sign Of Four changes the part where Watson meets his future wife, and in half of the short stories Holmes and Watson do not live together. Also His Last Bow, with an old Sherlock helping catch a spy in the First World War.

Quote:
That aside Steve it is a great series well worth watching, I got the complete box set and watch it other year.
I guess I worded my original post poorly. I've seen the entire series more than once. This is the first time in about twenty years.

Quote:
Jeremy Brett is truely the best Sherlock Holmes.
I heartily agree, though I am a huge fan of the new series Sherlock.
Old 12-29-15, 10:35 AM   #1642
Kptlt. Neuerburg
Admiral

Downloads: 54

Got it for Christmas and started reading it after I finished re-reading War in the Boats for the hundreth time. It's interesting and gives a good look into the mind of a Fleet Boat skipper. After this it's on to reading Thunder Below! or The Burma Campaign.
Old 12-29-15, 12:45 PM   #1643
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

One of my xmas pressies...

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-15, 04:51 AM   #1644
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

My Christmas present:

Death's Division (Rus. Gibel Divizii) by Anatoli Gordijenko.

It is a partly novelized account of politruk Nikolai I. Klimov, who was stuck with the 18th Infantry Division inside the Lemetti 'motti' during the Winter War.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-16, 06:09 PM   #1645
Subnuts
The Old Man

Downloads: 14

I recently finished reading this:

For a self-published book it's exceptionally good. Very lucid descriptions of how everything works, excellent photographs, and lots of detailed plans and diagrams. Just wish it had more about the actual missile...

I wrote a review for Amazon if anyone is interested:
https://www.amazon.com/review/RVTEZK...cm_cr_rdp_perm

Subnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-16, 02:44 AM   #1646
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

I read your review, and it does look very interesting.

How much technical detail about the performance of the missile is included? I am thinking of range, throw weight, thrust, accuracy, etc.

I bought a book about the V-2 some time ago, but was disappointed in how little technical information was given. The author devoted that book to the politics and development of the weapon.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-16, 09:17 AM   #1647
Subnuts
The Old Man

The majority of the book actually describes a Titan II missile complex (silo, launch control center, access portal, and blast lock) and it's topside facilities. The chapter covering the missile is only 25 pages long, but has a number of interesting photographs and diagrams. There's a decent specification sheet in the back of the book giving the information you're looking for, along with the five-foot foldout blueprint I mentioned in the review.

I've heard that "Titan II: A History of a Cold War Missile Program" gives more details on the actual missile, but it is rather expensive.

Last edited by Subnuts; 01-04-16 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-07-16, 09:10 AM   #1648
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Herodotus - The Histories. A new 2013 translation by Tom Holland. Widely regarded as the first actual history book, using and citing sources. Also acknowledged as being suspect in much of its factuality, the author himself said he only wrote down what he was told, so even he admitted it might not all be true.

Written over a twenty-year-or-more period, the final chapters are believed to have been published around 430 B.C. The Histories are the primary source on the Battle of Thermopylae (480 B.C.), including the story of the 300 Spartans.

I've only read bits and pieces of previous translations, which can be somewhat tedious. So far I've read the introduction and preface, and this version looks like it might be entertaining.
Old 01-07-16, 12:51 PM   #1649
CTU_Clay
The Lone Wolf

Downloads: 315
Default Reading

I keep coming back to reading:

1. "The U-Boat Wars" by Edwin P. Holt
2. "U-Boat: the secret menace" by David Mason

Real interesting stuff in these two books.

“Keep your eyes on the stars, and your feet on the ground.” .
CTU_Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-16, 05:33 PM   #1650
Subnuts
The Old Man

I recently finished "Ships for All Nations: John Brown & Company Clydebank 1847-1971." A very interesting book, although a little dry in places. Lots of wonderful vintage photographs, maps, and illustrations. I've written a more in-depth review at Amazon if anyone is interested: http://www.amazon.com/review/R1IN5QP...SIN=1848322674

I should point out that I saved about $10 by purchasing a "new/used" copy of the Seaforth edition through an Amazon seller in the UK, rather than the Naval Institute edition. It obviously took a bit longer to get here, but I'm a cheap bastard, so...

Tags
books