Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-01-15, 01:13 PM   #826
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

June 1:

I don't have the exact dates, but sometime in late May/early June the first FE.2a is delivered to No. 6 Squadron, RFC.

Also sometime around this date Hellmuth von Mucke was appointed to command the 15th Torpedoboote Half-Flotilla.

Quote:
"Have had quite a number of thrills since I wrote you last. Yesterday afternoon I reached an altitude of 10,400 feet on my Avro an a reconnaissance, which is my height record so far.

In the evening we had a 'phone message, 'Stand by to attack Zeppelin,' and on looking out, there it was as large as life a few miles out to sea and very high. we rushed up to the aerodrome and got off by 8.40 p.m. I went straight out to sea after it and got to 6000 feet in 15 minutes, but was never within ten miles of the thing. I wasn't overtaking it at all, but on the contrary it was gaining on me, and after half an hour I lost sight of it. The sun, of course, was right down by now and I steered home by various lights on shore, for the coast was quite invisible. Had some difficulty in picking out the aerodrome, although huge petrol flares were out, but made quite a good landing. I came in very flat but never saw the ground at all. I touched it when I thought I was still 50 feet up, and also caught the top of the hedge coming into the aerodrome - it was most deceptive.

We next had some dinner, but mine was spoilt through a message from the Commander, which contained instructions for me to drop bombs on an airship shed at Gontrode, near Ghent. The moon rose soon after midnight and at 1.30 a.m. I started off. things in general have a most depressing aspect at that hour of the morning. I went out to sea via Zeebrugge, and then cut inland. When I arrived at the place there was a thick ground mist and dawn was just breaking. I could not see the sheds at all, but two searchlights were going hard. I half circled round, when lo! and behold! I sighted the Zeppelin coming home over Zeebrugge. I turned off due east to avoid being seen, intending to wait until he came down and then catching him sitting. But my luck was out. One of the searchlights picked me up, and anti-aircraft guns immediately opened fire on me.

Then a curious thing happened. The Zeppelin sighted me (I think the searchlights were signalling) and immediately came for me. This was the tables turned on me with a vengeance, and the very last thing I ever dreamt of. It was a regular nightmare. I was only 6000 feet up, and the Zepp, which was very fast, must have been ten. without being able to get above it, I was, of course, helpless and entirely at the mercy of his maxim guns. I don't think I have been so disconcerted for a long time. We had 'some' race! He tried to cut me off from Holland, but I got across his bows. He was a huge big thing, most imposing, and turned rapidly with the greatest of ease. I hung around north of Ghent, climbing hard, and reached 8,500 feet, but the Zepp wasn't having any. He wasn't coming down while I was there, and I, on the other hand, couldn't get up to him, as he had risen to some fabulous height, so after a bit I pushed off home feeling very discontened at such an unsatisfactory ending. What else could I do? I wasn't going back on the chance of spotting the sheds, with anti-aircraft guns waiting for me below and a Zepp ready to pounce on me from above.

I disposed of my bombs in the sea before landing, and got back after three hours in the air - eventually got to bed at something after 6 a.m. Have been in to see the Commander to-day, and he was kind enough to tell me I had done all that was possible. He also gave ma a little job, which necessitates my getting away soon after midnight to-night. Pray the Lord my engine holds out!

P.S. - I hear the Zepp dropped bombs at _____. I must have followed him half-way across."
-Harold Rosher, letter to his father, June 1 1915

Celtic Sea: Claus Rücker, Commanding U-34, opens his second war patrol attempting to stop the British trawler Victoria, but the fishing vessel tries to run. Rücker then sinks the trawler with his deck gun. He now has 4 ships and 11,805 tons.

North Sea: Erich Haecker in UB-6 sinks the British steamer SS Saidieh, inbound from Alexandria to Hull with a cargo of cottonseed and onions. This gives Haecker 2 ships for 3,638 tons.

British East Africa: The tug Blackcock is only able to make about 2 knots towing HMS Severn alone. Captain Fullerton orders Revenger and Sarah Joliffe to tow Mersey at best speed to Chacke Chacke harbour at Pemba Island. At 0530 hours the rest of the convoy can see in the dawn the two tugs and monitor stopped in the distance. As the convoy closes they can see that both tugs are flying the flag signals "Aground". Fullerton takes Trent ahead at full speed and anchors as close to the tugs and monitor as the big liner can safely get. Fullerton and Mersey's skipper Lt. Commander Wilson take a motorboat to the tugs, to find Sarah Joliffe aground on a reef and Revenger floating free but with her tow line snagged in the coral. Mersey has about seven inches under her keel and the tide is going out. Fullerton orders Kendal Castle to take over towing Severn and Blackcock to attempt to rescue Mersey. Captain Weir takes his tug in as close as he dare get without going aground himself, and Blackcock pulls the monitor stern-first into deep water. Revenger's snagged line is freed, and she stays with Sarah Joliffe while the rest of the convoy moves south to Chake Chake. At 1420 hours Admiral King-Hall in HMS Hyacinth arrives with coal for the tugs, along with T.A. Joliffe to help with the towing. The convoy continues slowly while the two tugs are taking on coal.

All these operations take place in pouring rain.
Old 06-02-15, 01:59 PM   #827
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

2nd June 1915

Eastern Front

Austro-German attack on Przemsyl.

Austrians beaten on the Dniester at Mikolajow.

Naval and Overseas Operations

North Sea
Arethusa, light cruiser, Arethusa-class, broad pendant, Harwich Force, on patrol with Undaunted on the lookout out for Zeppelins attacking England, light cruisers each carrying a seaplane. Sighted Zeppelin, seaplane took off but forced to return, opened fire on Zeppelin which made off. Several hours later, German seaplane came out of the clouds and dropped three bombs without hitting Arethusa.

Political etc.

German Ambassador Bernstorff meets with President Wilson to discuss Germany’s unrestricted submarine campaign.

Venice moves the Four Horses of St. Mark’s to a safer location due to Austro-Hungarian air raids.

Kitchener, British Secretary of State for War, is appointed as Knight of the Order of the Garter.

Germany announces that it has captured more than 300,000 Russian prisoners during the month of May.

Ottoman troops outside the Sultan’s Palace in Constantinople.

Ship Losses:

Cubano ( Norway): The cargo ship was shelled and sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 15 nautical miles (28 km) north east of the Flannan Isles, Outer Hebrides, United Kingdom (58°25′N 7°40′W) by SM U-35 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Cyrus ( Denmark): The cargo ship was sunk in the North Sea (56°45′N 2°00′E by SM U-14 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Delta B ( Belgium): The fishing vessel was shelled and sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 12 nautical miles (22 km) south south west of the Isles of Scilly, United Kingdom (49°40′N 6°30′W) by SM U-34 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Hirose ( United Kingdom): The trawler was shelled and sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 32 nautical miles (59 km) west of the Isles of Scilly (49°50′N 7°10′W) by SM U-34 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Salvador ( Denmark): The sailing vessel was stopped and sunk in the North Sea 7 nautical miles (13 km) south west of Sumburgh Head, Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom by SM U-19 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Soeborg ( Denmark): The cargo ship was reported to have been torpedoed and sunk in the North Sea 65 nautical miles (120 km) off the Farne Islands, Northumberland, United Kingdom.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-15, 02:44 PM   #828
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

June 2:

Quote:
"Dear Mum,
Just a line to let you know how I fared last night. I left the aerodrome in the moonlight at one in the morning and I did not at all relish it. I went out to sea past Zeebrugge and cut in over Northern Belgium. Could see the lights of Flushing quite plainly, but it was quite hopeless to find my destination, owing to a thick ground mist, so I returned, dropping my bombs on Blankenberghe on the way. I was only away 1 3/4 hours, and it was just getting light as I got back. I landed with the help of flares and got to bed by 4 a.m.
Love to all.
Ever your loving son, Harold."
-Harold Rosher, letter to his mother, June 2, 1915
Air War: Sometime in early June No. 6 squadron recieves their first Bristol Scout C. As senior flying officer Lanoe Hawker lays claim to the aircraft. Unwilling to face a recurrence of Louis Strange's escapade in the Martinsyde, the pair begin working on a new gun mounting. Strange concieves the idea of mounting the gun on the port side of the cockpit, angled out 30 degrees to clear the propeller. Hawker, who has a background in engineering, starts making the device.

North Atlantic, west of the Outer Hebrides, Scotland: Waldemar Kophamel, commanding U-35, captures the Norwegian freighter SS Cubano, 4,352 tons, outbound from Christiania to India with a general cargo, and sinks her with the deck gun.

Celtic Sea: Claus Rücker, in U-34, catches the Belgian trawler Delta B, 220 tons, and British trawler Hirose, 274 tons. Delta B is sunk with the boat's deck gun, and Hirose is scuttled.

North Sea: Max Hammerle, commanding U-14, sinks the Danish freighter SS Cyrus, bound from Burntisland to Copenhagen with a load of coal.

Constantin Kolbe, in U-19, begins his second patrol by stopping and sinking the Danish sailing vessel Salvador, travelling from Gothenburg to Bideford with a load of wood.

British East Africa: At 0520 in the tug T.A. Joliffe is secured alongside HMS Hyacinth for coaling. At 0600 Blackcock does the same. At 0735 the job is finished, and at 0810 the tugs proceed out of the harbour.

During the night the high tide allowed Sarah Joliffe to float off the reef with no serious damage, and at 1245 she and Revenger tie up to Hyacinth for their turn. Revenger takes on coal, but Sarah Joliffe only needs water. At 1345 the tugs cast off and at 1500 the three are underway at ten knots to catch up with the other ships.

At 1800 the cruiser and two tugs catch up with the other two tugs and proceed southward. It is still pouring rain.
Old 06-03-15, 09:39 AM   #829
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

3rd June 1915

Western Front

British take trenches at Givenchy.

Eastern Front

Austro-Germans retake Przemsyl. More the 36,000 Russian soldiers are taken prisoner.

Southern Front

Dardanelles: Turkish attack repulsed at Gallipoli.

Aviation

29 French aircraft conducts an early morning raid against the headquarters of Germany’s Crown Prince, dropping 178 bombs.

Naval

Mesopotamian Campaign - British-Indian forces advancing up the River Tigris from Kurnah/Al Qurnah captured Amara (note: not Kut al Imara/Amara or just Kut), sloops Clio, Espiegle, Lawrence (RIM) and Odin, armed tug Comet, armed launches Lewis Pelly, Miner, Shaitan, Sumana and stern wheelers Muzaffari/Mozaffir, Shushan took part.
Townshend sends the launch Shaitan ahead to ascertain whether Al 'Amarah is fortified. Although he has only a hundred sailors and soldiers in his company and is vastly outnumbered, Townshend bluffs. The town and a battalion of Turkish troops stationed there surrender.
General Townshend

Asiatic and Egyptian Theatres

Capitulation of Amara (Mesopotamia) to the British.

Political, etc.

Bill to create Ministry of Munitions introduced.

David Lloyd George, the new Minister of Munitions, warns that “Britain must equip or die.”

Estimates reveal that France has spent around $132 (about $3092 today) a second on the war.

Republic of San Marino declares war on the Empire of Austria-Hungary.

Ship Losses:

Boy Horace ( United Kingdom): The fishing smack was scuttled in the North Sea 50 nautical miles (93 km) south east of Lowestoft, Suffolk by SM UB-16 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Chrysoprasus ( United Kingdom): The fishing vessel was shelleded and sunk in the North Sea 45 nautical miles (83 km) east north east of Papa Westray, Orkney Islands by SM U-19 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Dogberry ( United Kingdom): The trawler was stopped and scuttled in the North Sea 25 nautical miles (46 km) east of Fair Isle by SM U-19 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
E & C ( United Kingdom): The fishing smack was scuttled in the North Sea 40 nautical miles (74 km) south east by east of Lowestoft (51°49′N 2°49′E) by SM UB-16 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Economy ( United Kingdom): The fishing smack was scuttled in the North Sea 50 nautical miles (93 km) south east of Lowestoft by SM UB-16 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Ena May ( United Kingdom): The trawler was shelled and sunk in the North Sea 66 nautical miles (122 km) south west by south of Sumburgh Head, Aberdeenshire by SM U-19 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Iona ( United Kingdom): The cargo ship was torpedoed and sunk in the North Sea 22 nautical miles (41 km) south east of Fair Isle (59°13′N 1°12′W) by SM U-19 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Kathleen ( United Kingdom): The drifter was captured and scuttled in the North Sea 40 nautical miles (74 km) east south east of Papa Stronsay Orkney Islands by SM U-19 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Lappland ( Sweden): The cargo ship was torpedoed and sunk in the North Sea off Peterhead, Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom by SM U-14 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Penfeld ( France): The coaster was sunk in the Bay of Biscay 50 nautical miles (93 km) north west of Ouessant, Finistère by SM U-34 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Strathbran ( United Kingdom): The trawler was shelled and sunk in the North Sea 35 nautical miles (65 km) east south east of the Pentland Skerries by SM U-19 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Virginia ( Greece): The cargo ship struck a mine and sank in the Adriatic Sea off Trieste, Friuli-Venezia Giulia, Italy.

Old 06-03-15, 10:25 AM   #830
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

June 3:

Air War: Leutnant Max Immelmann is flying an LVG B.I with an unnamed observer on a photo reconnaissance mission when they are attacked by a French Farman MF.11 armed with a machine gun. Immelmann's plane is shot down but he manages to make it back to his own side of the lines before landing. For this he is awarded the Iron Cross 2nd Class.

Celtic Sea: Claus Rücker, captain of U-34, sinks French freighter Penfeld, 793 tons, bound from Nantes to Cardiff with an unnamed cargo. His score is now 6 ships and 12,818 tons

North Sea: Max Hammerle, commanding U-14, torpedoes and sinks Swedish freighter SS Lappland, 2,238 tons, carrying a load of iron ore from Narvik to Middlesbrough.

Constantin Kolbe, in U-19, sinks a series of fishing boats and trawlers - Salvador, Danish fishing boat, 165 tons, British boats Chrysoprasus, 119 tons, Dogberry, 214 tons, Ena May, 90 tons, Kathleen, 92 tons, and Strathbran, 163 tons. Kolbe also sinks the British freighter Iona, 3,344 tons, travelling from Middlesbrough to Montreal with a general cargo. His score now stands at 8 ships and 5,488 tons.

Hans Valentiner begins his U-boat career in UB-16, capturing and scuttling three British fishing smacks - Boy Horace, 69 tons, E&C, 60 tons, and Economy, 69 tons.

German East Africa: A little less than three months after leaving Britain the monitors' convoy arrives at Mafia Island. By 1800 hours Trent is at anchor with Mersey and Severn tied up on either side. Before they can be sent into action they will have to be unbattened. The metal plates will have to be removed from the hatches and portholes, the breakers removed from the bow, and all the loosened rivets refastened. Then will come the gunnery drills to get the crews back in shape. It will still be some weeks before the two monitors are ready to face Königsberg.
Old 06-04-15, 08:02 AM   #831
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

4th June 1915

Southern Front

British and French forces begin bombarding Ottoman lines to capture the village of Krithia in Gallipoli.

Aviation

Zeppelin raid on east coast.

First flight of the Marinens Flyvebaatfabrikk M.F.1.

Political, etc.

Mr. Lloyd George speaks at Liverpool on the output of munitions.

Kaiser Wilhelm visits Archduke Friedrich, Supreme Commander of the Austro-Hungarian Army, to celebrate the Archduke’s birthday.

President Wilson’s cabinet becomes divided on how harsh the U.S. demands to Germany should be on submarine warfare issue.

Ship Losses:

Casabianca ( French Navy): The D'Iberville-class cruiser was sunk by the explosion of one of her mines in the Gulf of Smyrna.[24] There are 86 killed and 66 survivors.
Cortes ( United Kingdom): The trawler was scuttledin the North Sea 68 nautical miles (126 km) east north east of Wick, Caithness by SM U-19 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Dunnet Head ( United Kingdom): The coaster was torpedoed and sunk in the North Sea 35 nautical miles (65 km) east by south of Dunnet Head, Caithness (58°42′N 1°55′W) by SM U-19 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Ebenezer ( United Kingdom): The trawler was sunk in the North Sea 117 nautical miles (217 km) south south west of the Out Skerries, Shetland Islands (58°31′N 1°21′W) by SM U-19 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Evening Star ( United Kingdom): The trawler was shelled and sunk in the North Sea 68 nautical miles (126 km) east north east of Wick by SM U-19 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Explorer ( United Kingdom): The trawler was shelled and sunk in the North Sea 73 nautical miles (135 km) north east by north of Buchan Ness, Aberdeenshire by SM U-19 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
George & Mary ( United Kingdom): The schooner was shelled and sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 15 nautical miles (28 km) south west of Eagle Island, County Mayo by SM U-35 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Inkum ( United Kingdom): The cargo ship was torpedoed and sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 40 nautical miles (74 km) south west of The Lizard, Cornwall (49°25′N 6°35′W) by SM U-34 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Petrel ( United Kingdom): The trawler was shelled and sunk in the North Sea 55 nautical miles (102 km) north east of Buchan Ness by SM U-19 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Yenisei ( Imperial Russian Navy): The Amur-class minelayer was sunk in the Baltic Sea (59°10′N 23°43′E) by SM U-26 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.

Old 06-04-15, 10:11 AM   #832
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

June 4:

North Atlantic Ocean, off the west coast of Ireland: Waldemar Kophamel, commanding U-35, captures British schooner George & Mary, 100 tons, carrying a load of scrap iron and lead from Tralee to Glasgow, and sinks her with the deck gun. His score is now 5 ships and 6,638 tons.

Celtic Sea: Claus Rücker, in U-34, sinks the British freighter SS Inkum, 4,747 tons, bound from New York to London with a general cargo. This brings his score to 7 ships and 17,565 tons.

North Sea: Constantin Kolbe in U-19 attacks another fishing fleet, sinking trawlers Cortes, 174 tons, Ebenezer, 113 tons, Evening Star, 156 tons, Explorer, 156 tons, and Petrel, 182 tons, as well as the small steamer SS Dunnet Head, 343 tons, heading in ballast from Baltasound to Arboath. His score is now 14 ships and 2,682 tons.

Baltic Sea: Egewulf von Berckheim, in U-26, sinks the Russian minelayer Yenisei, 3,600 tons. This gives him 12 ships and 12,224 tons.

German East Africa: HMS Mersey's log records that work is begun breaking down the wooden braces in the mess decks and the breakwater on the forward deck. Also a working party is sent from HMS Hyacinth.
Old 06-05-15, 06:51 AM   #833
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

5th June 1915

Western Front

Fighting continues north of Arras.

German counter-attacks on French east of Lorette Ridge repulsed.

Naval and Overseas Operations

U.14 sunk by trawler Oceanic II in North Sea off Peterhead.

Atlantic off SW Ireland
Inawilliam, or Ina Williams, Admiralty trawler, 337/1913, hired 4/15, 1-12pdr, Sub-Lt Nettleingham RNR, steaming towards Cahirmore Signal Station, few miles west of Berehaven. Large submarine came to the surface 1 or 2 miles away on port beam, Inawilliam, now 11 miles W of Mizen Head, headed for the U-boat which fired 4 or 5 rounds, then a torpedo which just missed, trawler fired back, hit her once or twice as she submerged and escaped.

Italian fleet bombards lighthouses and stations on the islands of the Dalmatian Archipelago, and Monfalcone.

3rd Battle of Krithia ends in an Ottoman victory as Allied troops fail to capture the village.

Political, etc.

Prime Minister Asquith finishes a four day tour of the British forces in France and returns to London.

Mr. Winston Churchill speaks at Dundee on the Dardanelles expedition.

New York State Government estimates that a million people have or will leave the state as immigrants are recalled to Europe to fight.

Ship Losses:

Adolf ( Russia): The schooner was sunk in the North Sea 30 nautical miles (56 km) off Rattray Head, Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom by SM U-19 ( Kaiserliche Marine) with the loss of two of her six crew.
Bardolph ( United Kingdom): The trawler was shelled and sunk in the North Sea 115 nautical miles (213 km) south by west of Sumburgh Head, Shetland Islands by SM U-19 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Curlew ( United Kingdom): The trawler was shelled and sunk in the North Sea 40 nautical miles (74 km) east of Peterhead, Aberdeenshire by SM U-19 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Fantassin ( French Navy): The Chasseur-class destroyer was rammed and damaged in the Ionian Sea by Mameluck ( French Navy). She was consequently scuttled by Fauconneau ( French Navy).
Gazehound ( United Kingdom): The trawler was shelled and sunk in the North Sea 40 nautical miles (74 km) east of Peterhead by SM U-19 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Japonica ( United Kingdom): The trawler was shelled and sunk in the North Sea 45 nautical miles (83 km) east of Kinnaird Head, Aberdeenshire by SM U-19 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Persimon ( United Kingdom): The trawler was shelled and sunk in the North Sea 50 nautical miles (93 km) east north east of Peterhead by SM U-19 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
SM U-14 ( Kaiserliche Marine): The Type U 13 submarine was shelled and sunk in the North Sea off Peterhead, United Kingdom by HMT Oceanic II ( Royal Navy) with the loss of one of her 28 crew.

Old 06-05-15, 10:11 AM   #834
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

June 5:

Quote:
"Babbington went home some days ago and Sippe is now in charge here. He has been unwell the last three days, so I am left in command of the station - four officers under me, over 30 men, machines, and seven or eight motors of various descriptions.

Have hopes of being given a Nieuport in a day or so. They are fast scouts, supposed to do over 90 miles per hour, and should get a Zepp with one with any luck. Don't know when I am rejoining Babbington."
-Harold Rosher, letter to his father, June 5, 1915

Air War: French pilot Maxime Alberte Lenoir, flying a Caudron with a "Lt. River" as observer, is credited with his first victory when they shoot down an Aviatik two-seater.

North Sea: Constain Kolbe, commanding U-19, attacks another fishing fleet, sinking the trawlers Bardolph, 215 tons, Curlew, 134 tons, Gazehound, 138 tons, Persimon, 255 tons, and Star Of The West, 197 tons. He also sinks the Russian sailing ship Adolf, 169 tons, carrying a load of salt from Middelsbrough to Arkhangelsk.

Max Hammerle, in U-14, approaches the British trawler Oceanic II. He fires a warning shot, intending to allow the crew to abandon ship before sinking her. In this case, however, the trawler is armed, and immediately opens fire. Hammerle orders an emergency dive, but a damaged flood valve prevents the boat from going down. More trawlers arrive on the scene and one of them, Hawk, rams the helpless u-boat. Hammerle orders the crew to abandon ship. Twenty-seven of them survive, the only fatality being Hammerle himself.

German East Africa: HMS Mersey's log notes that the crew are busy hoisting timber out of the monitor onto Trent, while the gunners are clearing and overhauling their guns.
Old 06-06-15, 08:31 AM   #835
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

6th June 1915

Eastern Front

Enemy cross the Dniester at Zurawno, and continue their advance east of Przemsyl.

Aviation

Zeppelin raid on east coast (26 killed, 40 injured).

H.G. Hawker, Australian aviator, breaks the altitude record in Britain by climbing to 20,000 feet (6.1km).

Naval

Aegean Sea
IMMINGHAM, Admiralty store carrier, ex-passenger steamer, 2,083/1906, Great Central Railway, Grimsby-reg, hired as accommodation ship 10/14, RFA store carrier from 4/15, Pennant No.Y8.50, described as "errand boy" between Imbros island and Mudros during Gallipoli campaign. In collision with hired screw minesweeper Reindeer 1,101grt, sank off Mudros, Lemnos island. Owners claimed £100,000 compensation but only awarded £45,000 by the Admiralty.

Political

German government orders U-boat commanders not to sink passenger liners without warning, even those under enemy flags.

British court dismisses government charges against the London “Times” that it divulged military secrets in its reporting.

King Constantine of Greece is in critical condition due to illness. His temperature is recorded at 40C (104F).

Count Leopold von Berchtold, former Austro-Hungarian Foreign Minister, offers his services as a volunteer driver on the Italian Front.

Ship Losses:

Arctic ( United Kingdom): The trawler was shelled and sunk in the North Sea 77 nautical miles (143 km) south east by south of Spurn Head, Yorkshire by SM U-19 ( Kaiserliche Marine) with the loss of four of her nine crew. Survivors were rescued by the trawler Jurassic ( United Kingdom).
Dromio ( United Kingdom): The trawler was scuttled in the North Sea 35 nautical miles (65 km) north east by east of Buchan Ness, Aberdeenshire by SM U-19 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
HMS Immingham ( Royal Navy): The stores carrier was lost in the Mediterranean Sea on this date.
Star of the West ( United Kingdom): The trawler was shelled and sunk in the North Sea off Peterhead, Aberdeenshire by SM U-19 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew were rescued by the trawler Shamrock ( United Kingdom).
Sunlight ( United Kingdom): The barque was torpedoed and sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 20 nautical miles (37 km) south west of Galley Head, County Cork by SM U-35 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived; they were rescued by the trawler Indian Empire.

Old 06-06-15, 08:58 AM   #836
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

June 6:

Celtic Sea, south of Ireland: Waldemar Kophamel, commanding U-35, captures and sinks the steel barque Sunlight, 1,433 tons, carrying a load of molasses from Macoris to Glasgow.

North Sea: Constantin Kolbe, in U-19, captures and sinks two more trawlers - Japonica, 145 tons, and Dromio, 208 tons. The attack on Japonica must have come around midnight, since U-19's KTB has it listed as early on the 6th but British sources say late on the 5th, hence the discrepancy between listings here.

German East Africa: At Mafia Island HMS Mersey has a party busy pumping out water, the gunners are overhauling their guns, and the rest of the crew are setting up armour plating on the boat deck.
Old 06-07-15, 07:17 AM   #837
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

7th June 1915

Western Front

French offensive near Hebuterne.

French progress north of Africa.

Repeated German counter-attacks repulsed north of the Aisne.

Aviation

Flight Sub-Lieutenant Warneford destroys a Zeppelin LZ 37 between Ghent and Brussels and is awarded the Victoria Cross.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01qb4mm
Quote:
No. 1 Naval Aeroplane Squadron, 8th June 1915, official report by Flight Sub-Lieutenant Reginald Warneford
I left Furnes at 1:00 am on 7th June 1915 on Morane No. 3253 under orders to look for Zeppelins and attack the Berchem St Agathe Airship Shed with six 20 lb bombs.
On arriving at Dixmude at 1:15 am, I observed a Zeppelin apparently over Ostend and proceeded in chase of the same. I arrived at close quarters a few miles past Bruges at 1:50 am and the Airship opened heavy maxim fire, so I retreated to gain height and the Airship turned and followed me.

At 2:15 am it stopped firing and 2:25 am I came behind, but well above the Zeppelin; height then 11,000 feet, and switched off my engine to descend on top of him. When close above him at 7,000 feet altitude I dropped my bombs, and, whilst relasing the last, there was an explosition which lifted my machine and turned it over. The aeroplane was out of control for a short period, went into a nose dive, but control was regained. I then saw the Zeppelin was on the ground in flames.

The joint on my petrol pipe and pump from the back tank was broken and at about 2:40 am I was forced to land in enemy territory to repair my pump. I made preparations to set the machine on fire, but was not observed, so was able to effect a repair of the aircraft and after considerable difficulty in starting my engine single handed, was able to take off and head in a South Westerly direction.

I tried several times to find my whereabouts but was unable to do so, so I eventually landed and discovered I was at Cape Gris Nez, where I was given petrol by French soldiers. When the weather cleared I was able to proceed and arrived back at my Aerodrome about 10:30 am.
Quote:
For the award of the Victoria Cross.

[ London Gazette, 11 June 1915 ], Over Ghent, Belgium, 7 June 1915, Flight Sub-Lieutenant Reginald Alexander John Warneford, Royal Navy ( 1 Squadron, Royal Naval Air Service ).

For most conspicuous bravery on the 7th June 1915, when he attacked and, single-handed, completely destroyed a Zeppelin in mid-air.
This brilliant achievement was accomplished after chasing the Zeppelin from the coast of Flanders to Ghent, where he succeeded in dropping his bombs on to it from a height of only one or two hundred feet. One of these bombs caused a terrific explosion which set the Zeppelin on fire from end to end, but at the same time overturned his Aeroplane and stopped the engine.

In spite of this he succeeded in landing safely in hostile country, and after 15 minutes started his engine and returned to his base without damage.

Naval

German Minefield - Auxiliary minelayer Meteor laid large minefields on the 7th/8th along the North Russian Murman coast at the entrance to the White Sea to interrupt the flow of munitions to, and cargoes from Russia. SS Arndale was the first ship sunk; three more went down in the same month. Six Lowestoft minesweeping trawlers arrived in July to sweep them, and continued until November

Zeppelin Airwar - RNAS aircraft of No.1 Sqdn bombed and destroyed Army airship LZ.38 (Production No. LZ.38) in her shed at Bruxelles Evere, Belgium; Victoria Cross - Flight Sub Lt Reginald Alexander John Warneford RNAS (also No.1 Sqdn), destroyed German Zeppelin LZ.37 (Production No. LZ.37) in the air near Ghent, Belgium. He was killed in a plane crash ten days later

Orkneys
Duke of Albany, Admiralty armed boarding vessel, 1,997/1907, hired 30/10/14, returning to Scapa in thick fog. Grounded on Lother Rock in the Pentland Firth at 0400, refloated with considerable damage seven days later.

Political etc.

U.S. Ambassador Page presents King George a medal cast in New Orleans to celebrate 100 years of peace between the U.S. and Britain.

British Coalition Cabinet agrees to pool their salaries to promote more unity between the ministers. Average salary is £4246 a year.

Ship Losses:

Djeyhun ( Ottoman Empire): The cargo ship was torpedoed and sunk in the Sea of Marmara off Nagara Point, Turkey by HMS E11 ( Royal Navy).
Glittertind ( Norway): The coaster was sunk in the North Sea 28 nautical miles (52 km) off Whitby, Yorkshire, United Kingdom (58°55′N 0°10′E) by SM U-25 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Menapier ( Belgium): The cargo ship was torpedoed and sunk in the North Sea 2 nmi (3.7 km) off the Tongue Lightship ( United Kingdom) (51°28′05″N 1°35′15″E) by SM UB-10 ( Kaiserliche Marine) with the loss of seventeen crew.
Nottingham ( United Kingdom): The trawler was shelled and sunk in the North Sea 70 nautical miles (130 km) north east of Spurn Point, Yorkshire by SM U-25 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew were rescued by the trawler Onward ( United Kingdom).
Pentland ( United Kingdom): The trawler was shelled and sunk in the North Sea 75 nautical miles (139 km) east north east of Hornsea, Yorkshire by SM U-25 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Saturn ( United Kingdom): The trawler was shelled and sunk in the North Sea 86 nautical miles (159 km) north east of Spurn Point by SM U-25 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Superb ( Norway): The barque was sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 50 nautical miles (93 km) west of the Fastnet Rock (51°15′N 10°45′W) by SM U-34 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Trudvang ( Norway): The cargo ship was sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 64 nautical miles (119 km) south west by west of the smalls Lighthouse (51°08′N 6°45′W) by SM U-35 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Velocity ( United Kingdom): The trawler was sunk in the North Sea 75 nautical miles (139 km) north east of Spurn Point by SM U-25 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.

Old 06-07-15, 10:35 AM   #838
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

June 7:

Quote:
"Big haul last night. Warneford caught a Zepp at 6,000 feet and did it in, and another was caught in its shed by Wilson and Mills.

There was also a huge fire at the hospital here last night. All the wounded men were got out, and the sands were strewn with them in beds, etc."

-Harold Rosher, letter to his mother, June 7, 1915
Air War: At 0215 hours Reginald Alexander John Warneford, flying solo in an unarmed Morane-Saulnier 'L' parasol, brings down LZ.37 by dropping bombs on it (see Jimbuna's post above).

French pilot Eugene Gilbert scores his 4th victory. Gilbert is flying a Morane, either 'L' or 'N', and his victim is listed only as an 'Enemy Aircraft'.

Atlantic Ocean, southwest of Ireland: Claus Rücker, commanding U-34, sinks Norwegian sailing ship Superb, 1,515 tons, travelling from Buenos Aires to Queenstown with a cargo of grain. His score is now 8 ships and 19,080 tons.

Celtic Sea, between Ireland and Wales: Waldemar Kophamel, in U-35, sinks the Norwegian freighter Trudvang, 1,041 tons, bound from Pomaron to Dublin with a load of pyrite (Iron sulfide, AKA "Fool's gold"). This brings Kophamel's score to 7 ships and 9,112 tons.

North Sea: Otto Wünsche, in U-25, sinks Norwegian freighter Glittertind, 717 tons, carrying a load of pit props from Hälle to Hartlepool. Wünsche then attacks a fishing fleet, capturing and sinkng the British trawlers Nottingham, 165 tons; Pentland, 204 tons; Saturn, 183 tons; and Velocity, 186 tons.

Otto Steinbrinck, in UB-10, sinks the Belgian freighter Menapier, 1886 tons, en route from Algiers to Middlsbrough with a load of iron ore. Steinbrinck ends his first war patrol with 2 ships and 3,906 tons.

German East Africa: At Mafia Island HMS Mersey's crew are still busy with the same operations: Pumping water out of the chain locker, mounting guns and putting up armour plating.
Old 06-07-15, 12:40 PM   #839
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Icon14 A thing made right!

Quote:
Air War: At 0215 hours Reginald Alexander John Warneford, flying solo in an unarmed Morane-Saulnier 'L' parasol, brings down LZ.37 by dropping bombs on it (see Jimbuna's post above).
Better!: my album : And his new Centennial Memorial plaque at Highworth! http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-33035725

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-15, 03:45 PM   #840
11sero10
Nub

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 0

it was a terrible time ...
11sero10 is offline   Reply With Quote