SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-26-19, 01:21 PM   #1
Sephiroth
Seaman

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0
Support SH3 on a modern PC?

I have a slight problem. My current gaming rig does not seem to be able to start SH3. I am trying the Steam version before I have to dig out the Starforce version on DVD. I installed SH3, then installed GWX. I then tried starting the game. I keep getting an error about not being able to start the 3D engine. Basic research says that the issue is that I do not support 1024x768, which is fairly accurate. I am currently running a 24", 2K (2560x1440), 144Hz G-Sync monitor coupled to an RTX 2080 Ti.

I tried using one of the D3D hooks for widescreen support but it did not help. How can I get the game running? I have been toying with UBOAT recently but it is very flakey and unrealistic. Last time I checked a 7C couldn't pull 25kts, for example. I'd like to get back to GWX since it always provided me with a challenge, despite the games age.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-19, 02:02 PM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

My monitor is a cheap 32" model, with the standard 1920 x 1080 resolution. Other than that I am running a Ryzen 5 2600 processor with an MSI RX-570 GPU and Windows 10 Pro. SH3 with GWX runs flawlessly, so I obviously have no clue what your problem may be.

I have the newer Starforce-free disc version. My first question is the obvious: Is it installed in Program Files? If so, it shouldn't be. If you already knew that, which from your wording I'd guess you probably did, then I'm not sure what to suggest next.
Old 05-26-19, 03:44 PM   #3
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Does your GPU driver/settings have the option of scaling the resolution down? Preferably with aspect ratio maintaining.
Old 05-26-19, 08:18 PM   #4
Sephiroth
Seaman

Downloads: 4

I always create a folder named "Games" on the root of my C: drive. Currently a 2TB RAID0 array is mounted there. It has admins, users, and system as full access. Steam and everything runs from there. This isn't a permissions issue. I am running Windows 7 Pro 64bit, 32GB RAM, with an i7-6950X.

As far as the scaling goes, I assume so. I am using the official nVidia driver for the card and I can run everything from DOS games to Ark: Survival Evolved, so it probably isn't the driver. Again, researching the error (including posts on this forum) claim that you need to run in 1024x768, but that isn't happening on this monitor. Others say to use one of the widescreen mods, but that isn't helping. It has something to do with the game looking for EXACTLY 1024x768 resolution on the first start. The thing is, I literally cannot do that. Some registry entry needs to be set is my guess.

Is there a mod allowing me to run in 2K?
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote