SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion > Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-29-13, 09:34 PM   #1
Herman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 269
Uploads: 1046

Default CMO review at SimHQ

A new review for CMO has been posted to SimHQ.
http://www.simhq.com/air-combat/comm...ns-review.html

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions
Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-13, 12:26 AM   #2
BadKarma1001
Mate

Downloads: 168
Uploads: 0

Ah well since the reviewer and the developers seem to had their problems back in their Harpoon modders days i have to ask myself how unbiased this review really is?

http://www.warfaresims.com/index.php?s=herman
Old 09-30-13, 08:15 AM   #3
TonyE
Watch

Downloads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKarma1001 View Post
Ah well since the reviewer and the developers seem to had their problems back in their Harpoon modders days i have to ask myself how unbiased this review really is?

http://www.warfaresims.com/index.php?s=herman
About as unbiased as the HHQ page you link, they are far from innocent and unbiased either.
TonyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-13, 08:55 AM   #4
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman View Post

Your first link leads to the wonderful 404. Try http://www.simhq.com/naval-combat/co...s-preview.html although it is the beta.

Your second link is private, so I for one can't see it.
Old 09-30-13, 09:34 AM   #5
biosthetique
Lieutenant

Downloads: 652

SimHQ is mainly about car races sims, flight sims, FPS, some Tanks sims. They are not a group about Naval Simulation. Look at their forum and you will see what is paramount for them.
biosthetique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-13, 09:38 AM   #6
BadKarma1001
Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyE View Post
About as unbiased as the HHQ page you link, they are far from innocent and unbiased either.
Didn´t said they are but since these guys defiantly have a history imho it was not the best choice for a reviewer!
Old 09-30-13, 01:59 PM   #7
Herman
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
If you find an inaccuracy or falsehood within the review, please report it. I am more than happy to provide clarification on any concerns.

For example:

Actually, I can point to one glaring error that totally unhinges the entire review:
"Most displays such as Weapons, Sensors, and Contacts can only be activated via the mouse-click on a button."
should read:
"Most displays such as Damage Control and Contacts can only be activated via the mouse-click on a button."

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 10-01-13, 12:14 AM   #8
BadKarma1001
Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyE View Post
Quote:
If you find an inaccuracy or falsehood within the review, please report it. I am more than happy to provide clarification on any concerns.

For example:

Actually, I can point to one glaring error that totally unhinges the entire review:
"Most displays such as Weapons, Sensors, and Contacts can only be activated via the mouse-click on a button."
should read:
"Most displays such as Damage Control and Contacts can only be activated via the mouse-click on a button."
Is the game flawless? No, of course it´s not! Is it cluncky at some parts? For sure it is!
It has afaik a 3 man dev team for gods sake!
Is it overpriced? I would say yes and i am 100% sure the devs would do better if they had another publisher but i bit the bullet since there are no alternatives for a game with this background and scale! Even not Harpoon, but that is mho.
All i am saying is that someone who has a tarnished past with the devs should not do a review on a site like simhq! It´s like you had a run in with a guy in the past and it turns out he´s the new building inspector for your house! There will always be the question, is he an hardass to anyone or just to me because of the past!
Old 10-01-13, 02:02 AM   #9
Herman
Ace of the Deep

My past is untarnished, so I had no problem writing the review for SimHQ or anyone else.

I'll say it, again. If you have found an inaccuracy within the review, please feel free to point it out.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 10-01-13, 11:04 AM   #10
BadKarma1001
Mate

Quote:
My past is untarnished, so I had no problem writing the review for SimHQ or anyone else.
Imho the point is not if you made valid points, i am sure there where/are the point is you shouldn´t have done the review in the first place because of the history you have with the devs! I bet you didn´t had a problem reviewing the game!

Last edited by BadKarma1001; 10-01-13 at 11:22 AM.
BadKarma1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-13, 01:35 PM   #11
Herman
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Imho the point is not if you made valid points, i am sure there where/are the point is you shouldn´t have done the review in the first place because of the history you have with the devs! I bet you didn´t had a problem reviewing the game!
I did not intend to review the game. However, I kept getting requests from people for my opinion. I finally relented and decided that if I was going to help one person, I may as well try to help them all, at the same time.

Now, if the fact that I knew the developers beforehand is reason to recuse myself from a review, that would be too restrictive. The naval wargame community is generally small and I have probably either been in contact with or played matches against many of them or played. The fact that I am engaged and knowledgeable is the very reason folks want my opinion. You could prefer to get medical advice from your lawyer in order to avoid any possible conflict but, would you trust it?

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 10-01-13, 03:09 PM   #12
BadKarma1001
Mate

Quote:
You could prefer to get medical advice from your lawyer in order to avoid any possible conflict but, would you trust it?
I prefer my building inspector example!
Old 10-01-13, 09:52 PM   #13
Herman
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr-Berbunch View Post
Your first link leads to the wonderful 404. Try http://www.simhq.com/naval-combat/co...s-preview.html although it is the beta.

Your second link is private, so I for one can't see it.

The review has been re-posted and, except for normal editorial amendments, remains unchanged.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 10-02-13, 05:33 PM   #14
HM1969
Nub

Downloads: 0

Long time lurker but first time poster. Reading all this talk I just had to say something as there seems to be a crusade against CMANO. I haven't played it yet but from reading up on it it feels like a clear winner over the other games of this type.

Someone I know at Sim HQ implied that when they agreed to have a review written it was by someone else. I get the feeling they didn't notice it was signed by Herman before it was published and by the time they saw the reaction they were in a difficult position. They look like they are reacting to pressure if they remove it even if they had realised their mistake.

Maybe this is incorrect though so Herman can you clarify if you were the one who contacted Sim HQ and offered to do a review and they were aware you were involved or did you have someone else act as an intermediary? I always like to hear both sides of the story though so Herman do you feel you have been completely open and honest with everyone at Sim HQ?

I worry that Herman & Vincenzo, whilst claiming not to, do have their own agenda. I suspect they see CMANO as a threat. They love making mods for Harpoon and are unable to edit the DB in CMANO. I get the feeling they think if CMANO succeeds they'll have nobody left to make mods for.

They may have nothing to gain from a monetary point of view but do they have a vested interest in preventing CMANO succeeding and taking people away from their Harpoon DB, scenarios and mods? You make your own decision. I saw arguments like this tear the Harpoon community apart and fear it will happen again.

This is a small hobby so why the need to destroy one of the very few games of this type. I have seen Herman post links to his review everywhere he can and claim he is being censored. I see claims from Vincenzo that Matrix doesn't want people to see the real review, only previews, implying the game is bad. Did Matrix ask Sim HQ to remove the review - I don't know. I don't really care. I do care that there is a small subset of people who, for reasons I cannot fully comprehend, are trying to destroy the best chance of a healthy ongoing future for our hobby.

One last question Herman - what is the best game of this type in your opinion? You are very clear in your criticism but which game wins and why? I'm sure others would be interested. You are very good at specific details so I'd be interested in specific details on what your favourite game is.

Henrik M
HM1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-13, 06:00 PM   #15
biosthetique
Lieutenant

Downloads: 652

Gee!...Do you have a conspiracy theory HM1969?

I bought the game despite the price and played it and am still playing it.

There is a lot of room for improvement.

One of my complaint, is the castrated behaviors of MK 48 ADCAP which distance has been cut from 27nm to 6 nm pretexting, one type of engagement, lack of intelligence from the player, hence, the game is thinking for him. The same inaccuracy was in Harpoon too.

For that price of the game, I am not happy about it!

But I don't see a conspiracy!....Look at that price, the game better be perfect.

Did you buy it?...Are you playing it?
biosthetique is offline   Reply With Quote