Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-21-17, 02:43 PM   #121
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgard View Post
A status check for planning. How many, that are based in range, can actually fly?

As a Chinese targeteer, WMD sites and tels would be first...and repeated.

If N. Korea falls, internally, access to such weapons should not be allowed. I suspect China is seeing the bigger picture.
Could very well be the case. I'm a bit confused that a country has to put their bomber divisions on high alert to calculate these things.

Another thing I have forgot to mention in the thread.
When I saw a picture of Trump and the Chinese leader and thereafter having read article about NK and the ongoing crisis, I got this historical Deja vu. The Ribbentrop and Molotov agreement.

Could Trump and the Chinese leader have come to some type of agreement when it comes to NK ??

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-17, 03:10 PM   #122
Delgard
Skipper

Downloads: 48

The high alert is just a way to kick Air Force Commanders into gear. Check maintenance, availability of spare parts, status of pilots, get everyone back to base and then to report why that commander has blemishes.

As to an actual mission, maybe not, that was just my conjecture for a future mission.

As to the deal; probably to some degree. Japan is spinning up, so is S. Korea, it seems. Why not China?

Good to be prepared.
Delgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-17, 05:00 PM   #123
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
There have been reports Russia is moving its own troops to the North Korean border:
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/russia-ref...093208115.html
In other reports Russian officials are flatly denying the reports:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...0e8_story.html
Well, given the past track record of Russia (just ask Ukraine), the Russian denials most likely means they are massing troops on NK's border...
<O>
There were snap drills in the Far Eastern MD with equipment movement. Such drills include long range transportation to unfammiliar training areas. The snap drills may be related to the crisis, as a measure to increase readiness for contingencies.

It appears that western observers are talking about one such unit returing from the training area. Russia-DPRK border area is fairly narrow.
Old 04-24-17, 03:01 AM   #124
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

The "management by confusion" style of the Trump administration seems to have been at full display regarding NK and the Carl Vinson's alleged deployment:

https://www.navytimes.com/articles/c...-global-crisis

There are times when I get the same uneasy feeling I got when I was watching the taking of Baghdad in the Iraq War: the White House hadn't really thought out what they were going to do if they actually succeeded; the sight of troops idling about, waiting for not-forthcoming orders was disturbing. There is the same feeling of incertitude surrounding the current situation: no one really seems to know what they are doing and, those who may have a firmer grasp on the situation seem to marginalized by more White House-centered political concerns. Added to this is the fact an astonishing number of critical appointive vacancies at State, DoD, intelligence, and other key departments have yet to be filled (the highest number of any new administration), and one wonders if the US might just find itself in a serious crisis due not to any outside threat, but more due to the ineptitude of our own internal government...

<O>
Old 04-24-17, 09:34 AM   #125
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Quote:
The "management by confusion" style of the Trump administration seems to have been at full display regarding NK and the Carl Vinson's alleged deployment:

https://www.navytimes.com/articles/c...-global-crisis

There are times when I get the same uneasy feeling I got when I was watching the taking of Baghdad in the Iraq War: the White House hadn't really thought out what they were going to do if they actually succeeded; the sight of troops idling about, waiting for not-forthcoming orders was disturbing. There is the same feeling of incertitude surrounding the current situation: no one really seems to know what they are doing and, those who may have a firmer grasp on the situation seem to marginalized by more White House-centered political concerns. Added to this is the fact an astonishing number of critical appointive vacancies at State, DoD, intelligence, and other key departments have yet to be filled (the highest number of any new administration), and one wonders if the US might just find itself in a serious crisis due not to any outside threat, but more due to the ineptitude of our own internal government...

<O>
This particular brouhaha was caused not by the Trump Administration, but by the Media trying to drive the news rather than just reporting it.
MaDef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-17, 10:15 AM   #126
vienna
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDef View Post
This particular brouhaha was caused not by the Trump Administration, but by the Media trying to drive the news rather than just reporting it.
Oh, I see, the confused and confusing statements made by the various functionaries of the Trump administration to the press, as background sources to the same press, had nothing to do with the "brouhaha"; nor did the very obvious "left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing" 'style' of governance so amply displayed in seemingly all current functions of the Trump administration; nor did the fact it is extremely obvious Trump has not idea one what are the capabilities or constraints of the US Armed Forces; nor did Trump's constant bellicose blustering and 'writing checks' the US Armed forces can't 'cash' because neither Trump nor the gaggle of his sycophantic 'advisers' can seem to manage anything greater than a "Keystone Cops" sort of response to very serious situations; none of the preceding factors had anything to do with the current mess Trump is in: its all the fault of the 'wicked, wicked' press and the fact they actually have the temerity to draw back the curtain and let us, the American people, see we are in danger of suffering grave consequences because the White House occupants are seriously out of their depth. So, if this whole situation goes pear-shaped because Trump or his minions screw the pooch, the fault should lay squarely at the door of the press who do not decide foreign policy, who do not decide military policy, who do not give the orders that send troops into harm's way, and who do not have the responsibility of responsibly governing our nation. That concept is a steaming pile: it is time for Trump, his sycophants, and his apologists to all grow a pair and stop hiding behind the straw men of the press, and whoever else they try to use as whipping boys; its time for the White Hose to stop bitching and start leading like grownups, a difficult task since their leader is such a big, spoiled baby...

<O>
Old 04-24-17, 02:15 PM   #127
Delgard
Skipper

Downloads: 48

Why did he have to tell the press at all? He made a commitment with Australia and several other nations, he told the much less respected North Koreans that he was barreling down their throat. It worked fine.

Telling the press is like telling the enemy. Even, on his way back north he got to slide in close to the Philippines to cheering coast watchers and then trained with the Japanese.

Why does the carrier even need to be there. Maybe, someone is missing the big picture, guys.
Delgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-17, 03:57 PM   #128
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Oh, I see, the confused and confusing statements made by the various functionaries of the Trump administration to the press, as background sources to the same press, had nothing to do with the "brouhaha"; nor did the very obvious "left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing" 'style' of governance so amply displayed in seemingly all current functions of the Trump administration; nor did the fact it is extremely obvious Trump has not idea one what are the capabilities or constraints of the US Armed Forces; nor did Trump's constant bellicose blustering and 'writing checks' the US Armed forces can't 'cash' because neither Trump nor the gaggle of his sycophantic 'advisers' can seem to manage anything greater than a "Keystone Cops" sort of response to very serious situations; none of the preceding factors had anything to do with the current mess Trump is in: its all the fault of the 'wicked, wicked' press and the fact they actually have the temerity to draw back the curtain and let us, the American people, see we are in danger of suffering grave consequences because the White House occupants are seriously out of their depth. So, if this whole situation goes pear-shaped because Trump or his minions screw the pooch, the fault should lay squarely at the door of the press who do not decide foreign policy, who do not decide military policy, who do not give the orders that send troops into harm's way, and who do not have the responsibility of responsibly governing our nation. That concept is a steaming pile: it is time for Trump, his sycophants, and his apologists to all grow a pair and stop hiding behind the straw men of the press, and whoever else they try to use as whipping boys; its time for the White Hose to stop bitching and start leading like grownups, a difficult task since their leader is such a big, spoiled baby...

<O>

Speaking of acting like grown-ups and big spoiled babies. Dude, did you even bother to read the lifer-times story you linked too? I did, but I don't understand why you linked too it because it has absolutley nothing to do with the latest rant of yours.

And if want to know whats going on with Carl Vinson check out their face book page.

Release# R-24-17
23 April 2017
CSG-1 and JMSDF ships refine maritime skills while transiting Western Pacific
PHILIPPINE SEA— Carl Vinson Carrier Strike Group and the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMSDF) commenced an at-sea bilateral exercise in the Philippine Sea, April 23.
Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson (CVN 70), Ticonderoga-class guided-missile cruiser USS Lake Champlain (CG 57) and Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Michael Murphy DDG (112) were joined by JMSDF destroyers JS Samidare (DD-106) and JS Ashigara (DDG-178), both out of Sasebo, Japan, as the San Diego-based strike group continued its northern transit in the Western Pacific.
The routine exercise is designed to improve combined maritime response and defense capabilities, increase combined maneuvering proficiency, and ensure maritime forces remain ready to defend the region when called upon.
“We always look forward to operating with our Japanese partners,” said Rear Adm. Jim Kilby, commander, Carrier Strike Group 1. “The relationship between the JMSDF and the United States is better than ever and it’s in part thanks to these bilateral exercises.”
The Carl Vinson Strike Group has conducted three previous bilateral exercises with the JMSDF since deploying earlier this year, most recently in March. The U.S. Navy conducts bilateral and multilateral exercises like this routinely as well as operations in the Western Pacific Ocean with the JMSDF throughout the year.
CSG-1 departed San Diego for a regularly scheduled deployment to the western Pacific, Jan. 5 and is comprised of Carl Vinson, CVW 2, Lake Champlain and embarked Destroyer Squadron (CDS) 1, consisting of Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyers USS Michael Murphy and USS Wayne E. Meyer (108).

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 04-24-17 at 08:14 PM.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-17, 10:01 PM   #129
vienna
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Speaking of acting like grown-ups and big spoiled babies. Dude, did you even bother to read the lifer-times story you linked too? I did, but I don't understand why you linked too it because it has absolutley nothing to do with the latest rant of yours.
I think you are speciously conflating two separate posts in an effort to deflect from either of the points I was trying to make. The Navy Times article (which, yes, I did read, thoroughly) was cited as an illustration of how the whole Carl Vinson "brouhaha" was a product of the mismanagement and lack of knowledge and experience of the current inhabitants of the White House. If the details of the mess doesn't fit into your 'sunshine and lollipops' rose-colored view of the current administration, well, there's no helping that; I do feel the people who the US government sends into harm's way deserve way better than the leadership they have now...

Oh, and yes, there are ways to know where the Vinson is and what it is doing; the problem is the guy who should know, and who is making the decisions, obviously doesn't know; maybe you could email him that Facebook link...

The second post had nothing really to do with the first, other than the perpetrators are the same bunch; the issue in the second post was how the administration, and its apologists, seek to place the blame for their shortcomings and failures on everyone other than themselves; with great power comes great responsibility: the current administration seems to want the power but not the responsibility. It takes more than just sticking 'patriot', or freedom' or 'America' on everything they was to slip past the citizens as they bumble their way through governance. They want credit for the little good they've done, they've got took take responsibility the lot of bad they've done, too. If their policies and actions can't stand muster when stripped of their "rah-rah" hyperbole, then they have little to show for their efforts...

Getting back to the subject of the thread, the situation with NK is indeed very serious and it needs not someone who acts like a leader, but who is a leader. The threat of the possible consequences of whatever action is deserving of leadership that is, to quote someone you respect and admire, "sad, weak"...

<O>
Old 04-25-17, 12:52 AM   #130
Kaye T. Bai
Samurai Navy

Location: Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
Downloads: 22

Saw this thread title and damn near had a heart attack, since I thought it'd actually happened.
Kaye T. Bai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-17, 06:06 AM   #131
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye T. Bai View Post
Saw this thread title and damn near had a heart attack, since I thought it'd actually happened.
No, not yet.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-17, 06:39 AM   #132
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

But very soon!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-17, 09:52 AM   #133
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

Well, he's called the entire senate to the White House to brief them on NK. I am truly hoping he's not looking for a declaration of war here.

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-17, 10:57 AM   #134
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Probably just having hard time finding NK on the map.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-17, 10:59 AM   #135
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

USS Michigan have been given the order to transit to somewhere outside the Korean peninsula.

It shall not be a part in the ongoing exercise or soon to come exercise.

As it says in the Danish article by sending this sub loaded with nuclear, is sending a clear message to Kim.

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
korea, north korea