SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-09-07, 05:54 PM   #1
capt_frank
Watch Officer

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Has anyone solved the in game crackling once and for all?

I thought that I had, but now it's back with a vengenance, along with its friend distortion. I have tried lowering the sound acceleration and quality tabs, reinstalling my sound card drivers (Soundblaster X-FI) but with no avail. Sounds like I've got a CB user living next door, which I don't.

I sure hate turning down the sound with that new ROW deck gun sequence! Even pkinking away at the birds just to hear it...

Anyway, help is much appreciated.

Thanks!
capt_frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-07, 12:02 AM   #2
Go4It
Engineer

If you have a AGP card try the PCI Latency Tool. You can pick it up at http://guru3d.com/. If yiou have a PCIe card don't know what to tell ya......
Go4It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-07, 01:09 AM   #3
Peto
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 4

Bluegears Enspirer Sound card. It took care of all my sound problems (including crackling). They cost about a hundred but well worth it. I've had about five or six Creative Labs Sound Blasters and I'll never get another one now that I've had this card.

If you have onboard sound--it's definitely worth the switch!
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-07, 08:11 AM   #4
capt_frank
Watch Officer

Thanks guys for the suggestions!

Here's what I did this morning, not to mention my three hour escapade last nite...

I have never let windows update any driver, be it sound or video. I have always manually performed my updates, and recently I manually updated the sound drivers. However, since I was nearing the end of my rope so to say, I had windows search for an update driver, and voila, AS OF right now, I am experiencing SHIV crackle free.

Hard to believe it was so simple. Maybe I'll let windows do some of my work from now on, since they seem to get it right...

Now to see if it lasts.
Old 11-10-07, 10:38 AM   #5
capt_frank
Watch Officer

Nope, Back again...
Old 11-10-07, 01:26 PM   #6
Peto
Ace of the Deep

Fo you have onboard audio capt_frank? I ask this becuase I have seen onboard audio have problems frequently. I can order 2 identical motherboards with onboard audio and 1 will have sound crackles etc while the other one does not... It is frequently hardware in nature--all those cicuits packed into a small area--and sometimes there is "interference". Millions of transistors and all it takes is one to create an annoying "POP". I've also found it can be application specific because of how the software interacts with the hardware. Sometimes drivers can help--sometimes no dice.

FYI--I don't blame your reluctance to update drivers as I am the same way. I only update drivers if I need to fix a problem and I'm reasonable sure that the driver will do it...

I had that problem with audio and resorted to the sound card solution I mentioned above. It works fine in both XP and Vista (although I don't do much gaming with my Vista boot--video driver problems I think).

Good Luck and I hope you find a solution soon.

FYI # 2: You can find bluegears sound card @ newegg.com for a good price.

Peto
Old 11-11-07, 12:14 PM   #7
capt_frank
Watch Officer

For anyone who may be experiencing sound crackles, I think I solved the problems, will report after some further testing.

Didn't involve a new card...

Deep into a mission and so far crackle free, and it sure is nice for a change!
Old 11-11-07, 12:33 PM   #8
Peto
Ace of the Deep

I'll be the 1st to applaud you!!!
Old 11-11-07, 04:16 PM   #9
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
I had this issue with both SH3 AND SH4. I have an old sb live card. To solve the issue I disabled the card (keeping it in the machine because of I use it for the gameport) and went to onboard sound only. Result - no audio distortion whatsoever. May not work for everyone - but SB cards struggle with the SH series for some reason. Best of Luck.

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-07, 07:21 AM   #10
capt_frank
Watch Officer

Double crap, they're back.

So it's either a new card or go onboard sound.

So here's the stupid question of the day: How can I easily tell if I have onboard sound? And do I have to enable it in the BIOS? I haven't dealt with onboard sound for a verrrrry long time so I'm kinda clueless here...:hmm:

Thanks!
Old 11-12-07, 07:35 AM   #11
DrBeast
The Old Man

Downloads: 36

Yes, you'd have to find it in the BIOS menu and enable it. You access the BIOS upon boot usually by pressing the Delete key (though some BIOS require another key, watch the screen closely upon boot and you'll see a "Press [keyname] to enter Setup" or similar message.

HOWEVER...before enabling it you'll have to disable the other sound card! Uninstall the drivers etc. Worst case scenario (meaning you don't have an on-board sound chip), you just reinstall its drivers.

Here's what to do: upon boot, enter BIOS. Check to see if you do have an onboard sound chip. If you do, mark down its type. Now exit BIOS without saving. Do a google search for "sound chip type drivers", download the latest drivers. Now, uninstall your current sound card's drivers. Shut down the PC, remove the sound card. Fire up the PC, enter BIOS, enable on-board sound, bypass the whole "Windoze has found a new device", manually install the drivers you downloaded. That's all.

Note: this is for Windoze XP, I have NO idea how Vista work!

Let the Beast inside you free!
DrBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-07, 08:12 AM   #12
capt_frank
Watch Officer

I'm in the BIOS and all it sayz is that Integrated Audio is "Off", no mention as to what kind it is. It's a Dell XPS 710 btw.

Do I have to remove the sound card or can I leave it in the chassis and just disable it?

Thanks!
Old 11-12-07, 08:28 AM   #13
Peto
Ace of the Deep

I recommend removing the card from the system. Make sure the computer is OFF when you do so!!!! As far as the onboard audio goes--go to dell's website and look up your system in Drivers and Downloads. You can use your service tag number (white one) on the back of your chassis. It may give you more than one option for sound drivers.

I can't do more right now (going to work on computers ) but if you need more help say so. There are many on this site who will be happy to help you. And I'll be online at work as well and try to point you in the right direction.

Don't give up the ship!!!!

Peto
Old 11-12-07, 08:33 AM   #14
capt_frank
Watch Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peto
As far as the onboard audio goes--go to dell's website and look up your system in Drivers and Downloads. You can use your service tag number (white one) on the back of your chassis. It may give you more than one option for sound drivers.
DOH!! Now why didn't I thunk of that?!

Off to the mountains for a bit with the wife, will tackle this in a few.

Thanks!
Old 11-12-07, 05:28 PM   #15
capt_frank
Watch Officer

Default Finally!!!

And with a big kick in the butt, my SB X-FI card bit the dust, replaced with my rock steady onboard sound device.

And with that went the scratchies, the "Jimi Hendrix" distortion and the foul language which previously emminated from my oral orafice...

At least for the time being, which I hope lasts longer...

I have been enjoying SHIV for the last hour or so as it should be enjoyed...with sound full tilt. I'm hearing stuff I've never heard before! Just love the sounds of the Sugar Boats...

Thanks to all who helped me in this sojourn! It soitenly was worth the trip even though I wasn't so sure at times...

Peter