SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-27-17, 01:59 AM   #316
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115
Uploads: 0

All the parts are in and in the process of being installed. Should have a range report on the new AR-15 6.5 Grendel DMR by next week.

Been several months, one piece at a time, but i've finally got everything.

Parts list

Aero Precision Ghost Gun Lower
Aero Precision M4E1 Enhanced Upper
A P Enhanced M-Lok Handguard 15"
A P Low Profile Gas Block
A P Melonite gas tube, rifle length
Brownells Mil-Spec Lower Parts Kit
Magpul MIAD 1.1 grip (ODG)
Magpul MOE Fixed Rifle Stock (ODG)
Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard (ODG)
(Generic buffer assembly, bought used off a friend)
Toolcraft bolt carrier group
Republic Firearms Cerakote ODG Mil-Spec charging handle*
Cheap knock-off "Magpul" flip up iron sights until my good ones come in the mail
Ballistic Advantage Premium series 20" HBAR stainless barrel
VG6 Precision 65 muzzle brake
1x ASC 25 rd magazine (Prob gonna go with the Alexander Arms E-Landers)

Waiting on Daniel Defense fixed iron sights. Going to use those for a while since a proper scope really isnt in the budget.

Magpul MS4 sling is in the mail. The handguard and stock have quick-detach sockets built in so that'll be a pretty sweet hybrid sling setup.

Also determining what bipod I want to go with. The stainless HBAR barrel leaves the gun pretty front-heavy. It's not going to be very comfortable to fire unsupported or on the move.

*Republic sent me a faulty charging handle and is going to replace it. Will probably upgrade later on to a BCM Gunfighter or a Raptor-LT.

Upper is at the gunsmith getting properly torqued right now. I'd have done it myself, but do not have access to the tools anymore and for the cost of the tools, i could have paid the gunsmith three times what he's charging me to install/torque/test fire.

Off to the range (backyard ) over New Year's hopefully for the barrel break-in! Once the barrel is broken in, I'll have my nice iron sights and will be able to start doing some serious shooting. Going to work and save up for a proper rifle scope later on to take the rifle out hunting/long distance.
Old 01-03-18, 06:29 AM   #317
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Kel-Tec Sub 2000 fold up 9mm rifle this is the Beretta 92 Magazine Configuration

two kinds of people own guns good and bad ... I'm good
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-18, 12:41 PM   #318
komi
Sailor man

Hope it's ok to ask this here, but a buddy of mine is interested in some WW2 vintage shooting and I'm looking for recommendations on a carbine-sized rifle from that era that I could join in with one day. I'm not a big guy at all (think of typical ARVN soldier size) so compactness and reasonably light recoil are a priority for me. A big bonus would be if it could also mount a scope fairly easily. Also it would be preferable (to avoid any potential legal hurdles where I live) if it had a mag capacity of less than 10 rounds.

Any of the firearms experts here have suggestions for something that fits this and is reasonably available on the market these days?
komi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-18, 01:38 PM   #319
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by komi View Post
Hope it's ok to ask this here, but a buddy of mine is interested in some WW2 vintage shooting and I'm looking for recommendations on a carbine-sized rifle from that era that I could join in with one day. I'm not a big guy at all (think of typical ARVN soldier size) so compactness and reasonably light recoil are a priority for me. A big bonus would be if it could also mount a scope fairly easily. Also it would be preferable (to avoid any potential legal hurdles where I live) if it had a mag capacity of less than 10 rounds.

Any of the firearms experts here have suggestions for something that fits this and is reasonably available on the market these days?
I don't claim to be an expert but you probably want to look at an M1 Carbine. US made army surplus and you can get 10 round mags for it fairly cheaply.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-18, 02:03 PM   #320
komi
Sailor man

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
I don't claim to be an expert but you probably want to look at an M1 Carbine. US made army surplus and you can get 10 round mags for it fairly cheaply.
They had come up on my radar, wasn't aware they made 10 round mags for them though. Thanks for the suggestion. Given it's a semi-auto I would have to first check that it's not a restricted weapon where I live. Bolt-actions are far safer option where I am.
Old 01-03-18, 02:17 PM   #321
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

There are reproduction M1s so you don't have to shoot an antique. https://www.classicfirearms.com/auto...r-rifle-aom140
Old 01-03-18, 02:23 PM   #322
komi
Sailor man

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought View Post
There are reproduction M1s so you don't have to shoot an antique. https://www.classicfirearms.com/auto...r-rifle-aom140
Thanks, unfortunately that link is giving me a 403 error, whatever that means...

By the way I just checked and it looks like M1 carbines (as semi-auto centrefires) are on the restricted list where I live, which means I could hypothetically get one but it would require extra paperwork and cost. Recon I'll have to pass on those, thanks though for the suggestion. Hope I didn't waste your time guys, I should have mentioned bolt-actions were a much safer bet for me...
Old 01-03-18, 02:26 PM   #323
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Thanks, unfortunately that link is giving me a 403 error, whatever that means...

By the way I just checked and it looks like M1 carbines (as semi-auto centrefires) are on the restricted list where I live, which means I could hypothetically get one but it would require extra paperwork and cost. Recon I'll have to pass on those, thanks though for the suggestion. Gonna have to keep looking...
try https://www.classicfirearms.com/ and search m1 carbine on their website
Old 01-03-18, 04:02 PM   #324
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:

By the way I just checked and it looks like M1 carbines (as semi-auto centrefires) are on the restricted list where I live, which means I could hypothetically get one but it would require extra paperwork and cost. Recon I'll have to pass on those, thanks though for the suggestion. Hope I didn't waste your time guys, I should have mentioned bolt-actions were a much safer bet for me...
Then you might be looking at a German Mauser K98 bolt action rifle then unless you want to go with a standard USA M1 Garand (if you do check out the Civilian Marksmanship Program). There is also a shorter version of the Mauser called a G33/40 but it'll be pricey because it is so rare.

The Mausers

M1 Garand and M1 Carbine

Old 01-03-18, 04:04 PM   #325
August
Wayfaring Stranger

BTW where are you from Komi?

Old 01-03-18, 05:39 PM   #326
komi
Sailor man

Quote:
Then you might be looking at a German Mauser K98 bolt action rifle then unless you want to go with a standard USA M1 Garand (if you do check out the Civilian Marksmanship Program). There is also a shorter version of the Mauser called a G33/40 but it'll be pricey because it is so rare.
K98's have been up for consideration as well if there was an actual carbine version available. Actually I wouldn't be averse to any Mauser-type carbines from the first half of the 20th century as long as they fit the basic requirements I mentioned...

Quote:
M1 Garand and M1 Carbine
As far as I know Garands are restricted for the same reason as the M1 Carbines. Besides they're not really the short-rifle/carbine types I was looking for. Thanks though.

Quote:
BTW where are you from Komi?
Long story :P Living in an EU country at the moment.
Old 01-03-18, 05:47 PM   #327
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Search for a Spanish FR8 from very close to the first half of the century, that's what I'd get under your parameters.

Last edited by em2nought; 01-03-18 at 05:48 PM. Reason: FR-8 FR8
em2nought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-18, 05:59 PM   #328
komi
Sailor man

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought View Post
Search for a Spanish FR8 from very close to the first half of the century, that's what I'd get under your parameters.
Never heard of them, I'll have a look. Thanks.
Old 01-03-18, 06:24 PM   #329
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Does it have to be a vintage rifle or will a modern equivalent work?
RUGER SCOUT RIFLE

Old 01-03-18, 06:37 PM   #330
komi
Sailor man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Does it have to be a vintage rifle or will a modern equivalent work?
RUGER SCOUT RIFLE

Well my friend was more in to vintage models for the sake of it, so if I wanted to 'fit in' at the meets I'd probably need something like that (even if a repro). But to be honest as long as I'm here I'm up for suggestions on a modern derivative to use on my own. I need to pick up a decent recreational shooter one of these days Been using rented ones at the moment...

Last edited by komi; 01-03-18 at 06:51 PM.

Tags
firearms, gun, guns, rifles