SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop > SH4 Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-28-08, 10:17 AM   #1
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7
Default Fighters

Am I doing something wrong in the Mission Editor or do Fighter Planes not attack other planes? I want to lanuch some fighters from a Carrier to protect the Task Force from Torpedo planes and Dive bombers but they don't attack.
So I set up a mission right in front of my sub at about 40m altitude and flew Japanese Torpedo planes from the left and Allied Fighters from the right. They flew right by each other like it was a Sunday drive. The Japanese planes had the rear gunner and they shot into the ocean, but not really anywhere close to my sub but in my direction and in the exact opposite direction of the fighters.
I have the fighters set to Elite figuring that may help but it didn't.
If I load the Fighter with a bomb it will attack a ship but it will not strafe, only drop the bomb and get out. If this is the way it works then why bother having them in the game at all. I know it is a Sub Sim but why bother taking up computer resources for something that doesn't work. If it's something I am doing wrong then I apologize for the comment.

Any info or ideas appreciated.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-08, 02:42 PM   #2
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 11

From what I remember of when I tried aeroplanes in the mission editor, they are unexpectedly useless. There are a number of oddities with them. The tail gunners fire when they are strafing you, even though they are facing the opposite direction.

I also found that as you say the fighters are not interested in other air contacts, only surface contacts.
Nisgeis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-08, 09:35 PM   #3
FAdmiral
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0

There is no AI for air to air fights. Only for surface ships & subs....

JIM

www.fairtax.org
FAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-08, 01:04 AM   #4
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Thanks for the replies guys. I thought it was kind of funny the planes just flew by each other.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote