SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-18-17, 09:47 PM   #1
IVO
Loader

Downloads: 103
Uploads: 0
Default My final thoughts of cold waters

It sucks.
Really compare to SH this really started out i thought to be maybe promising but so many problems, I have modded it and have played a long way through and after today's update it doesn't work correctly. If i click on review orders there is nothing , I can go on anyway this is game is a disappointment. Also its not accurate at all. The Ohio class cannot be detected and the only hope of detection is the enemy has to be near it but that is only a hope of detection. I can go on but to bad I wasted so much time on it.

Everyone stick with modded SH3 or modded SH5 that is as good as it gets.
Colder waters is just fun for a little while until you see for your self.
IVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-17, 10:10 PM   #2
-Pv-
The Old Man

Downloads: 5

If there are problems with the modded game, perhaps you should return to the 1.07d default game the devs built. It's not all that bad. There are known problems with the 1.08 beta. It's common for betas and mods to have more problems than the base game this early in release while the devs are still providing frequent betas.

You took the risks so this should be expected.

-Pv-
-Pv- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-17, 10:38 PM   #3
IVO
Loader

Default Yes True

Yes True
But, I just dont like it.
After a standard update to steam it ruined it.
Review orders is blank , I can go on but its not worth it.
So for me I don't like it.
I lost all my saved games and medals just from a steam update and even if it worked it was still not accurate as SH.
Just my opinion.
I will continue to use SH3 and SH5 i really wish i could get my money back on this one.
Old 09-18-17, 10:59 PM   #4
-Pv-
The Old Man

Downloads: 5

You might have the beta updates enabled. Only those who want to help test new features should be using that. The official public version is 1.07d and works as advertised and doesn't have the problems you describe. The 1.08 beta is known to be broken.

It is also well known this game is a little more "archadish" than the carefully researched historical games. Very little real world data is actually known about modern nuclear sub and warships so the development is more theoretical and play balance oriented.

I can understand if you prefer to play the Russian side for which you need the mods, but unfortunately modding is still experimental this early in the game's history.

How to revert to official release. You should also rename the override folders so the default folder is used instead.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...4&postcount=31

-Pv-
-Pv- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-17, 11:12 PM   #5
Falkirion
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 34

Thank you for your thoughts and opinion. I respectfully disagree with with them as I'm still having a blast in the game.

Hope you don't regret spending your money supporting KFG as well. We need more devs to take an interest in a very niche type of game and community
Falkirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-17, 11:15 PM   #6
GeneralGamer
Navy Dude

Downloads: 158
Uploads: 3

I had problems with the 1.08 Beta. But step back and understand it's a Beta. Things may be wrong, things may not work, but it will be fixed.

I think this a great game and Killerfish is doing an awesome job on frequent updates.

Visit, like and suscribe.

is the best!!!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwe...1_CdFU_Mw4-SrQ

GeneralGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-17, 12:10 AM   #7
IVO
Loader

Default I fixed it but still wow

Wow what a pain, i fixed it but dunno i will keep playing it but dunno if i will finally like it. hopefully it will turn out ok
Old 09-19-17, 12:27 AM   #8
MADLOU
Gunner

Downloads: 1208

No particular game is going to please everyone. I also love the SH series (except SH5 which I think is a disaster, even with the mods so far) and originally resisted purchasing Cold Waters because one, I was not really interested in modern sub warfare and two, Cold Waters seemed too arcadish to me. Well, after they added the crew voices and some other things, I decided to try it and boy was I pleasantly surprised. Its a real blast to play. While it does not have complexity and same feeling of "actually being there" as the SH series, its still quite a nice game. However, unless it gets more complex, I will probably tire of it in a few weeks. And that is only because as a retiree, I have almost unlimited time to play games and really like games that take a considerable amount of time just to learn how to play.
MADLOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-17, 11:49 AM   #9
speed150mph
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 35

If you want a fairly realistic modern sub sim, your going to have to just play dangerous waters. The graphics are not the greatest (though the RA mod models are pretty good), but you will get realistic gameplay.