SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-27-17, 02:55 AM   #1
G Man
Seaman

Downloads: 146
Uploads: 0
Default Radar range inaccuracies

I'm playing SH4 trigger maru high realism and approaching contacts in poor visability on radar range 3000 yards I found I still couldn't see the target when the radar range got the the short range boundary,which should have been about 100 yards. When I pinged the target it showed 1000 yards. I closed in using sonar ranges an got visual contact at 300 yards, so the sonar is accurate and the radar PPI screen is way out. Has anyone else had this problem and is there a fix for it?
G Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-17, 11:56 AM   #2
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Radar plotting on the nav map is accurate. Plotting on PPI screen isn't good enough for us to use, although in real life accuracy within 30 yards was expected. That's just part of the reason that "full realism" settings in the game are not real at all. They are nothing but difficulty settings.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-17, 10:31 AM   #3
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Man View Post
I'm playing SH4 trigger maru high realism and approaching contacts in poor visability on radar range 3000 yards I found I still couldn't see the target when the radar range got the the short range boundary,which should have been about 100 yards. When I pinged the target it showed 1000 yards. I closed in using sonar ranges an got visual contact at 300 yards, so the sonar is accurate and the radar PPI screen is way out. Has anyone else had this problem and is there a fix for it?
I'm assuming you're using TMO 2.5??

Use "1.5_Optical Targeting Correction 031312 TMO 2.5" with its Radar that accurately measures a target to within 50 yards or less. You need to know what your looking at, but once understood you can get accurate readings much as the real life radar produced.

There's a tutorial "Using Radar" with the mod that explains how to read the screen.

Of course you need to have a way to input that estimated Radar found range....that's why there is also a Range Dial added to the stock games "Attack Data Tool" to do just that....input Radar data to the TDC/Position Keeper:

You're right, the Sonar/Hydrophone gives exact, to the yard accurate range!?! Not realistic at all, but it is what it is.

You may wish to read the Optical Targeting Correction thread to understand what the mod does, why it does it, and what other version are there to use with other mods or versions of the stock game.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-17, 06:36 PM   #4
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
I'm assuming you're using TMO 2.5??

Use "1.5_Optical Targeting Correction 031312 TMO 2.5" with its Radar that accurately measures a target to within 50 yards or less. You need to know what your looking at, but once understood you can get accurate readings much as the real life radar produced.

There's a tutorial "Using Radar" with the mod that explains how to read the screen.

Of course you need to have a way to input that estimated Radar found range....that's why there is also a Range Dial added to the stock games "Attack Data Tool" to do just that....input Radar data to the TDC/Position Keeper:

You're right, the Sonar/Hydrophone gives exact, to the yard accurate range!?! Not realistic at all, but it is what it is.

You may wish to read the Optical Targeting Correction thread to understand what the mod does, why it does it, and what other version are there to use with other mods or versions of the stock game.
Actually there seems to be an error envelope of some kind attached to sonar ranges. Ping repeatedly and send to TDC and you'll see that ranges vary all over the place. They're apparently random but it's impossible to know exactly what the game is up to.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-17, 10:21 AM   #5
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins
Actually there seems to be an error envelope of some kind attached to sonar ranges. Ping repeatedly and send to TDC and you'll see that ranges vary all over the place. They're apparently random but it's impossible to know exactly what the game is up to.
Hmmm. Maybe I hadn't pinged more than a couple of times?

Seemed to me I always get a "nuts on" accurate reading after "sending" it to the TDC. The Message Text Box information (supposedly from the Sonarman) is always off, but the "sent" Sonar range has always been exact when I checked.

Could be the difference between me having all my gameplay "Options" zeroed out for testing purposes. Check marking that one option of "Realistic Sensors" may put a random accuracy measurement into the works??

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote