SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-24-14, 09:11 AM   #1
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465
Uploads: 0

Default What SH3 Commander can do

Just to satisfy my own curiosity, I decided to make a list of all the capabilities of SH3 Commander. I’ve omitted the obvious ones, like the crew lists, promotions, starting at sea, and everything else that shows up in the on-screen menus. The result is impressive, and I thought other SubSimmers might be interested.

SH3 Commander lets you:

Add mods which only take effect after a specified date
Add mods which are selected randomly from a set of alternatives
Add mods which take effect randomly, but only after a specified date
Add mods which only take effect if you have chosen a particular U-boat type
Add mods which only take effect if you have chosen a particular flotilla
Change only a portion of an SH3 text or binary file without replacing the entire file
Change a portion of an SH3 text or binary file only during a specified time period
Change a portion of an SH3 text or binary file selected randomly from a set of alternatives
Change a portion of an SH3 text or binary file randomly, but only during a specified date range

All of these changes are applied when SH3 is started from inside SH3 Commander.

All of them are removed and the original files are replaced when SH3 Commander is rolled back.

In addition, you can change the parameters of just about any option which can be set in SH3 Commander, such as career length, malfunction effects, or even wave height.

This is a really powerful tool. I have used it to apply MFM skins at appropriate dates, to randomize the band music (and pinups!) and to update the “Sperrenetze” charts. And I have only scratched the surface. I’m hoping that others will be inspired to find other uses.

A huge “THANK YOU to Jscones for building this most useful tool!
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-14, 01:08 PM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWalleye View Post
I’ve omitted the obvious ones, like the crew lists, promotions, starting at sea, and everything else that shows up in the on-screen menus.
Those "obvious ones" are the ones I always list when someone unfamiliar with Commander asks. After all this time, I'm embarrassed to say that I've never utilized any of the changes you list. You're right - some of them are very impressive.

My main use has been the Ship Names function, which I used for my mod to add several thousand new names that are automatically applied to ships you sink, and of course my own Loading Screens mod, which randomizes 100 loading screens and 25 different songs for the band to play.
Old 11-24-14, 02:07 PM   #3
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Those "obvious ones" are the ones I always list when someone unfamiliar with Commander asks. After all this time, I'm embarrassed to say that I've never utilized any of the changes you list. You're right - some of them are very impressive.

My main use has been the Ship Names function, which I used for my mod to add several thousand new names that are automatically applied to ships you sink, and of course my own Loading Screens mod, which randomizes 100 loading screens and 25 different songs for the band to play.
Steve, it was your Loading Screens mod that taught me how to randomize the band music. That mod showed me how to set up the Random folders properly. I had previously tried using the Random folder, but with an incorrect setup that didn't work. And once I got it working, I copied some of the sound files from your mod.

Thank you for showing me how, and thanks for making the mod that I basically copied. I regret that I forgot where I'd gotten it from. I should have given you credit.

Likewise, the MFM skins are ALL IABL's work. I just packaged them so that SH3C activates them on the correct date.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote